And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 10, 2016, 11:30:46 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2016, 11:20:13 AM
Any politician who has ever had slogans or an image has no political platform? Surely that is not what you are saying because that is total garbage.

I'm going to sound old, but back in the day politicians had slogans and platforms, but they very much ran on their platforms.  In Canada working with Reform our big campaign push was to put a multi-page copy of our campaign promises into every voters hands.  The Liberals did something similar with their "Red Book".  Ross Perot's entire campaign was built around buying half hour blocks of tv and lecturing people about deficits and free trade.

And today they put them on their websites. Back then they didn't have websites.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Okay, they need to stop with the awful talk of how Warren would be a great VP pick. :o I'd think her attack dog tone during the campaign thus far should disqualify her. We don't need a name-caller. :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

I'd very surprised if she named Warren.  It would not be in character for her and it would reduce Warren's value to the campaign.

More likely it will be Kaine or Castro.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

I don't think it would happen but this talk of it won't help winning over disaffected Bernie voters.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Gotta throw a bone to the Left Opposition :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Warren will be very supportive of the campaign regardless. 

What I'd really like to see is a rumor get out of Warren as the replacement pick for Scalia should the Senate keep blackballing Garland.  That would cause some squirming in the Senate.  But that probably won't happen either, HC will play it safe.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 10, 2016, 11:58:57 AM
I'd very surprised if she named Warren.  It would not be in character for her and it would reduce Warren's value to the campaign.

Yeah, Hillary is simply not going to choose somebody she doesn't know--and they don't really know each other--and Warren enjoys the niche as independent mover/shaker she has created for herself.

QuoteMore likely it will be Kaine or Castro.

Two completely conventional, competent, boring picks.  Which is exactly what we need.  I'm putting early odds on Kaine.

Phillip V

I assume Clinton will choose a cautious and loyal pick for VP.

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 10, 2016, 12:04:25 PM
Warren will be very supportive of the campaign regardless. 

What I'd really like to see is a rumor get out of Warren as the replacement pick for Scalia should the Senate keep blackballing Garland.  That would cause some squirming in the Senate.  But that probably won't happen either, HC will play it safe.

That might backfire.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2016, 10:49:38 AM
But, while brutally honest, he is right. It's not like Obama came to power because of any specific policy he advocated. In fact, from the elections 8 years ago I can only recall one specific policy promise he made - closing Gitmo.

Total bullshit.  Trumps people may want that, but Democrats (and Republicans) in 2008 did not.  Trump does run as "trust me, I'll fix all the problems".  It's the way  tyrants run for office.  It's election by cult of personality.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Thing is, if Trump isn't running on policy, what's the draw?

His winning personality?
His impressive experience in government?
His deep understanding of foreign affairs and security?
His sterling track record of avoiding debt default?

You could literally pull someone randomly off the street and have better presidential material.

Huh - maybe that is the draw.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

I'm starting to miss Obama. That dude is cool.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 10, 2016, 02:47:07 PM
Thing is, if Trump isn't running on policy, what's the draw?

His winning personality?
His impressive experience in government?
His deep understanding of foreign affairs and security?
His sterling track record of avoiding debt default?

Yes.

Also, make America great again. Details to be hammered out later.  ^_^

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.