News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 23, 2016, 06:51:41 PM
VP candidates can't really help you across the board, although they can hurt you there. They can really just help you in one state. Virginia was the only swing state with a good candidate that had a democratic governor to replace the senator if they win. So, this really was the best choice to help win.

The fuck they can't help you across the board, look at Palin--she was the best thing for the McCain campaign to come out of the convention.  Fuck, why can't a North Korean booster rocket fall on you already.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on July 23, 2016, 11:03:26 AM
Exciting new rumours: significant parts of Trump's debts are held by Putin or his associates. It's just rumour at this point, but it certainly would be something.

If it turns out to be true, between this and Putin's funding of various rightist groups in Europe, it would appear that Putin is putting serious effort into destabilizing the West.

Silly.

Trump Org has $650M debt.  $170M is a bank line from Deutsche Bank.    $260M in two commercial mortgage loan from Ladder Capital, a US REIT that in turned is widely owned by various US mutual funds.    There's $110M of mortgages on the golf courses, leaving $90M of various other debt.

Even if Putin or his people bought up some piece of these debt it would be irrelevant, Trump Org could easily refinance.  His equity value in Trump Tower alone could cover it all.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on July 23, 2016, 06:28:10 PM
This is the most current thing I've come across - http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/trump-putin-yes-it-s-really-a-thing

No it really isn't
A good chunk of Trump's wealth is in the form of partial equity stakes in various commercial RE projects.  In other cases Trump just licenses the name.  The Soho project was just a licensing deal.  Two other developers put up the money and built it.  One of them was a Russian so yes of course there is Russian money.  Then again through a frisbee in Manhattan and there's a decent chance you'll hit a building that has Russian money in it.  Same with London.

The rest of the article is just 6 degrees of separation from Vlad.

No fire, only a wisp of smoke.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2016, 09:51:40 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 23, 2016, 06:51:41 PM
VP candidates can't really help you across the board, although they can hurt you there. They can really just help you in one state. Virginia was the only swing state with a good candidate that had a democratic governor to replace the senator if they win. So, this really was the best choice to help win.

The fuck they can't help you across the board, look at Palin--she was the best thing for the McCain campaign to come out of the convention.  Fuck, why can't a North Korean booster rocket fall on you already.

A brief convention bump of no consequence. In the end she was a poster child of the VP that can hurt across the board 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Legbiter

QuoteMiley Cyrus is pledging to leave the country if GOP White House hopeful Donald Trump becomes president.

"Honestly f--- this s--- I am moving if this is my president!" the 23-year-old "We Can't Stop" singer wrote to her more than 38 million Instagram followers on Wednesday.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/271683-miley-cyrus-pledges-to-leave-us-if-trump-wins

:hmm:

It's game over for Trump.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Phillip V

Quote from: Legbiter on July 24, 2016, 07:04:14 AM
QuoteMiley Cyrus is pledging to leave the country if GOP White House hopeful Donald Trump becomes president.

"Honestly f--- this s--- I am moving if this is my president!" the 23-year-old "We Can't Stop" singer wrote to her more than 38 million Instagram followers on Wednesday.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/271683-miley-cyrus-pledges-to-leave-us-if-trump-wins

:hmm:

It's game over for Trump.

Risky for celebrities to take a political stand, though  I do not know what Miley's current customer base is.

celedhring

Just got an email from the Hillary Campaign through Columbia. They are reaching out for filmmakers to document her campaign through 2-minute clips.

Wish I could help but I'm a bit far at the moment...  :hmm:

Legbiter

Trouble in paradise it seems.

QuoteSen. Bernie Sanders said Sunday that in the wake of the leaked emails from the Democratic National Committee its chairwoman, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, should step down.

"I think she should resign, period," as chair of the DNC, Sanders said on ABC's "This Week."

"I told you long time ago that the DNC was not running a fair operation, that they were supporting Secretary Clinton," Sanders told ABC News' George Stephanopoulos Sunday on "This Week." "So what I suggested to be true six months ago turned out to be true."

Sanders says he is "disappointed" by what the leaked emails show but "not shocked."

"Our campaign was about revitalizing American democracy. I want to see that incorporated into the Democratic Party," Sanders said. "And I don't believe that Debbie Wasserman Schultz is the person to be able to do that."

WikiLeaks released about 20,000 emails on Friday, just days before Democratic National Convention is set to kick off in Philadelphia, that appear to show Democratic National Committee officials attempting to aid Hillary Clinton's campaign in the party's primary.

Several of the emails released indicate that the officials, including Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, grew increasingly agitated with Sanders and his campaign as the primary season advanced.

One email exchange suggested bringing up Sanders' religious beliefs as a way to hurt his campaign in parts of the country.

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/bernie-sanders-calls-wasserman-schultz-resign-wake-dnc/story?id=40824983
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

I don't understand why that would be surprising. Of course the DNC has to be officially neutral* but certainly they would want a strong Dem like Hil over someone who only joined to the Dem party recently so he could run for the presidency.

Most unfortunate are the slimy folk revealed in those emails to have been wondering if they should use Bernie's Jewishness against him.

*Do they actually have to be neutral? RNC certainly isn't.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

RNC got stuck with the guy who joined Republican party to run for president.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2016, 12:05:33 PM
I don't understand why that would be surprising. Of course the DNC has to be officially neutral* but certainly they would want a strong Dem like Hil over someone who only joined to the Dem party recently so he could run for the presidency.

Most unfortunate are the slimy folk revealed in those emails to have been wondering if they should use Bernie's Jewishness against him.

*Do they actually have to be neutral? RNC certainly isn't.

on reddit, someone quoted a rule that discusses impartiality. I'm guessing that refers to official DNC acts rather than personal beliefs discussed over email.

/r/politics is a complete and utter cesspool

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 24, 2016, 12:22:38 PM
RNC got stuck with the guy who joined Republican party to run for president.

That doesn't mean that say Priebus didn't make it clear during primary that he didn't want Trump.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Phillip V on July 24, 2016, 08:07:49 AM
I do not know what Miley's current customer base is.
teenage and not so teenage girls accross the world.

Once a celebrity has achieved fame, it does not really matter where they live, so long as they can easily travel to the US.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.