News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on April 19, 2016, 01:48:37 PM
If you guys keep the Electoral College, at least the rules for awarding electors should be made uniform for all states. A situation where some states award the electors proportionally and some by winner-takes-all principle makes the system wildly undemocratic.

How so?  We consider countries with first past the post democratic, and we consider countries with proportional voting democratic.

Eddie Teach

I think Martinus is actually thinking of the party conventions and not the electoral college. That one potential stray vote from Maine or Nebraska almost never matters. And nobody awards electors proportionally.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 19, 2016, 01:59:00 PM
I'm predicting close win for Hilary, big win for Donald.

Bold, predicting exactly what the polls show.  :P

It is actually quite important how well Donald does. Donald needs a big delegate majority to get on track to get a first ballot win at the convention. ~70-75 of the 95 delegates would be a big blow for him. Depending on how the vote is distributed, he may get a massive majority win and lose a decent number of delegates. There are lots of congressional districts that have almost no republicans but are highly educated and high income. Those voters tend not to vote trump in other states, and those districts with puny vote totals will count as much as republican districts with massive totals.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on April 19, 2016, 02:43:43 PM
Bold, predicting exactly what the polls show.  :P

I haven't been reading the polls. :P

Edit- so you're saying stopping Trump would be up to garbon, if he hadn't defected the party and fled the country?  :hmm:

Legbiter

Quote from: celedhring on April 19, 2016, 01:40:55 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 19, 2016, 01:21:16 PM
Okay. Based on browsing Reddit I expeced no less than 100% each for The Donald and Bernie.

Not according to my Facebook. Bernie will get 0% because of DNC's voter supression practices.

Berniebros look to be in for a tough night.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Martinus

Quote from: Legbiter on April 19, 2016, 03:14:58 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 19, 2016, 01:40:55 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 19, 2016, 01:21:16 PM
Okay. Based on browsing Reddit I expeced no less than 100% each for The Donald and Bernie.

Not according to my Facebook. Bernie will get 0% because of DNC's voter supression practices.

Berniebros look to be in for a tough night.

:lol:

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 19, 2016, 02:45:40 PM

Edit- so you're saying stopping Trump would be up to garbon, if he hadn't defected the party and fled the country?  :hmm:

Sort of. What I'm saying is the fate of the republic is in the hands of those rare and odd republican birds - like garbon - that live in NYC districts.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Admiral Yi

Lots of Republicans upstate I believe.

I would be interested to see how the Jew vote breaks.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2016, 03:32:02 PM

He is saying that the state is split into districts based on population. But some of those districts have very few republicans so they will be over-represented. I think that is what he is saying. Not that New York as a whole lacks Republicans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Why is Trump shown as a frog so often? Is it because he has the power of hypnotoad?

The Brain

I would be interested to see how the Jew vote breaks.

They're voting on the Jew question as well?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2016, 03:34:01 PM

He is saying that the state is split into districts based on population. But some of those districts have very few republicans so they will be over-represented. I think that is what he is saying. Not that New York as a whole lacks Republicans.

Exactly.

NY has 95 delegates. 14 will be allocated based on the statewide vote.

81 will be allocated based on the the vote in each congressional district, with the following rules:

If the winner gets over 50%, he gets 3
If the winner gets less than 50%, he gets 2 and the first runner up gets 1

So basically a republican upstate districts may have as many republican voters as a half dozen NYC districts, but each of the districts will count the same.

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

That page explains "Pepe" but it doesn't explain the connection with Trump.