News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

It appears as if the GOP strategy of not governing for 8 years is having unexpected consequences.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

The Battle for 2nd Place in Nevada

Cruz has now pulled ahead of Rubio by less than a 100 votes:  http://www.nytimes.com/elections/2016/primaries/results/nevada

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

jimmy olsen

Cruz is gonna win Texas* on Super Tuesday, so even if Rubio wins a few states, Cruz is going to earn more delegates than him, though the Donald will win more than both combined. So how is the GOP establishment, who he loathes, going to convince him to withdraw?

*If Cruz doesn't win Texas, Trump will and the race will be over right then and there.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Also with 88% of the vote in, Trump has 45.6% while Rubio and Cruz combined have only 45.4%
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

I'll hold my hands up regarding Trump. I genuinely thought he would fade as primary voters went with more electable choices when facing the real thing and not the questions of a pollster. I guess it's a bad idea to bet on the sanity of the Republican base these days.

Phillip V

Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2016, 04:38:11 AM
I'll hold my hands up regarding Trump. I genuinely thought he would fade as primary voters went with more electable choices when facing the real thing and not the questions of a pollster. I guess it's a bad idea to bet on the sanity of the Republican base these days.
Rubio will continue to campaign hard building up his national profile and network, but probably refuse to go nuclear against Trump.  He is figuring out the best way to become Florida Governor in 2018 and then run for President again in 2020 or 2024.  Time is on his side.

lustindarkness

It is sad to see just how stupid the masses are.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Minsky Moment

Ever since Reagan the Republicans have been running campaigns on the premise that "conservatism" is a positive ideological attribute that attracts voters, whereas "liberalism" is a bad word.  When the Tea Party rose to prominence, a variety of commentators observed that the sentiments expressed, while admittedly pretty incoherent, were not exactly consistent with ideological conservatism.  This campaign has confirmed it: a very substantial part of the GOP base - perhaps a majority - is not "conservative" in the ideological sense. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 24, 2016, 10:37:22 AM
Ever since Reagan the Republicans have been running campaigns on the premise that "conservatism" is a positive ideological attribute that attracts voters, whereas "liberalism" is a bad word.  When the Tea Party rose to prominence, a variety of commentators observed that the sentiments expressed, while admittedly pretty incoherent, were not exactly consistent with ideological conservatism.  This campaign has confirmed it: a very substantial part of the GOP base - perhaps a majority - is not "conservative" in the ideological sense.
That's not surprising at all.  A lot of GOP voters were kept in line with wedge issues, not ideological agreement.  Yes, once someone was hooked on intolerance, they'll reason out why tax breaks for the rich is good for them, but that kind of reasoning is brittle.  Trump smashed that.

celedhring

I'm actually pretty fine with a Trump primary win. The benefits are two-fold:

a) It would allow us ROTWers to point and laugh at America.
b) It should deliver the presidency to Hillary, since independents/moderates would flock to her.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on February 12, 2016, 01:16:11 PM
I'm going to call it now - Trump is going to be the nominee.

:contract:

Trump wins 45% of the vote in the Nevada caucuses.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2016, 11:02:45 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 12, 2016, 01:16:11 PM
I'm going to call it now - Trump is going to be the nominee.

:contract:

Trump wins 45% of the vote in the Nevada caucuses.

Welcome to yesterday.  :huh:

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2016, 11:02:20 AM
I'm actually pretty fine with a Trump primary win. The benefits are two-fold:

a) It would allow us ROTWers to point and laugh at America.
b) It should deliver the presidency to Hillary, since independents/moderates would flock to her.

I gotta say I have a bit of a soft spot for Trump, more as a character than an actual politician.