News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on March 04, 2016, 01:19:52 PM
what was the quote? something something, bring mitt to his knees? I don't think that's sexual. that's a pretty common phrase to refer to bringing someone down. so, people who make it sexual (either jokingly or seriously) typically have to insert some added tone/gesture to make it sexual. the default, however, isn't sexual.

Maybe you should look up the quote first. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2016, 01:28:02 PMMaybe you should look up the quote first. :)

why would i come to languish if i looked up news  :mad:

Malthus

Quote from: LaCroix on March 04, 2016, 01:19:52 PM
what was the quote? something something, bring mitt to his knees? I don't think that's sexual. that's a pretty common phrase to refer to bringing someone down. so, people who make it sexual (either jokingly or seriously) typically have to insert some added tone/gesture to make it sexual. the default, however, isn't sexual.

Nope. It was that Mitt was so desperate for Trump's support in 2012, he'd have "dropped to his knees" if Trump asked him.

Quote"I could have said, 'Mitt, drop to your knees,' and he would have dropped to his knees," the real-estate mogul told supporters in Portland, Maine, ...

http://nypost.com/2016/03/03/trump-romney-would-have-gotten-on-his-knees-for-me-in-2012/

Being brought to your knees (by something or someone) is totally different - it means to bring someone down.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

LaCroix

ahh, that's definitely sexual

why is there even an argument on this

Malthus

Quote from: LaCroix on March 04, 2016, 01:33:45 PM

why is there even an argument on this

It is only an "argument" if you add the right emoticon to the statement "Trump didn't really mean it like that".

I would suggest one of  ;) or  :goodboy:, but really, anything expressing extreme skepticism would do.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on March 02, 2016, 05:24:37 PM
I think my biggest mistake was assuming that eventually the public would become exhausted by the media's constant coverage of all thing Trump.  That hasn't happened and doesn't seem to be likely to happen any time soon.  The adage about no such thing as bad publicity has certainly proven true; the coverage of Trump has been overwhelmingly negative, yet he thrives.

My second was underestimating the impact of The Donald's mastery of social media.  In 2008 Barack, I think, benefited over Hil and McCain by being able to use social media while they struggled with it, but by 2012 everyone seemed to be on a level playing field.  Trump, though, has been something else in this regard.

Another factor, related to both of these, is that Donald has been able to dominate the post debate coverage so well that he manages to win debates he didn't perform that well in.  Barack's followers tried something like that after his poor performance in the first 2012 debate; but Trump has actually gotten it to work.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: alfred russel on March 04, 2016, 01:22:54 PM
I hesitate to post this, but I'll go ahead because I'll at least give you guys to have fun laughing at me  :), but I think Trump has gone a bit over the line and it is going to hurt him.

I hope you're right, Dorsey.

I heard a clip on ABC News of a post debate rally Trump held.  You can hear the crowd chant "DON-ALD! DON-ALD!" similar to the "JERRY! JERRY!" chants on the Jerry Springer show.  I thought that was appropriate.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

No, only in your filthy mind.  Pretty sure he meant Mitt would drop to his knees to beg.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on March 04, 2016, 02:08:49 PM

No, only in your filthy mind.  Pretty sure he meant Mitt would drop to his knees to beg.

Yeah, I'm sure that's all he meant by having hypothetical Romney adopt a submissive pose.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Norgy

Not filthy, just different.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2016, 02:11:11 PM

Yeah, I'm sure that's all he meant by having hypothetical Romney adopt a submissive pose.

I can see why that's the first thing you would think of.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Yeah guys. Like Donald Trump would ever be vulgar.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2016, 02:13:34 PM

Yeah guys. Like Donald Trump would ever be vulgar.

Shirley not.
He's all class.

(Which one I think may be up for debate)

alfred russel

Quote from: Savonarola on March 04, 2016, 02:02:37 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 04, 2016, 01:22:54 PM
I hesitate to post this, but I'll go ahead because I'll at least give you guys to have fun laughing at me  :), but I think Trump has gone a bit over the line and it is going to hurt him.

I hope you're right, Dorsey.

I heard a clip on ABC News of a post debate rally Trump held.  You can hear the crowd chant "DON-ALD! DON-ALD!" similar to the "JERRY! JERRY!" chants on the Jerry Springer show.  I thought that was appropriate.

The chaos of his events with protesters and general stupidity made me think of Morton Downey Jr. Basically the conservative political Jerry Springer.

I guess in the longer term, beyond Trump, of course assuming a Trump presidency does not result in a nuclear holocaust, is this a one off phenomena? Or are major national candidates somewhat unmoored from traditional politics a trend? It isn't quite the same thing, but Sanders in the US and especially Jeremy Corbyn in the UK are not the standard center left politicians normally leading their parties. But I think part of what makes it not quite the same thing is that on the right populism can tend toward racism and nativism, which isn't so connected with left politics.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

LaCroix

Quote from: derspiess on March 04, 2016, 02:08:49 PMNo, only in your filthy mind.  Pretty sure he meant Mitt would drop to his knees to beg.

this might work if trump were puritanical. even then, imo it would still be weird phrasing to mean mitt is begging. but trump has said he'd fuck his daughter, so I mean come on