News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on February 03, 2016, 01:57:36 AM
I have now read more on Ted Cruz, including his own website. 

I am disturbed by what I read.  I thought separation of Church and State is one of the cornerstones of democracy.  His 10% flat rate tax is pie in the sky unworkable.  His idea of eliminating the IRS seems either a simple name change (that must be what he means) or insane.  His insistance that marriage is between a man and a woman is seriously behind the times.  I don't understand his opposition to Obamacare and Net Neutrality (!).  His support for gun ownership flies in the face of reality.  His statement that what is good for the US is what is good for the world sounds unstatesman-like. 

You guys seriously elected him to the position of US senator on these platforms?  :blink:
The answer is that a significant part of the US electorate at this moment is simply crazed.  And too many independents enable this crazed electorate by not decisively rejecting the candidates supported by the crazed electorate.  It also doesn't help that the political system is designed to only keep two parties viable, so coupled with the unmoored moderates they don't pay the price for poor governance.

Phillip V

Rand Paul is now gone.  Hopefully, that convinces Fiorina and Christie to go next.

Legbiter

Quote from: DGuller on February 03, 2016, 09:05:44 AM

The answer is that a significant part of the US electorate at this moment is simply crazed.

I do love your posts for the pure Democrat rootstock opinion.  :lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Phillip V on February 03, 2016, 09:06:33 AM
Rand Paul is now gone.  Hopefully, that convinces Fiorina and Christie to go next.

But the circus of having so many candidates is so much fun. :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

Quote from: Legbiter on February 03, 2016, 09:58:29 AM
Quote from: DGuller on February 03, 2016, 09:05:44 AM

The answer is that a significant part of the US electorate at this moment is simply crazed.

I do love your posts for the pure Democrat rootstock opinion.  :lol:
:rolleyes: If you think my opinion is a "pure Democrat rootstock" opinion, then you completely fail to understand where I'm coming from.  But that's hardly unique. 

I in fact do not have a strong party affiliation, am still registered as  Republican (out of inertia), in the middle by New Jersey standards, and solidly on the right by Hudson county standards.  But on a federal level, with Kasich being as "moderate" as it gets on the Republican side, I am quite frankly unwilling to go through the mental contortions of pretending like there is any choice to be made.  That's a very bad situation for a political system, but it's not my fault.

alfred russel

Quote from: Phillip V on February 03, 2016, 09:06:33 AM

After New Hampshire, it may be down to Cruz, Trump, and Rubio. Christie polls well in New Hampshire--he will at least give it a shot there.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Legbiter

Jeb! might also still have some piles of donor cash left to set fire to.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Minsky Moment

....You guys seriously elected him to the position of US senator on these platforms?  :blink:

Opinions on the advisability of admitting Texas as a US state have varied over time.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 03, 2016, 12:15:37 PM
....You guys seriously elected him to the position of US senator on these platforms?  :blink:

Opinions on the advisability of admitting Texas as a US state have varied over time.

You're taking one for the team here, imho.

Gups

Trump demanding that Iowa caucus re-run coz Cruz a dirt cheating wetback.

The Minsky Moment

Trump a sore loser?  Couldn't have predicted that one.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I hear if he becomes president he will build a wall around Iowa.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: Gups on February 03, 2016, 12:36:12 PM
Trump demanding that Iowa caucus re-run coz Cruz a dirt cheating wetback Canadian.

Fixed your post, not because I'm trying to be an obnoxious prick, but I saw a clip of Trump saying that the tricks could be expected because Cruz was born in Canada.  :lol:

I imagine that 15 hours of radio silence from Team Trump was a period of deep reflection, after which Trump concluded, "I was awesome. I was cheated. The only thing I need to fix is to stop being so mellow and keep the crazy dialed up at all times."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

It does get everyone talking about Trump again, and not anyone else.  Which seems to work for him I guess.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2016, 01:31:22 PM
It does get everyone talking about Trump again, and not anyone else.  Which seems to work for him I guess.

Clearly didn't work for him in Iowa.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.