News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Woah, Sanders lost New York's 13th by almost 30 percentage points. That's where I lived and - most importantly - where Columbia U, Barnard, etc... are located. It also covers a big chunk of Harlem, but if Sanders can't even manage a good show there, he's toast.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2016, 02:27:21 AM
Woah, Sanders lost New York's 13th by almost 30 percentage points. That's where I lived and - most importantly - where Columbia U, Barnard, etc... are located. It also covers a big chunk of Harlem, but if Sanders can't even manage a good show there, he's toast.

Pothead Bernie Bros forgot to register as Democrats? :P

celedhring

That's what most of my NY friends complained about. Truth be said, a six month deadline seems unnecessarily stringent.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2016, 04:50:27 AM
That's what most of my NY friends complained about. Truth be said, a six month deadline seems unnecessarily stringent.

I don't see why that is a problem at all - except for perhaps for new voters. Seems like such a rule would prevent a lot of people from just switching to a party that they don't actually care about but want to vote in the primary for that party in a particular election. I don't see why parties would want an influx of voters who don't actually care about their party.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I meant new voters mostly. Ideally we want to promote participation in the democratic process, and such a deadline stifles it. A lot of people that wanted to vote yesterday probably didn't know they would six months ago.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2016, 05:22:03 AM
I meant new voters mostly. Ideally we want to promote participation in the democratic process, and such a deadline stifles it. A lot of people that wanted to vote yesterday probably didn't know they would six months ago.

Well the good news is that, and I just looked it up, while deadline to switch parties was last October - you could still register to vote up until the end of March. :)

Of course, I don't know what this all means as I only switched to Dems past that October deadline but still had received Dem absentee ballot. Academic at this point though as I ended up voting in Global primary rather than NY.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2016, 05:32:50 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2016, 05:22:03 AM

Well the good news is that, and I just looked it up, while deadline to switch parties was last October - you could still register to vote up until the end of March. :)

Fair enough, I should know better than to trust irate Facebook posters.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2016, 05:53:25 AM
Yeah, who cares what independents think.

While independents are important voters, I don't see why they should be relevant for party elections. :huh:

I don't really understand why states have open primaries.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2016, 05:54:34 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2016, 05:53:25 AM
Yeah, who cares what independents think.

While independents are important voters, I don't see why they should be relevant for party elections. :huh:

I don't really understand why states have open primaries.

Me neither.  It is pretty hilarious to see all this umbrage over the primary election season.  I've only voted in a primary once since 1992, and that was in 2000 when Maryland's GOP allowed Unaffiliated to vote in their primary--mainly because in some counties, Unaffiliated outnumber registered Republicans.

I mean, it is part of the deal when you are not a member of a political party.  Don't see why people didn't catch that in fucking 9th grade Civics class.

Eddie Teach

Sure, but most states let people change their registration in a timely manner. You shouldn't have to be locked in in October.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2016, 06:08:32 AM
Sure, but most states let people change their registration in a timely manner. You shouldn't have to be locked in in October.

But again those would be people who are only changing to a party because they feel like swaying who is that party's nominee. Why would that actually be beneficial to the parties?

Eddie Teach

Because they want a majority in November and depend on independent and crossover voters for that?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2016, 06:08:32 AM

There you go, being all selfish and shit and thinking only about the voter. The lead time isn't to inconvenience the voter, it's for the convenience of the parties.  Who do you think needs to get the voter registration rolls beforehand in order to canvas their districts, to target voters, to "bring out the vote" from direct mailings to door-knocking?  The political parties.

Besides, not all state bureaucracies as the same size, funded in the same manner or integrated in the same systems.   Paper-pushing takes time.

The fuck, man.  You act like voters grow on trees.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2016, 06:15:55 AM
Because they want a majority in November and depend on independent and crossover voters for that?

Sure but they also want a politician who is a good reflection of their party. Letting individuals who have no investment make choices about who will represent the party seems nonsensical.