2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2016, 06:21:37 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 03, 2016, 06:17:06 PM
Also - Rich was innocent.

Feel free to elaborate.

The charges against him were unusual - it was one of the first criminal RICO case ever brought outside of the organized crime context, and one the first to charge alleged regulatory infractions as criminal rather than civil conduct.  The criminal complaint charged violations relating to the fiendishly complex commodities trading regs in place during the 70s as part of the Nixonian price control schemes.  Essentially seeking to criminalize difficult judgment calls interpreting regs.  Two of the most well-respected tax experts in the country - Marty Ginsburg and Bernie Wolfman - wrote reports declaring Rich's tax treatment was entirely correct.  To my knowledge, no effort was made to refute those conclusions. 

The Rich case was about the young up and coming Rudy G trying to make a name for himself and cross-party appeal by targeting a wealthy financier operating out of Switzerland and doing deals with the Iranian ayatollahs.  And it worked.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 03, 2016, 06:11:18 PM
Trump has broken the back of the Republican party. Its leaders lay low at his feet. He will straddle Cleveland like a colossus.

Once the party of Lincoln and Eisenhower. Now, that of Donald J Trump  :cry:

Trump could end up with 1400 delegates :bleeding:

Forget 1,237 Delegates. Trump Could End Up with Over 1,400

All the fancy analyses of whether Trump could hit the magic number of 1,237 delegates probably go out the window with tonight's results. According to FiveThirtyEight friend and expert delegate tracker Daniel Nichanian, who has tracked both unbound and bound delegates, Trump entered tonight with 991 delegates, needing only 246 more to reach a majority. From here, it's pretty easy to see how Trump could run the table and end up with more than 1,400.

Indiana will probably provide Trump an additional 57 delegates tonight. It's also easy to see how Trump could sweep New Jersey (51 delegates), Montana (27 delegates) and all 53 districts in California (172 delegates). West Virginia has a convoluted delegate selection process, but it's possible Trump could win 30 of its 34 delegates. Trump now also may have a chance at winning Nebraska (36 delegates) and South Dakota (29 delegates).

New Mexico, Oregon and Washington award their delegates on a proportional basis, but let's suppose Trump wins half of that pool of 96 delegates. That's 48 delegates. Add it all together, and Trump would enter the GOP convention with 1,441 delegates. Wow.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

There is something truly impressive about the consistently awful judgment of Carly Fiorina.  Is there any doubt that if she were alive and in Britain in 1912, she would have reservations on the Titanic?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 03, 2016, 07:10:48 PM
There is something truly impressive about the consistently awful judgment of Carly Fiorina.  Is there any doubt that if she were alive and in Britain in 1912, she would have reservations on the Titanic?

Did she turn down a better offer?

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2016, 11:23:17 PM
Hey, if there is a contested convention, it clearly means that the majority of Democratic voters do not want Clinton. Just ask Berkut.

Oh, you sure got me!

If Clinton does not get a majority of votes on the first ballot, then my position is perfectly consistent - it will be beholden on her to then use the convention process, whatever it might be, to secure the nomination.

This article makes it clear that if that were to happen, she is very likely to win anyway. If it happens with the Republicans, maybe Trump would win anyway.

You act, in your normal dbag manner, like this is some kind of telling shot at me, but of course I am not whining, like you and Trump supporters, about how that process should not be allowed to happen because Trump has a plurality of votes.

If Trump does not secure a majority, then the process is defined for how a nominee should be selected.

If Clinton cannot secure a majority (which of course makes no fucking sense since there are only two possible choices), then there is a process there defined.

In both cases, that is perfectly fine with me.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 03, 2016, 07:10:48 PM
:lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

re Bernie contesting the convention: the superdelegates of the Democratic Party--who are all distinguished party leaders, state governors, U.S. Senators, members of the US House of Representatives and DNC members--are not going to change their pledges for a guy who didn't join the party until 2015, no matter how much he caucused with them in the past as an independent and no matter how much he complains about a party process he's never dealt with before.   

This is what happens when you are not a member of a political party, see: "Party Politics" and Trump, bitching about and Trump, complaining about.