Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 01, 2016, 03:58:42 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2016, 03:49:43 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on March 01, 2016, 03:49:08 PM
To clarify, I don't hate Trump, he is just a terrible candidate. Hillary I hate.

Why?

Why what? Why a racists attention whore is a terrible candidate? Or why I hate Hillary?

Why a racist attention whore is a terrible candidate?

lustindarkness

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2016, 03:59:39 PM
To clarify, I don't hate Trump, he is just a terrible candidate. Hillary I hate.

Why?

Why what? Why a racists attention whore is a terrible candidate? Or why I hate Hillary?

Why do you hate Hillary.

Don't like her, always found her untrustworthy, she's an evil bitch, etc... Hate is an emotional response, so I can't fully explain it.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 01, 2016, 04:05:13 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2016, 03:59:39 PM

Why?

Why do you hate Hillary.

Don't like her, always found her untrustworthy, she's an evil bitch, etc... Hate is an emotional response, so I can't fully explain it.

I could totally understand how one might dislike her, but what evil has she done?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Phillip V on March 01, 2016, 12:38:39 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 01, 2016, 12:21:13 PM
Did my duty in northern Virginia this morning.

God save the Republic.
Same in an hour or two.  My polling station is across the street.  :)

Yeah, I'm a little lucky as my polling station is on the same block as my apartment so I just stopped there on the way to work this morning.

Took a Republican ballot and voted for the Rubester, simply for the Anti-Trump vote. I plan on voting for the Hillster in the general.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 01, 2016, 04:05:13 PM

She's got a bit of a Nixon in the Nixon vs. Kennedy debate thing going - in that she comes across badly in public speaking, I'll freely admit that.

But Nixon was up against Kennedy, who projected dignified charisma in public (whatever his private failings   :D). What if Hillary was up against the likes of Trump?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Yeah Nixon is a good comparison to Hillary, or the Clintons in general really.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 01, 2016, 04:32:28 PM

God save the Republic.

Yeah, I'm a little lucky as my polling station is on the same block as my apartment so I just stopped there on the way to work this morning.

Took a Republican ballot and voted for the Rubester, simply for the Anti-Trump vote. I plan on voting for the Hillster in the general.

That's a pretty unethical behavior.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2016, 04:48:45 PM
What if Hillary was up against the likes of Trump?  ;)

Who the fuck knows. He always looks bad in debates to me, but the voters seem to think otherwise.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on March 01, 2016, 04:52:51 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 01, 2016, 04:32:28 PM

God save the Republic.

That's a pretty unethical behavior.

How so?  Sounds like perfectly permissible strategic voting to me.

Now don't get me wrong - I find the US system of voting in primaries to be bizarre.  That people can just show up with no prior connection to a political party and vote in the primary is weird - in the rest of the world you have to be a paid up party member in order to vote.  But if that's the system they have, then there's nothing wrong with Funk's approach.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

A lot of unethical behavior is permissible and legal. Does not make it ethical.

Admiral Yi

Beeb, you never did answer my question as to who, if anyone, Trudeau ran against for party leadership.

There are obvious pros and cons to both systems.  Ours I think arrives at a closer approximation of the general will.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2016, 05:00:48 PM
Now don't get me wrong - I find the US system of voting in primaries to be bizarre.  That people can just show up with no prior connection to a political party and vote in the primary is weird - in the rest of the world you have to be a paid up party member in order to vote.  But if that's the system they have, then there's nothing wrong with Funk's approach.

That's not the case in every state.  You don't have to be a paid member of a party to vote in the primary in any state that I'm aware of, but some (I think most, but I'm not sure), you do have to be a registered member.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2016, 05:06:24 PM
Beeb, you never did answer my question as to who, if anyone, Trudeau ran against for party leadership.

There are obvious pros and cons to both systems.  Ours I think arrives at a closer approximation of the general will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Party_of_Canada_leadership_election,_2013

Trudeau took it overwhelmingly, winning 76% support on the first ballot.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 01, 2016, 04:53:09 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2016, 04:48:45 PM
What if Hillary was up against the likes of Trump?  ;)

Who the fuck knows. He always looks bad in debates to me, but the voters seem to think otherwise.

Heh, the point though is that Nixon (sweaty, shifty-eyed, and unshaven-looking) was up against a guy who positively radiated charisma. Hillary, who comes across as slightly reptilian/Nixonlike herself, will be up against a guy who, however much his supporters like him, looks like a strutting, bullying loudmouthed troll with a bad hairpiece.  ;) He's no Kennedy.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius