News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on February 24, 2016, 10:05:08 PM
How about this: it is highly unlikely, nah, almost impossible, that your one vote will make a difference.  So there is no point wasting time, effort, petroleum, etc to vote :contract:

Not the point. Though we vote on lots of stuff Mono, most of it local enough that your one vote will have a difference on very important things.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on February 24, 2016, 10:25:24 PM
In this immediate election, Trump and Fox News have been somewhat at war.

I listened to about 10 minutes of Glenn Beck late this morning, and boy is he all worked up over Trump.  Comparing this year to 1933, comparing Trump's positions to Mein Kampf, and saying we're all condemned if we don't speak out against this evil.  Almost sounded like he was crying at one point.  But it wouldn't be the first time he compared someone to the Nazis and cried on the air :lol:

When I hear some people talk about Trump I think maybe I'd enjoy the first five days of a Trump presidency.  But then of course I'd be in for one hell of a hangover.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Looking at this, I think the best result the establishment could hope for is for Cruz to win in Texas and Arkansas and Rubio wins in Minnesota and Vermont, while Trump wins Alabama, Alaska, Georgia, Massachusetts, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Virginia. If that's the best they can hope for, that just shows you how fucked the establishment is.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2016/02/24/after-nev-attention-begins-pivot-super-tuesday/JNfZy43bjxC9qvcBCU7lfO/story.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on February 24, 2016, 11:39:14 PM
I listened to about 10 minutes of Glenn Beck late this morning, and boy is he all worked up over Trump.  Comparing this year to 1933, comparing Trump's positions to Mein Kampf, and saying we're all condemned if we don't speak out against this evil.  Almost sounded like he was crying at one point.  But it wouldn't be the first time he compared someone to the Nazis and cried on the air :lol:

When I hear some people talk about Trump I think maybe I'd enjoy the first five days of a Trump presidency.  But then of course I'd be in for one hell of a hangover.

What are the things you figure would make up that hangover?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on February 24, 2016, 11:57:27 PM

What are the things you figure would make up that hangover?

Everything.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

As the Tea Party is so fond of saying, "If we can't win at the ballot box, we'll win with the bullet box."

That is derspiess in a nutshell.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

derspiess

I say that all the time.  Because winning at the bullet box is totally a thing.

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on February 24, 2016, 05:18:44 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2016, 04:54:13 PM
It gave credibility to that ideology and made it mainstream. Media don't inoculate ideologies into people - that's 1930s thinking - but they are very powerful in creating the array of what constitute acceptable ideas within a society.

"It's okay to be a bigot, people in the telly are bigots all the time".

It's even worse than that - they are not saying it is ok to be a bigot, they are saying "You have every reason to hate those people, because they really are out to get you and destroy your way of life! Wanting to defeat those rapists and criminals is not bigoted at all!"

To play a bit of Devil's advocate here, imho, the "regressive liberal" side is also a part to blame. For years, if not decades, the glitterati have been telling the minorities (gays, blacks, Latinos, women) that if they don't succeed in life, that's not their fault but because the white racist homophobic rednecks are keeping them down. This may have been true to some degree, especially 10 or 20 years ago, but have been much less so lately. Meanwhile, the "white racist homophobic rednecks" have been hit in their face with the largest economic downturn of their live times, but the narrative did not change. In comes Donald Trump preaching the message to the "white racist homophobic rednecks" that it's in fact not their fault, it's the blacks, Latinos, feminists, muslims etc. that are keeping them down. Trump is the white straight non-liberal's guy's (the "Archie Bunker's") Al Sharpton, Macklemore, Rosie O'Donnell and Beyonce all rolled into one. Like them he is a celebrity more than a politician and he is telling his followers what they want to hear and like a father figure, telling them it is all going to be alright. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. 

Razgovory

Don't use words that automatically invalidate everything else you say.  For instance. "glitterati".  It's extremely hard to take someone seriously when they say things like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Archy

Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2016, 02:41:36 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 24, 2016, 10:37:22 AM
Ever since Reagan the Republicans have been running campaigns on the premise that "conservatism" is a positive ideological attribute that attracts voters, whereas "liberalism" is a bad word.  When the Tea Party rose to prominence, a variety of commentators observed that the sentiments expressed, while admittedly pretty incoherent, were not exactly consistent with ideological conservatism.  This campaign has confirmed it: a very substantial part of the GOP base - perhaps a majority - is not "conservative" in the ideological sense.

I think people may be missing perhaps the most obvious reason for Trump's rise, and why it doesn't seem to follow any of the normal rules:

Americans are a sucker for celebrities.

Think about some of the celebrities who have run for office in the last several years.  Guys like Schwarzennegger, Fred Thompson, Al Franken, Sonny Bono, or Jesse Ventura - all won their elections despite fairly thin-to-nonexistent political resumes.  There's also the original celebrity-turned-politician - Ronald Reagan.

In fact as I keep thinking about it the only unsuccessful celebrity-turned-politician I can think of is Fred Thompson's Presidential run - but at the time it was criticized for being extremely laid back and lacking passion - things the Trump campaign is hardly lacking in.  But almost every other time the celebrity has been successful.

Maybe this is just how it is: celebrity trumps all.  Perhaps the 2024 Presidential campaign is going to be between Kanye West and Taylor Swift.

Yes We Kanye!!!!

Image from Belgian comedi imitation show.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on February 25, 2016, 06:12:33 AM
Don't use words that automatically invalidate everything else you say.  For instance. "glitterati".  It's extremely hard to take someone seriously when they say things like that.

Besides, the political establishment is as much at fault as Hollywood.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

I listened to about 10 minutes of Glenn Beck late this morning, and boy is he all worked up over Trump.  Comparing this year to 1933, comparing Trump's positions to Mein Kampf, and saying we're all condemned if we don't speak out against this evil.  Almost sounded like he was crying at one point.

He should stick to scamming old people.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on February 25, 2016, 01:35:20 AMIn comes Donald Trump preaching the message to the "white racist homophobic rednecks" that it's in fact not their fault, it's the blacks, Latinos, feminists, muslims etc. that are keeping them down.

Is he? I admit I haven't been paying particularly close attention to Trump's speeches, but that doesn't seem like something even he could get away with, even if he believed it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Legbiter

New Florida poll out.

QuoteThe Donald Trump juggernaut rolls into Florida where the GOP front-runner leads native son Sen. Marco Rubio 44 - 28 percent among likely Republican primary voters, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas has 12 percent with Ohio Gov. John Kasich at 7 percent and Dr. Ben Carson at 4 percent.

Men back Trump over Rubio 49 - 25 percent, while women go to Trump 39 - 31 percent, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University Poll finds.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/florida/release-detail?ReleaseID=2327

And Florida is a winner-take-all state, made so in 2014 apparently.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.