News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: NYT[...]We're seeing that both parties are deeply fragmented. These days the Democratic Party can be split up in a similar way, with old-school centrists on one side and a utopian progressive wing on the other. Populists are making up about the same percentage on each side at this moment. Almost every primary election brings grand theories about permanent fractures, but each side usually winds up coming together — though not always too comfortably.

If we had a parliamentary system, we would most likely wind up with four big groupings: Hard leftists and right-wing nationalists would each win about 15-20 percent, and then social democrats and the center-right would claim 30-35 percent each.[...]
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/19/opinion/campaign-stops/a-new-york-primary-that-actually-matters.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

:frog:

Zanza

When will the results of the NY primary be in?

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on April 19, 2016, 01:09:44 PM
When will the results of the NY primary be in?

Sometime late tonight. They stay open late in NY. So I wouldn't expect to see much until you wake up tomorrow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Okay. Based on browsing Reddit I expeced no less than 100% each for The Donald and Bernie.

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on April 19, 2016, 01:21:16 PM
Okay. Based on browsing Reddit I expeced no less than 100% each for The Donald and Bernie.

Not according to my Facebook. Bernie will get 0% because of DNC's voter supression practices.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on April 19, 2016, 01:40:55 PM
Bernie will get 0% because of DNC's voter supression practices.

Any idea what this is a reference to?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2016, 01:41:54 PM

Bernie bros are conspiratorial. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2016, 01:41:54 PM

Deadline to register for NY's DNC was apparently back in October and most of Bernie's supporters are independents.

Martinus

If you guys keep the Electoral College, at least the rules for awarding electors should be made uniform for all states. A situation where some states award the electors proportionally and some by winner-takes-all principle makes the system wildly undemocratic.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 19, 2016, 01:48:37 PM
If you guys keep the Electoral College, at least the rules for awarding electors should be made uniform for all states. A situation where some states award the electors proportionally and some by winner-takes-all principle makes the system wildly undemocratic.

The whole point of the EC is that each state run its own election so that strikes me as unlikely.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Most of the states realize that winner-takes-all makes them more important, so there's just a couple states that do it differently- they have winner of each congressional district gets the elector.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on April 19, 2016, 01:45:06 PM
Deadline to register for NY's DNC was apparently back in October and most of Bernie's supporters are independents.

Asoka.

Eddie Teach

I'm predicting close win for Hilary, big win for Donald.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

If we're going to do anything like that, it would make sense to go the full-measure of just abolishing the EC.  The EC isn't meant to be democratic in the first place--it's the exact opposite, and intentionally-so.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on April 19, 2016, 02:00:04 PM

If we're going to do anything like that, it would make sense to go the full-measure of just abolishing the EC.  The EC isn't meant to be democratic in the first place--it's the exact opposite, and intentionally-so.

Then there is the idea of Faithless Electors. That an elector is actually allowed to do that is amazing.