And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Maladict

Quote from: Phillip V on February 01, 2016, 09:25:10 AM
With final polls released this morning, there suddenly could even be a Rubio upset in Iowa:  http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/ia/iowa_republican_presidential_caucus-3194.html

If Trump doesn't win, can we stop having polls, forever?

Martinus

With final polls released this morning, there suddenly could even be a Rubio upset in Iowa:  http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/ia/iowa_republican_presidential_caucus-3194.html

Wow, some of these results are wildly different. I thought only our polling companies sucked.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2016, 10:05:41 AM

Wow, some of these results are wildly different. I thought only our polling companies sucked.

This event is almost impossible to poll.

Almost no one goes to the caucuses--it is an "election" that you have to show up to on a certain time and certain day, and listen to annoying speeches, and at least for one party vote openly in front of your neighbors. Maybe 10% of the population will participate. Of that 10%, some will go to the republican and some the democratic caucus. So how do you poll that?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on February 01, 2016, 10:25:52 AM

This event is almost impossible to poll.

Almost no one goes to the caucuses--it is an "election" that you have to show up to on a certain time and certain day, and listen to annoying speeches, and at least for one party vote openly in front of your neighbors. Maybe 10% of the population will participate. Of that 10%, some will go to the republican and some the democratic caucus. So how do you poll that?

So why the fuck even show the polls? Or comment on them?

Valmy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

:P

Man I cannot believe the first of dozens of election days for the President is finally here!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2016, 10:28:44 AM

To give us something to talk about from June, or whenever this bullshit started, until now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 07:51:39 AM
Potential GOP field looks like it might be the best since 1988.  Rubio, Jeb Bush, Christie, Jindal, Scott Walker, and Rand Paul.

LOLZ

Sorry it didn't work out for you Spicey.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2016, 10:28:44 AM

There has been a lot of commentary on how widely inaccurate the January (and pre January) polls, but Tim keeps breathlessly posting every poll that comes out showing Trump on top. What can you do?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

frunk

Quote from: alfred russel on February 01, 2016, 10:37:38 AM
There has been a lot of commentary on how widely inaccurate the January (and pre January) polls, but Tim keeps breathlessly posting every poll that comes out showing Trump on top. What can you do?

I wish it was only Tim that was hyping this up so much.

Zanza

Gups

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2016, 09:33:44 AM
I'm not liking the look of this.  :(

Me neither. Looks like there's a good chance of a Republican candidate winning the GOP Iowa Caucus.  :(
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2016, 09:33:44 AM
I'm not liking the look of this.  :(

Hope you've been saving, be a shame for Yi to have to break your kneecaps.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Obviously the Republican result is much more fun to watch from a trainwreck perspective, but the Democratic result could be decisive. Sanders will probably win New Hampshire, and a win in Iowa will give him a lot of momentum and he will start looking like a winner--that could turn the polls around in later states. It is hard to see how splitting the first two states, with one state being right next to his own, will have the same effect. Also, if O'Malley can pull of the big upset and win tonight, it will show that maybe pigs really can fly and all that effort I've spent trying to shoot moonbeams out of my ass isn't in vain.