News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Lots of HKers "commuted" between Toronto/Vancouver and Hong Kong back in the 90s.  There is a residency requirment of like 6 months per year to obtain Canadian citizenship, but they could only find work in HK.  They invented a lot of ways to slip in and out of Canada without Canadian officials noticing  :ph34r:

Eddie Teach

Canada must have the worst job market in the world.  :hmm:

Either that, or this:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

It is easier if you are a plumber or programmer.  Or if you don't mind waiting tables.  Otherwise, I don't know anybody who landed an office job.

Valmy

Well if Sanders or Cruz/Trump win there are at least affordable houses in Trois-Rivières waiting for me.

Of course the goofball Trudeau is their leader...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Monoriu on February 02, 2016, 05:47:01 PM
Huh.  Who knows, maybe Canadians also move to the US and they also say they are so glad to be out of that country  :lol:

Some do, yes.

Monoriu

I have now read more on Ted Cruz, including his own website. 

I am disturbed by what I read.  I thought separation of Church and State is one of the cornerstones of democracy.  His 10% flat rate tax is pie in the sky unworkable.  His idea of eliminating the IRS seems either a simple name change (that must be what he means) or insane.  His insistance that marriage is between a man and a woman is seriously behind the times.  I don't understand his opposition to Obamacare and Net Neutrality (!).  His support for gun ownership flies in the face of reality.  His statement that what is good for the US is what is good for the world sounds unstatesman-like. 

You guys seriously elected him to the position of US senator on these platforms?  :blink:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on February 02, 2016, 07:49:48 PM
Lots of HKers "commuted" between Toronto/Vancouver and Hong Kong back in the 90s.  There is a residency requirment of like 6 months per year to obtain Canadian citizenship, but they could only find work in HK.  They invented a lot of ways to slip in and out of Canada without Canadian officials noticing  :ph34r:

Amazing. You posting something that is tangential at best to what was being discussed. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2016, 02:55:51 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 02, 2016, 07:49:48 PM

Amazing. You posting something that is tangential at best to what was being discussed. :o

You said if you flee, you aren't trying to come back.  So I said, according to my experience, that isn't true, illustrated with an example. 

garbon

No that is not an example of fleeing a country let alone relevant to a discussion of people fleeing out of disgust.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2016, 03:23:37 AM
No that is not an example of fleeing a country let alone relevant to a discussion of people fleeing out of disgust.

Then why do you think HKers went to Canada, if not to flee the communist takeover in 1997? 

garbon

Ah I see. You are right that I overreached but again conversation really has nothing to do with HK tangent. These are people who are fleeing because they are upset about a political change and aren't planning on commuting to their former country. Who cares if people from HK found that virtually impossible to do?

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2016, 03:34:49 AM
Ah I see. You are right that I overreached but again conversation really has nothing to do with HK tangent. These are people who are fleeing because they are upset about a political change and aren't planning on commuting to their former country. Who cares if people from HK found that virtually impossible to do?

HKers left because we feared political change.  The long-distance commute wasn't exactly planned either.  Most of us wanted to settle down in Canada and start a new life.  I myself also wanted to give it a chance from the start.  But reality soon sank in and we either had to move back for economic reasons, or settle for unemployment in Canada. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on February 03, 2016, 03:27:19 AM
Then why do you think HKers went to Canada, if not to flee the communist takeover in 1997?

To set up an escape hatch if needed.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2016, 03:48:55 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 03, 2016, 03:27:19 AM

To set up an escape hatch if needed.

In case you are trapped in an egg.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017