News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Rubio or Cruz need to bait Trump into saying that Jesus was a loser.

derspiess

Evangelicals would still perform incredible acrobatics to dismiss Trump's transgressions.  I've heard it directly from them that they know Trump isn't one of them and they don't care.  But it would be interesting to see how much of a leash Trump has.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 25, 2016, 10:33:23 PM
I predict that the media's post-debate analysis will say that Trump lost and Rubio won. Just like all the other debates.
Yet Trump will still win on Super Tuesday.

Trump was Trump...though I think a fair bit more subdued.  He seemed to be definitely trying to hold the suggested "keep a lower key until Super Tuesday".  Rubio did well...though his attacks were mostly without any substance, and by being a smarmy asshole (usually a Trump quality, but he far outperformed Trump on that scale, and made him look reasonable) with the loudest, most obnoxious cheering/hooting/whistling section.

Kasich was good, but he looks old as hell.

For some reason, I barely notice Cruz's presence...but I think he's the worst candidate anyway

It's about time for Wolf Blitzer to retire.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 25, 2016, 10:35:25 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 25, 2016, 08:44:37 PM
QuoteNo one should be surprised that he's tearing through the Republican primaries, because everything he's saying about his GOP opponents is true. They really are all stooges on the take, unable to stand up to Trump because they're not even people, but are, like Jeb and Rubio, just robo-babbling representatives of unseen donors.

Bingo.

Trump and Sanders are about the very thing that the partisans hate and are so desperate to deny - that their candidates are just shills.

So let me get this straight, if you are a leftist and support the furthest left candidate you can, you are not a partisan, but if you chose the more moderate candidate you are a left wing partisan?  You need to work on your theory a little more there, Berkshire Hunt.
Raz, don't gratuitously insult people when you have them dead to rights.  That gives them an easy out.

Kleves

Is Kasich doing anything other than helping Trump at this point?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Kleves on February 26, 2016, 08:46:29 AM
Is Kasich doing anything other than helping Trump at this point?

Building name recognition for 2020 if the Republicans don't win; angling for a VP/cabinet pick if they do.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 26, 2016, 07:57:06 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 25, 2016, 10:35:25 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 25, 2016, 08:44:37 PM
QuoteNo one should be surprised that he's tearing through the Republican primaries, because everything he's saying about his GOP opponents is true. They really are all stooges on the take, unable to stand up to Trump because they're not even people, but are, like Jeb and Rubio, just robo-babbling representatives of unseen donors.

Bingo.

Trump and Sanders are about the very thing that the partisans hate and are so desperate to deny - that their candidates are just shills.

So let me get this straight, if you are a leftist and support the furthest left candidate you can, you are not a partisan, but if you chose the more moderate candidate you are a left wing partisan?  You need to work on your theory a little more there, Berkshire Hunt.
Raz, don't gratuitously insult people when you have them dead to rights.  That gives them an easy out.

What do you think the chances of Berkut admitted he's wrong are?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2016, 12:18:07 PM
Zero.  But you should make him squirm rather than give him an easy and somewhat credible out.  Arguing with a person calling you names is tiresome, whether you're dead right or dead wrong.

Berkut

Why would I admit I was wrong when his argument is an obvious, even to you, a strawman? I *might* be wrong, but you can't prove it that way.

What is funny is the irony of you defending his personal attacks and strawman. You don't even see how perfectly you are fitting right into the role you've carved out for yourself.

Raz is a fellow partisan, so no matter what dis-honest attack he makes, you are right there to back him up, as you reliably do no matter how ridiculous he gets.

But my going back to ignoring Raz, again, isn't about him calling me names, it is just the realization that it is pointless to engage with him - he knows exactly what I meant, he consciously chose to pretend like I meant something else, and it is just tiresome to explain something that everyone already knows, rather than actually discussing things.

Or, to put it more succinctly, I am just going to stop feeding the biggest Languish troll.

It would be nice if others didn't actively encourage him, every now and again I see this glimmer of hope that he might change, but then you come along and cheer him on, so it seems unlikely.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on February 26, 2016, 12:34:22 PM
Why would I admit I was wrong when his argument is an obvious, even to you, a strawman?

What is funny is the irony of you defending his personal attacks and strawman. You don't even see how perfectly you are fitting right into the role you've carved out for yourself.

Raz is a fellow partisan, so no matter what dis-honest attack he makes, you are right there to back him up, as you reliably do no matter how ridiculous he gets.
The only thing obvious is that your campaign against "partisans" and undetected ironies on Languish has jumped the shark.  Get over yourself, you just as dumb as the rest of us here.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 26, 2016, 12:28:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2016, 12:18:07 PM
Zero.  But you should make him squirm rather than give him an easy and somewhat credible out.  Arguing with a person calling you names is tiresome, whether you're dead right or dead wrong.

I had him dead to rights earlier this week, I asked him how the FBI should further their investigation concerning concerning that Apple phone.  I asked twice.  He simply ignored me.  I'm guessing there are three possible result to talking to Berkut.  I'm wrong and he'll tell me, I'm have a point he'll ignore me, or I have a point and he will tell me he's ignoring me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on February 26, 2016, 12:34:22 PM
Or, to put it more succinctly, I am just going to stop feeding the biggest Languish troll.

It would be nice if others didn't actively encourage him, every now and again I see this glimmer of hope that he might change, but then you come along and cheer him on, so it seems unlikely.
I'm agreeing with Raz because he's right in this case, not because he's a troll and I want to encourage him.  He is very effective at pricking your bubble, catching you when you attempt to elevate yourself by tilting at windmills, and that's your real problem with him.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.