News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2016, 05:32:35 PM
Was double-checking the location of my caucus site and procedures for changing party affiliation night-of, and learned that Republicans now vote secretly.  That's changed since I last went in 08.  Democrats still vote openly, by standing in herds.
Sounds like good news for my bet.  :mmm:

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

She definitely has her dad's sense of subtlety when it comes to plastic surgery.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2016, 05:32:35 PM
Was double-checking the location of my caucus site and procedures for changing party affiliation night-of, and learned that Republicans now vote secretly.  That's changed since I last went in 08.  Democrats still vote openly, by standing in herds.

Let our democracy be an example to the world, except for the part about how we apparently don't use secret ballots for one of our major parties.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

I don't think the primary process should be held according to the same rules as the general election. I'm not sure what's the point of holding a caucus instead of a primary if people are voting in secret.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 31, 2016, 06:54:45 PM
I don't think the primary process should be held according to the same rules as the general election. I'm not sure what's the point of holding a caucus instead of a primary if people are voting in secret.  :hmm:

Unless something else has changed, you still vote in rounds until one candidate has a majority of the votes in each district.

It's interactive!

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 31, 2016, 06:54:45 PM

I'm not sure the purpose of a caucus in any event, but I think secret ballots are fundamental to a fair election.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Think about it this way....

We work in a union shop, and the union heavily supports Hillary. I want to support Sanders. Do I do that with the union watching?

You work for me, and I am a co chair of Hillary's campaign in Iowa County. I frequently talk about how important it is that Hillary win for the country and for the future of our company. Would you be deterred from caucusing for Sanders?

Eddie Teach

Some primaries only let party members vote and some let everyone. And that's OK, because the democratic election is the one in November. How the parties want to select candidates is their business, we are free to vote for them or for unaffiliated candidates.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 31, 2016, 07:47:26 PM
Some primaries only let party members vote and some let everyone. And that's OK, because the democratic election is the one in November. How the parties want to select candidates is their business, we are free to vote for them or for unaffiliated candidates.

While I agree that the parties control the process of choosing their nominees, I also think they should adhere to basic principles of democracy, and the public should insist on it so long as the process is publicly subsidized.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on January 31, 2016, 06:34:51 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2016, 05:35:47 PM
And here's Ivanka telling you everything you need to know.  Cal should watch.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/01/ivanka_trump_teaches_iowa_how.html

Wow. Was she talking? I can't remember.

This prompted me to check out her wikipedia page:

QuoteIn 2007, Trump donated $1,000 to the presidential campaign of Hillary Clinton.[21] In 2012, Trump endorsed Mitt Romney for president.[22] In 2013, Trump and her husband hosted a fundraiser for Cory Booker. The couple bundled more than $40,000 for Booker's U.S. Senate campaign.[23]

QuoteIn July 2009, after studying with Rabbi Elie Weinstock from the Modern Orthodox Ramaz School, Trump had an Orthodox conversion to Judaism[32][33] and took the name Yael.[34][35] She attests to keeping a kosher diet and observing the Jewish Sabbath, saying in 2015: "We're pretty observant... It's been such a great life decision for me... I really find that with Judaism, it creates an amazing blueprint for family connectivity. From Friday to Saturday we don't do anything but hang out with one another. We don't make phone calls."[36]

Trump meditates twice daily, and has gifted a meditation course led by her friend Bob Roth to the members of "Team Ivanka".[37]

QuoteShe is a close friend of Chelsea Clinton, who says of her: "There's nothing skin-deep about Ivanka. And I think that's a real tribute to her because certainly anyone as gorgeous as she is could have probably gone quite far being skin-deep."[36]

And then on her husband's wikipedia page:

QuoteKushner is a contributor to the Democratic Party. He has contributed over $100,000 to various campaigns between 1992 and 2006.[24]

That the Trump campaign is getting so much conservative and evangelical support is simultaneously hilarious and sad.

Phillip V

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 01, 2016, 07:10:04 AM
Keep an eye on the turnout. The higher it is the better Trump's chances.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/ted-cruz-magic-number-218501

Why, I mean, the caucus results and turnout results will be known roughly simultaneously--why not just pay attention to the results at that point?  :hmm:

Phillip V