News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on February 26, 2016, 05:47:32 PM
If we just stick with the "establishment lane" republicans, how is it that a field starting with the (in republican terms) successful governor of Wisconsin, the successful governor of Ohio, the successful former governor of Florida, the governor of Louisiana, a conservative governor of New Jersey, and a rather famous former governor of Arkansas down to a freshman senator from Florida that seems undistinguished in every way and appears unable to be competitive in his own state in the primary?
Apart from the Trump effect of redefining what is considered an asset and what is considered a liability, all those candidates were fatally flawed in some way.  Walker was not ready for prime time, Kasich somehow became a RINO, Jeb Bush looked like he didn't want to be there even before Trump gave him ten wedgies in public, Jindal crashed and burned long before the campaign, Christie would always be a RINO no matter how many despicable things he said, and Huckabee lost his ability to say despicable things in a charming way.

Martinus

If we just stick with the "establishment lane" republicans, how is it that a field starting with the (in republican terms) successful governor of Wisconsin, the successful governor of Ohio, the successful former governor of Florida, the governor of Louisiana, a conservative governor of New Jersey, and a rather famous former governor of Arkansas down to a freshman senator from Florida that seems undistinguished in every way and appears unable to be competitive in his own state in the primary?

Rubio seemed like the one easiest to control for the donors?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Phillip V on February 26, 2016, 06:08:30 PM
Governor Paul LePage of Maine endorses Donald Trump

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/02/paul-lepage-donald-trump-endorsement-219880

LePage is a nut. I'm surprised it took him this long to endorse Trump. He probably couldn't figure out how endorsements worked before now.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2016, 04:42:02 PM
It would be weird if he became Trump's VP. A New York-New Jersey alliance?
The New York-New Jersey Hitmen have RETURNED. :yeah:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on February 26, 2016, 07:00:00 PM
Apart from the Trump effect of redefining what is considered an asset and what is considered a liability, all those candidates were fatally flawed in some way.  Walker was not ready for prime time, Kasich somehow became a RINO, Jeb Bush looked like he didn't want to be there even before Trump gave him ten wedgies in public, Jindal crashed and burned long before the campaign, Christie would always be a RINO no matter how many despicable things he said, and Huckabee lost his ability to say despicable things in a charming way.

They were fatally flawed...proven in that they lost. But some of them didnt seem so bad-at least im not sure why rubio is the last man standing.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

A year ago Jeb was the frontrunner and everyone knew he was going to be the nominee. In comes Trump who spouts crazy populist crap to build a rabid base of Trump voters and then he completely spanks lil baby Jeb repeatedly in front of the entire country without any response, simultaneously destroying his biggest and most formidable threat (on paper, anyway) and propelling him to frontrunner status. It was over before it really began. Rubio is just the last one left standing because Jesus Christ, is he really any threat to Trump at all? An empty suit who is in way over his head? He's just the last one to get sent to the guillotine.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Nobody even remembers Rick Perry was running :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2016, 03:20:12 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on February 26, 2016, 12:54:14 PM
Governor Chris Christie Endorses Donald Trump

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/02/26/chris-christie-endorses-donald-trump/

Unfuckingbelievable.  :(

It actually seems a natural pairing to me. Trump and Christie have more in common with each other than either of them has with any of the others.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 27, 2016, 12:54:48 AM
It actually seems a natural pairing to me. Trump and Christie have more in common with each other than either of them has with any of the others.

I'm crestfallen because all the negative comments about Christie that I fought against for so long turned out to be true.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2016, 02:32:01 AM

I'm crestfallen because all the negative comments about Christie that I fought against for so long turned out to be true.

:console: Sorry, man.  It's a bad year to be a Republican.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on February 27, 2016, 03:18:03 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2016, 02:32:01 AM

:console: Sorry, man.  It's a bad year to be a Republican.

That's rather conservative, no pun intended.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

The Dems were in serious shit back in the 1970s' and 1980's.  They probably will be again sometime in the future.  Right now the wheel of fortune has spun down the GOP.  I can understand that, and commiserate.  Hopefully the GOP will recover soon.  It doesn't do the country any good to have one of it's parties go completely nuts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

celedhring

They still control Congress, and last time I looked that's not projected to change. For all the "crisis" the GOP is in, it doesn't seem to be affecting their power base.

Razgovory

That's the thing, they don't actually control congress.  Nobody does.  While people identifying as Republicans hold the majority, the Republican leadership is unable to translate this into actual government.  The GOP has ceased to be a coherent party.