And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 21, 2016, 01:05:34 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 21, 2016, 12:54:19 PM
Their business what they defend.  We're talking about what American politicians understand to be Israeli security.

So if the security of Jewish colonists in the West Bank is threatened, that would be negotiable?  Since American politicians supposedly understand Israeli security to hew to the pre-1967 borders exclusively?

Well to be fair the Palestinians have fired shitloads of rockets into the pre-1967 borders and we have not really done much about it. So whatever 'negotiable' means I have no idea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2016, 12:53:36 PM
It doesn't matter - it's just odd that one country's politician not only considers security of another country non-negotiable - but considers anyone who thinks differently to be unfit for an elected office. It smacks of treason.

If it makes you feel better we do not consider our NATO allies security negotiable either. Just nobody gets all pissy when we declare we support Poland and Latvia. Is that treason as well? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2016, 01:06:16 PM
The only reason we pay is a bribe that came out of that Camp David Accord thing right? I know we also give/gave a shit load to Egypt for no particular reason as well.

So why continue to bribe them?  We pay Egypt 1/3 of what we pay Israel, and that's after Egypt achieved a surprise military victory over them.  Otherwise we'd be talking about the West Bank, Gaza, the Golan, *and* the Sinai.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2016, 01:08:31 PM
It doesn't matter - it's just odd that one country's politician not only considers security of another country non-negotiable - but considers anyone who thinks differently to be unfit for an elected office. It smacks of treason.

If it makes you feel better we do not consider our NATO allies security negotiable either. Just nobody gets all pissy when we declare we support Poland and Latvia. Is that treason as well? :hmm:

Has Israel pledged itself to *our* defense in anything like a NATO fashion?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2016, 01:07:32 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 21, 2016, 01:05:34 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 21, 2016, 12:54:19 PM
Their business what they defend.  We're talking about what American politicians understand to be Israeli security.

So if the security of Jewish colonists in the West Bank is threatened, that would be negotiable?  Since American politicians supposedly understand Israeli security to hew to the pre-1967 borders exclusively?

Well to be fair the Palestinians have fired shitloads of rockets into the pre-1967 borders and we have not really done much about it. So whatever 'negotiable' means I have no idea.

And the Israelis have dropped shitloads of bombs onto the post-1967 borders and we have done less than nothing about it.  I don't know what "negotiable" means either, it's your candidate who said it.

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 21, 2016, 01:10:33 PM

Has Israel pledged itself to *our* defense in anything like a NATO fashion?

Nope. Israel is a pretty useless ally. But let's be real: those dudes are in NATO to be under our nice umbrella. When China nukes us I don't think the Euros are going to ride to our defense.

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 21, 2016, 01:11:44 PM
And the Israelis have dropped shitloads of bombs onto the post-1967 borders and we have done less than nothing about it

QuoteI don't know what "negotiable" means either, it's your candidate who said it.

So? This is international politics not Kindergarten. Sorry stuff isn't fair.. Does supporting a candidate give me super mind reading powers? :hmm:

This issue is not going to change no matter who gets elected so why should it influence who I vote for?

Malthus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 21, 2016, 12:34:54 PM
Where is she right?  It's not an assertion of fact, it's a message of relentless support for Israel whatever the circumstances.  Israel's "security" is certainly negotiable as far I'm concerned; the use, for instance, of American troops or American taxpayer money to defend the "security" of newly-built West Bank settlements should be very much negotiable.

As a Canadian, I'd say US security is "non negotiable". Hell, I'd say that for a bunch of countries, typically other first world ones. If French security was threatened, or that of the UK, I'd expect Canada to step up. 

As far as I know, US troops have never, even once, defended an Israeli settlement. I doubt that Hillary is offering any, or that Israel is asking for any. 

Yes, the US sends Israel cash, as it does to a bunch of other ME countries (notably, Egypt). It probably ought to stop doing that. If it did, it would not mean it thought security in the ME was "negotiable".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 21, 2016, 01:09:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2016, 01:06:16 PM
The only reason we pay is a bribe that came out of that Camp David Accord thing right? I know we also give/gave a shit load to Egypt for no particular reason as well.

So why continue to bribe them?  We pay Egypt 1/3 of what we pay Israel, and that's after Egypt achieved a surprise military victory over them.  Otherwise we'd be talking about the West Bank, Gaza, the Golan, *and* the Sinai.

What kind of odd counterfactual world do you live in? Israel defeated Egypt in '73 and HANDED the Sinai pack to them as part of the Camp David peace agreement.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2016, 01:08:31 PM

If Poland started, say, firing off rockets into Russia, I would expect the US government not to support us at all cost if Russia strikes back.

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 21, 2016, 01:09:27 PM
So why continue to bribe them?  We pay Egypt 1/3 of what we pay Israel, and that's after Egypt achieved a surprise military victory over them.

Wait...Egypt won the war?

QuoteOtherwise we'd be talking about the West Bank, Gaza, the Golan, *and* the Sinai.

Gosh I thought that was a negotiation.

Capetan Mihali

As discussed above, we're in an alliance together.  Israel does not have the duties of an ally towards the US or Canada, AFAIK.

Still, I'm genuinely glad many posters here agree that the US should cut all military aid to Israel.  That's been a controversial position in the past, but I think people are seeing how intractable the Israeli government has become and no longer see any hope for a positive outcome from "constructive engagement" with Israel.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2016, 01:17:16 PM
If Poland started, say, firing off rockets into Russia, I would expect the US government not to support us at all cost if Russia strikes back.

Are you suggesting that if Israel launched an invasion of Jordan, or something, the US would support them at all costs? :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 21, 2016, 01:20:03 PM
As discussed above, we're in an alliance together.  Israel does not have the duties of an ally towards the US or Canada, AFAIK.

Still, I'm genuinely glad many posters here agree that the US should cut all military aid to Israel.  That's been a controversial position in the past, but I think people are seeing how intractable the Israeli government has become and no longer see any hope for a positive outcome from "constructive engagement" with Israel.

I don't think there can be "constructive engagement" with either side. But I have had that opinion since I was a teenager.

But yeah supposedly Israel is an "ally" but I do not know what the terms of that alliance are as far as their obligations.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2016, 01:20:59 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2016, 01:17:16 PM

Are you suggesting that if Israel launched an invasion of Jordan, or something, the US would support them at all costs? :hmm:

Ok let's say Poland illegally invaded and occupied the Kaliningrad district.