Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jaron on March 13, 2016, 02:04:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2016, 02:01:00 PM
Quote from: Jaron on March 13, 2016, 01:54:27 PM
Those who think its okay to plunder businesses and the wealthy to get "free" stuff for everyone else will vote Bernie.

Weird. I though looters were black and we know they don't feel the bern.

Great point.

US lower class blacks almost always go establishment. Since they prefer to stay on the "plantation" they'll vote for Hillary.

I see you're trying to get back into the troll game, but you're a bit rusty. :console:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 13, 2016, 06:35:46 PM
Those who think its okay to plunder businesses and the wealthy to get "free" stuff for everyone else will vote Bernie.

Great point.

US lower class blacks almost always go establishment. Since they prefer to stay on the "plantation" they'll vote for Hillary.

I see you're trying to get back into the troll game, but you're a bit rusty. :console:

Do you disagree with what I said? Are black voters not overwhelmingly supporting Hillary?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Habbaku

Great point.

The mistake is assuming he ever left it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Habbaku on March 13, 2016, 07:08:08 PM

Great point.

The mistake is assuming he ever left it.

You don't think his conversion to LDS is legit?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2016, 05:16:17 PM
Okay, so an irrelevant anecdote?

In the first place the anecdote was relevant. It wasn't an anecdote about a stabbing over 2% milk versus whole milk.

Secondly, and more as an aside, there's a real misunderstanding that anecdotes are per se irrelevant, which I think is what you really meant. Anecdotes are the way we communicate our lived experience of an issue, and they do serve to reinforce a point.

The problem arises when anecdotal evidence is used to generalize in inappropriate ways, or when you don't feel like the person telling the anecdote has any credibility ie they are lying or bullshitting. Instead of anecdotes, we tend to put our faith in statistics, which as dguller will tell you, are incredibly opaque and unreliable.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Not even Trump could make Pete Rose great again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2016, 05:03:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2016, 03:20:49 PM
Trump's slogan is "Make America great again".  I'm curious which countries are greater than the US.

The slogan does not imply other countries are greater than the US-- only that the the US is not great like it used to be.

I think it implies at the very least America is not a great country, at least in the opinion of Trump.  Perhaps instead of making this country "great again" he could just leave to another one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2016, 07:46:05 PM

He was great enough the first time.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Wasn't great enough in 1970 or 1983 though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2016, 08:23:44 PM

This might qualify as apostasy from Cardinal nation.  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on March 13, 2016, 08:42:30 PM

Nah. They weren't even division rivals back then.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on March 13, 2016, 08:42:30 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2016, 08:23:44 PM

I was a Reds fan until the mid-80s, and my favorite individual team ever is still the Big Red Machine of 75 and 76*.  On top of that Pete was just flat-out great in his prime.  Not a great manager, and a deeply flawed person.  But a hell of a player.

*I'm slightly too young to remember either season, but I remember back as early as '78 when some of the players were still on the roster.

alfred russel

Well, I never would have guessed that Marge Schott's manager would end up supporting Donald Trump.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014