News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

How can it be an untold story if there is a book about it?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jaron

If people are just going to talk trash on Twitter and call it politics...the Clinton campaign should hire the CdM :)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on June 10, 2016, 02:45:48 AM
If people are just going to talk trash on Twitter and call it politics...the Clinton campaign should hire the CdM :)

In befo da ban.  :ph34r:

garbon

QuoteIn an interview with Time Magazine, Donald Trump declared that his refusal to focus on policy is what his supporters want from their candidate.

"My voters don't care and the public doesn't care," Trump said. "They know you're going to do a good job once you're there."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Martinus

But, while brutally honest, he is right. It's not like Obama came to power because of any specific policy he advocated. In fact, from the elections 8 years ago I can only recall one specific policy promise he made - closing Gitmo.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2016, 10:49:38 AM
But, while brutally honest, he is right. It's not like Obama came to power because of any specific policy he advocated. In fact, from the elections 8 years ago I can only recall one specific policy promise he made - closing Gitmo.

Well that is just not true. He promised many things on top of Gitmo. I mean he didn't really do many of them but he did have many specific policy promises.

He just knows that anything he proposes can only alienate some of his current supporters and is unlikely to bring anybody new onboard. So probably the best strategy for him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2016, 10:49:38 AM

He ran pretty heavily on health care too. And whatever your opinion on ACA may be, it's undeniable that it was one of the cornerstones of his first term.

Barrister

No, sadly, Trump is right (and his success is proof).  Voters don't care about policies in the least.

Also true when talking about Obama.  I mean yes, if you go back he did have a formal platform (more so than Trump).  But really he campaigned on "hope" and "change", which is hardly any more a political platform than "make America great again".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Yeah, I mean it's not like Trump doesn't have concrete policy promises he will not keep. Like building the wall or deporting all illegals. :P

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 10, 2016, 10:55:19 AM
No, sadly, Trump is right (and his success is proof).  Voters don't care about policies in the least.

Also true when talking about Obama.  I mean yes, if you go back he did have a formal platform (more so than Trump).  But really he campaigned on "hope" and "change", which is hardly any more a political platform than "make America great again".

Yeah well Abraham Lincoln campaigned as 'Honest Old Abe' and published sheet music with songs to be played in saloons celebrating his plebeian origins. That has nothing to do with whether or not he had a political platform that people did care about. Obama said he was going to reign in the Constitutional excesses of the Bush administration and install universal health care. Those are pretty concrete policy points that did generate him support.

Any politician who has ever had slogans or an image has no political platform? Surely that is not what you are saying because that is total garbage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2016, 11:00:34 AM
Like building the wall or deporting all illegals. :P

Both are basically 'ten-thousand unicorns for all!' type promises. Completely impossible.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2016, 11:20:13 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 10, 2016, 10:55:19 AM

Yeah well Abraham Lincoln campaigned as 'Honest Old Abe' and published sheet music with songs to be played in saloons celebrating his plebeian origins. That has nothing to do with whether or not he had a political platform that people did care about. Obama said he was going to reign in the Constitutional excesses of the Bush administration and install universal health care. Those are pretty concrete policy points that did generate him support.

Any politician who has ever had slogans or an image has no political platform? Surely that is not what you are saying because that is total garbage.

Right? Certainly voters don't care about detailed policies (witness Bernie's policies with no clear plan of how those would accomplish) but they are pretty clued into policies. That's one of the big drivers of Bernie fans.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2016, 11:20:13 AM

I'm going to sound old, but back in the day politicians had slogans and platforms, but they very much ran on their platforms.  In Canada working with Reform our big campaign push was to put a multi-page copy of our campaign promises into every voters hands.  The Liberals did something similar with their "Red Book".  Ross Perot's entire campaign was built around buying half hour blocks of tv and lecturing people about deficits and free trade.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.