And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 15, 2016, 10:04:19 AM
Quote from: DGuller on March 15, 2016, 09:57:29 AM
Counterpoint:  Israel's neighbors and enemies are orders of magnitude more despicable.  Liberals that agitate for absolutism in this case directly aid the murderous, sexist, homophobic, and religiously intolerant cultures, all things which they're usually against when it catches their attention.

Counter-counterpoint:  So?  I agree.  They are worse.  Why does pumping billions into Israel, whose explicit policy of ethnically cleansing the West Bank through the construction of settlements defended by the IDF we (the US) supposedly oppose yet have been unable to stop or even slow significantly, change a damn thing?
I am again back to not comprehending your points.  What is the question being asked, without confusing tangents this time?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: DGuller on March 15, 2016, 10:14:21 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 15, 2016, 10:04:19 AM
Quote from: DGuller on March 15, 2016, 09:57:29 AM
Counterpoint:  Israel's neighbors and enemies are orders of magnitude more despicable.  Liberals that agitate for absolutism in this case directly aid the murderous, sexist, homophobic, and religiously intolerant cultures, all things which they're usually against when it catches their attention.

Counter-counterpoint:  So?  I agree.  They are worse.  Why does pumping billions into Israel, whose explicit policy of ethnically cleansing the West Bank through the construction of settlements defended by the IDF we (the US) supposedly oppose yet have been unable to stop or even slow significantly, change a damn thing?
I am again back to not comprehending your points.  What is the question being asked, without confusing tangents this time?

What does giving Israel our tax money (to build settlements and bomb Gaza) do, in any way, to fight these awful sexist homophobic Arab states that surround them?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 15, 2016, 10:12:39 AM
And I say, in all seriousness, it's a horrible state of affairs for a whole lot of people; if our domestic politics are contributing (in billions of USD) to this situation, it's our moral responsibility to fight US support for Israel in 2016.

In light of the recent massive release of aid funds to the disgusting al-Sisi regime, it doesn't strike me personally as the highest moral imperative.  YMMV.   

(YHVH?)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Phillip V

Quote from: celedhring on March 15, 2016, 09:30:37 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 15, 2016, 09:05:38 AM
Trump needs to win 272 delegates today according to 538 IIRC.  So, 9 down and 263 to go.

It's gonna be a weird night. Rubio's gonna lose Florida, while Kasich will surely carry Ohio. If Rubio drops, Kasich will end up taking up the establishment crown just by being stubborn.  :lol:

By being the last adult standing.

DGuller

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 15, 2016, 10:16:40 AM
What does giving Israel our tax money (to build settlements and bomb Gaza) do, in any way, to fight these awful sexist homophobic Arab states that surround them?
I'm not going to get in the details of our support.  In general, what American support does for Israel is protect it against myopic liberals from the rest of the western world, who for a while now have tried to wage diplomatic war against Israel and stymie it in big ways and small. 

Tonitrus

An American election thread suffering an Israel-in-global-politics hijack.  :(

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 15, 2016, 10:24:24 AM
An American election thread suffering an Israel-in-global-politics hijack.  :(

Israel ruins American politics yet again :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 15, 2016, 10:20:00 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 15, 2016, 10:12:39 AM
And I say, in all seriousness, it's a horrible state of affairs for a whole lot of people; if our domestic politics are contributing (in billions of USD) to this situation, it's our moral responsibility to fight US support for Israel in 2016.

In light of the recent massive release of aid funds to the disgusting al-Sisi regime, it doesn't strike me personally as the highest moral imperative.  YMMV.   

(YHVH?)

Israel's supposed to be the beacon of democracy and liberty in the horrible Arab cesspool of the Middle East.  I'm perfectly willing to "downgrade" Israel to Egypt's level.  With an according downgrade of foreign aid, of course.  And then we can compare them side-by-side, and see who's more disgusting. :)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: DGuller on March 15, 2016, 10:24:13 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 15, 2016, 10:16:40 AM
I'm not going to get in the details of our support.  In general, what American support does for Israel is protect it against myopic liberals from the rest of the western world, who for a while now have tried to wage diplomatic war against Israel and stymie it in big ways and small.

:lol:  Don't get into the details, by all means.  Just wave that American flag and keep on waving it.  If we could stymie Israel's building of new settlements in the West Bank -- which we, as a nation, not as "liberals" (lol at DGuller attacking liberals), oppose -- in even small ways, *that* would be something.

Eddie Teach

Trying to get this thread back on track.  :sleep:

Capetan Mihali

Hey, that psycho Malthus took it off track, not me.  I was talking pure US presidential politics. :)

derspiess

Been a while since we had an old fashioned Jew fight here.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Here's another. Trump is all over the place, as expected.

celedhring

Quote from: derspiess on March 15, 2016, 10:42:54 AM
Been a while since we had an old fashioned Jew fight here.

Yeah, was thinking that it had been over a year since the last Israel Languish fight-debate.