News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Wow, Donald Trump sounds great! He should be President forever. 
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 10, 2016, 11:58:57 AM
I'd very surprised if she named Warren.  It would not be in character for her and it would reduce Warren's value to the campaign.

More likely it will be Kaine or Castro.

I know we are repairing relations but Castro is almost as radical as Sanders and he's even older.  I don't think he'd make a good choice.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

This thread needs Meri in here telling us Jill Stein would be a great VP choice for Hillary.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Legbiter on June 10, 2016, 03:06:23 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 10, 2016, 02:47:07 PM
Thing is, if Trump isn't running on policy, what's the draw?

His winning personality?
His impressive experience in government?
His deep understanding of foreign affairs and security?
His sterling track record of avoiding debt default?

Yes.

Also, make America great again. Details to be hammered out later.  ^_^

I hate to make the Hitler comparison, but this was pretty much the Nazi program back in '32.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Legbiter

Quote from: Razgovory on June 10, 2016, 03:43:45 PMI hate to make the Hitler comparison, but this was pretty much the Nazi program back in '32.

:console:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

At least this time we are calling our candidates Hitler before they even get elected.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Eh, reading a Hitler biography right now.  Things that that struck me, Hitler really didn't have program, just a few talking points he ram home.  In '32 even antisemitism was on the back burner.  Specifics were worked out by locals leaders to fit local conditions.  Hitler's message was pretty much "the establishment has failed you, they only serve special interests.  I can represent all Germans so elect me, I'm a genius".

Razgovory

Quote from: Legbiter on June 10, 2016, 03:45:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 10, 2016, 03:43:45 PMI hate to make the Hitler comparison, but this was pretty much the Nazi program back in '32.

:console:

Here's the thing, a lot of Trumps supporters rather like the Hitler comparison.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Razgovory

Except for the Alt-right.  Being Hitler seems fine with them.

Legbiter

Well if you think Trump's Hitler shouldn't you be doing everything in your power to stop him? Because you're not letting Hitler just take over America like that?

Razgovory

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 10, 2016, 03:54:47 PM
Eh, reading a Hitler biography right now.  Things that that struck me, Hitler really didn't have program, just a few talking points he ram home.  In '32 even antisemitism was on the back burner.  Specifics were worked out by locals leaders to fit local conditions.  Hitler's message was pretty much "the establishment has failed you, they only serve special interests.  I can represent all Germans so elect me, I'm a genius".

I would not disagree with the above.

If you haven't read the first 1/3 of Mein Kampf, it gives some good background. Last 2/3 is ranting. 
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

So, apparently Trump has scored the highest number of primary votes in the US history. The last record belonged to Dubya, with 10.8 million - Trump has now got 13.2 million.