News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 29, 2016, 08:20:27 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 29, 2016, 08:16:16 PM
Shelby, in fact, is in opposition to Trump on a few things:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/12/shelby_opposes_donald_trumps_t.html

Too late, he's been there too long, time for him to go.

As long as you aren't attributing Sessions' actions to him, I don't care.  He doesn't seem to be a very good Senator anyway.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Habbaku on February 29, 2016, 08:28:09 PM
This whole primary season is doing a lot to destroy my respect for the basic sanity of New England Republicans Americans.

:(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

You know who's looking very good in comparison right now? Iowa caucus goers.  :P

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 29, 2016, 08:30:03 PM
You know who's looking very good in comparison right now? Iowa caucus goers.  :P

God help us all.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Cruz and Trump as top 2 picks? Yeah, Iowans have so much to be proud of.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Interesting.  :hmm:

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/tom-perez-the-dark-horse-vice-presidential-pick-203317556.html

QuoteVP chatter turns to Tom Perez, a pick that could help Clinton with progressives
Hunter Walker

U.S. Secretary of Labor Tom Perez likes to bring up the exact number of days left to take action in Barack Obama's presidency. Perez even keeps a countdown calendar on his desk identifying Jan. 20, 2017 — the next president's first day in office — as the day his "weekend" begins.

But Perez might have to wait for his weekend, as there's growing buzz he could be an ideal vice presidential pick for Hillary Clinton if she wins the Democratic presidential primary.

Clinton is still in the midst of a tough fight against Sen. Bernie Sanders. While her campaign remains focused on that race, her huge victory in South Carolina's Democratic primary on Saturday vaulted Clinton back into frontrunner status and polls indicate she's set to widen that lead on Super Tuesday this week. So now Democrats are beginning to speculate about who she might tap as a running mate. Perez, according to some in the party, could singularly help Clinton appeal to progressives energized by Sanders' campaign and help unify the party once he bows out.

Most of the early Clinton "veepstakes" chatter has focused on another member of Obama's Cabinet, Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro. Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., has also generated considerable vice presidential speculation, as has Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., both of whom have been campaigning for her. Yahoo News has heard three other names when inquiries were made about who might be in the mix: Sen. Mark Warner, D-Va., Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx, and Perez.

Of these men, it is Perez who seems to have the most potential to appeal to the left flank of the party that has rallied around Sanders and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass.

Already, one influential liberal Democratic senator was heard speaking privately on the Senate floor about what a "great pick" Perez would be for Clinton, according to two Democratic sources familiar with the conversation. A longtime Democratic Hill aide described Perez as a choice that would "satisfy the Warren wing of the party."

Perez has emerged as a high profile and active surrogate for Clinton. Since endorsing her last December, Perez traveled to all four early-voting states to campaign for Clinton. He also hit the spin room for Clinton after the Democratic debate in Wisconsin on Feb. 11.

Both Perez's office and the Clinton campaign declined to comment on this story.

The son of immigrants from the Dominican Republic, Perez grew up in Buffalo, New York. His father passed away when he was 12 years old, and Perez later put himself through Brown University by working in the school's dining hall, at a warehouse, and as a garbage collector. From there he went on to Harvard University, where he obtained graduate degrees in law and public policy.

Perez began his career working as a prosecutor in the Department of Justice's civil rights division. In the 1990s, he served as the principal adviser to the late Sen. Edward Kennedy on civil rights issues. Perez also served in the administration of Pres. Bill Clinton, as director of the Office for Civil Rights at the United States Department of Health and Human Services. After a stint teaching law during the administration of Pres. George W. Bush, Perez got involved in Maryland politics and served on the Montgomery County council. He went on to lead Maryland's Department of Labor licensing and regulation before returning to the DOJ in 2009 as the assistant attorney general heading up the civil rights division. Obama nominated Perez to become labor secretary in 2013, and he was confirmed by the U.S. Senate in a bipartisan 72-22 vote.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: Habbaku on February 29, 2016, 08:28:09 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 29, 2016, 08:21:08 PM
:bleeding:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/2016/02/amid_trump_surge_nearly_20000_mass_voters_quit_democratic_party

This whole primary season is doing a lot to destroy my respect for the basic sanity of New England Republicans.

My opinion of the party of Abraham Lincoln has taken a hit as well.  Not that it matters, of course. 

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 29, 2016, 08:35:37 PM
How brave of him ;)

The guy is basically a midget but managed to marry an NFL cheerleader. He must have some game.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

And to think, I figured watching a major world religion in Islam fight out its schism during the era of the modern city-state in real time was fascinating--but watching a major American political party implode upon itself, so quickly, so completely?  This is once-in-a-century shit here. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on February 29, 2016, 09:22:01 PM
The guy is basically a midget but managed to marry an NFL cheerleader. He must have some game.

He's taller than she is; that's the important thing.

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 29, 2016, 09:26:14 PM
And to think, I figured watching a major world religion in Islam fight out its schism during the era of the modern city-state in real time was fascinating--but watching a major American political party implode upon itself, so quickly, so completely?  This is once-in-a-century shit here.

There are gonna be a shit ton of books written about this election cycle.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 29, 2016, 09:33:36 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 29, 2016, 09:26:14 PM

There are gonna be a shit ton of books written about this election cycle.

Just so long it isn't part of a bunch of documentaries on the Military Channel.

"Next Up:  Tremp's henchmen".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017