News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Trump will ride to Cleveland on a white horse for his coronation and snatch the crown of GOP nominee from Reince's hands like Napoleon and the Pius VII.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 19, 2016, 10:09:49 PM
Trump will ride to Cleveland on a white horse for his coronation and snatch the crown of GOP nominee from Reince's hands like Napoleon and the Pius VII.  :lol:

lol, that would be so awesome.   :lol:

Although the next best thing would be to watch him use the Force and choke out Admiral Rinse Grievous through the TV during a morning segment of Fox & Friends.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on April 19, 2016, 10:06:57 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 19, 2016, 10:02:27 PM
It seems General Donald J. Trump and his Army of New York have seen off the pathetic counterattack by counter revolutionary GOP forces. The end is near.

He is still considerably off the pace to get 50% of delegates locked down on the first ballot.

He's gonna end way ahead of Cruz. Choosing anyone but  Trump will be cutting their own throat. Which they may choose to do for the good of the party, but it's still a clear loss for the establishment.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

I'm going to hold with the "just short of 1237" prediction, and on the second ballot, Trump probably loses at least 30-40% of his delegates.  If Cruz really is the scheming/organizing genius that he is portrayed to be, he might just grab it all before it even goes to a 3rd.

Berkut

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 19, 2016, 10:25:39 PM
I'm going to hold with the "just short of 1237" prediction, and on the second ballot, Trump probably loses at least 30-40% of his delegates.  If Cruz really is the scheming/organizing genius that he is portrayed to be, he might just grab it all before it even goes to a 3rd.

No matter how good a "schemer" he is, everyone still despises the little weasel. Except for Beebs, of course.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 19, 2016, 10:21:38 PM
He's gonna end way ahead of Cruz. Choosing anyone but  Trump will be cutting their own throat. Which they may choose to do for the good of the party, but it's still a clear loss for the establishment.

How can something be good for the party but cutting their own throat? :unsure:

Barrister

I'm with 'just short of 1237 but picks up enough delegates to win on the first ballot'.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2016, 10:26:49 PM

No matter how good a "schemer" he is, everyone still despises the little weasel. Except for Beebs, of course.

#NeverTrump
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

And choosing Trump would be cutting their own throat. If the party has three options:

-nominate a populist with strong hints of racism and nativism, that the country hates,
-nominate the first ever major party hispanic, that is too conservative to win a general election and apparently very unlikable,
-nominate some other dude that is respectable, but didn't run and will set off a firestorm among the supporters of those that did,

I don't see why they would choose door #1. The days of winning national elections with a coalition of just white people is receding further into the past every day.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2016, 10:29:48 PM

I think the idea is that, while in the short term it would be better for the party to nominate Trump because he's won the most in the primaries, he can't win in November, but if they deny him the nomination, while they'll still lose in November, they'll have sent a clear signal that only "respectable" candidates need bother running in the next election cycle.  Or, put another way, if Trump gets the nomination and loses in November, he might just run again in 2020, and the party establishment would like to avoid that.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on April 19, 2016, 10:35:19 PM
I don't see why they would choose door #1. The days of winning national elections with a coalition of just white people is receding further into the past every day.

They seem quite happy in doing so; in fact, all evidence suggests that for the last several elections they insist on not only running on that premise, but doubling down on it.

Lettow77

Quote from: alfred russel on April 19, 2016, 10:35:19 PM
The days of winning national elections with a coalition of just white people is receding further into the past every day.

Now see, that's a defeatist attitude. The great state of Mississippi has oppressed minorities of all stripes on a much smaller base of white voters than the US average. You just have to believe.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2016, 10:29:48 PM

Long term good for the party. Short to medium term it would be cutting their throat.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

NYTimes is projecting Trump won 89 delegates and Kasich 3!

1 Karma Chameleon point