News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2016, 12:26:17 PM
https://berniesanders.com/issues/war-and-peace/

He voted against Gulf War I.

Yeah, that's really lacking in specifics (though did he tell you he opposed invading Iraq?)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on February 11, 2016, 01:35:27 PM
Yeah, that's really lacking in specifics

It can only mean he voted against authorizing force, i.e. the pseudo War Powers vote.

The impression I'm getting from that and Speesh's comment about the Sandinistas is that Bernie in the not too distant past was a dyed in the wool peacenik, and has since then evolved his thinking about foreign relations, either for sincere or insincere reasons.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2016, 01:44:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 11, 2016, 01:35:27 PM
Yeah, that's really lacking in specifics

It can only mean he voted against authorizing force, i.e. the pseudo War Powers vote.

The impression I'm getting from that and Speesh's comment about the Sandinistas is that Bernie in the not too distant past was a dyed in the wool peacenik, and has since then evolved his thinking about foreign relations, either for sincere or insincere reasons.

It was my comment. Also, has he really changed?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2016, 04:50:37 PM
It was my comment. Also, has he really changed?

He voted in favor of Afghanistan.

On the other hand, I googled the vote on GWI, and it was actually not as lop-sided as i had thought.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2016, 04:56:33 PM

He voted in favor of Afghanistan.

Did anyone vote against that? I mean, the country was harboring the guy that launched 9/11.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grinning_Colossus

I'd love to see a a crazy four-way race between Cruz, Sanders, Trump, and Bloomberg. If Trump ran as a hardhat, we'd have all four quadrants of the political compass represented. :)
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2016, 05:03:31 PM
Did anyone vote against that? I mean, the country was harboring the guy that launched 9/11.

You're right.

My tentative evolved peacenik thesis: PRAWND and TRIED.

Jacob

Iran claims that Republican lawmakers attempted to put a hold on the release of hostages until after the US 2016 election: http://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/2016/02/11/998130/us-republicans-had-urged-iran-to-delay-prisoner-swap-shamkhani-says

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on February 11, 2016, 06:38:29 PM
Iran claims that Republican lawmakers attempted to put a hold on the release of hostages until after the US 2016 election: http://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/2016/02/11/998130/us-republicans-had-urged-iran-to-delay-prisoner-swap-shamkhani-says

Doubtful. Obama would have crushed them in front of the media with that, and I can't imagine they could have kept it secret from his administration.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

I find it hard to believe that Republicans would do that.  Not because I think they're too patriotic for that, but because it is very obvious that it can backfire very, very badly.