News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I think that in due time, his debate gamble would be viewed as one all-in move too many.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2016, 01:32:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2016, 01:31:22 PM
It does get everyone talking about Trump again, and not anyone else.  Which seems to work for him I guess.

Clearly didn't work for him in Iowa.

We'll see.  Iowa was neck and neck between him and Cruz, and Iowa caucuses are a very Cruz-friendly jurisdiction.  Previous winners include Rick Santorum and Mike Huckabee.  And Trump had little ground game to get out voters.

Trump is up 20 points in New Hampshire though this time with no really obvious 2nd place challenger (Cruz, Rubio, Kasich and Jeb! all hovering around 10%).

Trump seems guaranteed to win New Hampshire.  He just needs to try and ensure there's no strong showing by someone else for all the anti-Trump voters to coalesce around.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on February 03, 2016, 09:06:33 AM
Rand Paul is now gone.  Hopefully, that convinces Fiorina and Christie to go next.

Not surprising :(

Guess I'm Cruzing now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2016, 01:40:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2016, 01:32:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2016, 01:31:22 PM
It does get everyone talking about Trump again, and not anyone else.  Which seems to work for him I guess.

Clearly didn't work for him in Iowa.

We'll see.  Iowa was neck and neck between him and Cruz, and Iowa caucuses are a very Cruz-friendly jurisdiction.  Previous winners include Rick Santorum and Mike Huckabee.  And Trump had little ground game to get out voters.

Trump is up 20 points in New Hampshire though this time with no really obvious 2nd place challenger (Cruz, Rubio, Kasich and Jeb! all hovering around 10%).

Trump seems guaranteed to win New Hampshire.  He just needs to try and ensure there's no strong showing by someone else for all the anti-Trump voters to coalesce around.

I guess I'm just saying with the only actual data point that we have for Trump performance, being the most talked about does not mean you get the most votes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Trump talking about Ted Cruz.

QuoteTurning to Cruz, he accused the Texan of being behind efforts that have damaged Ben Carson's campaign. He added that a mailer in Iowa sent by Cruz's campaign that revealed neighbors' voting participation was malicious: "He insulted Ben Carson by doing what he did to Ben Carson. That was a disgrace.... He's a man of insult."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/02/02/in-a-return-to-new-hampshire-donald-trump-returns-to-form/

:lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

How long before a Cruz run USA nukes someone? Is Vegas taking bets?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

alfred russel

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 03, 2016, 01:54:31 PM

If Cruz is elected, I'm going to postpone my vacation plans to Mecca.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

Is that one of hiS campaign promIseS?  :w00t:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 02, 2016, 05:47:32 PM
I wonder why you never hear right-wingers threatening to go to Singapore or some place if a Democrat gets elected.

I have land in Argentina upon which I may someday build my hacienda...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on February 03, 2016, 01:58:29 PM

If Cruz is elected, I'm going to postpone my vacation plans to Mecca.

Were you gonna pretend to be Mooslim?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on February 03, 2016, 09:05:44 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 03, 2016, 01:57:36 AM
I have now read more on Ted Cruz, including his own website. 

I am disturbed by what I read.  I thought separation of Church and State is one of the cornerstones of democracy.  His 10% flat rate tax is pie in the sky unworkable.  His idea of eliminating the IRS seems either a simple name change (that must be what he means) or insane.  His insistance that marriage is between a man and a woman is seriously behind the times.  I don't understand his opposition to Obamacare and Net Neutrality (!).  His support for gun ownership flies in the face of reality.  His statement that what is good for the US is what is good for the world sounds unstatesman-like. 

You guys seriously elected him to the position of US senator on these platforms?  :blink:
The answer is that a significant part of the US electorate at this moment is simply crazed.  And too many independents enable this crazed electorate by not decisively rejecting the candidates supported by the crazed electorate.  It also doesn't help that the political system is designed to only keep two parties viable, so coupled with the unmoored moderates they don't pay the price for poor governance.

I don't think "moderates" get Ted Cruz elected.

I think he gets elected because there are few, if any, moderates in the places that vote for him.

He gets elected only in those places where the dumbfuckistan vote swamps the moderates and Dems.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 03, 2016, 02:19:14 PM
Were you gonna pretend to be Mooslim?

I will probably visit Mecca after I have visited almost every other inhabited place on earth, assuming I still have the urge to travel. I think I've got some time to work out a strategy to get in.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014