News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Yi, when did you write the LSAT?  It was a 120-180 scale when I wrote it 20 years ago. 

Holy shit - that was a long time ago. :o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on January 29, 2016, 05:34:13 PM
Yi, when did you write the LSAT?  It was a 120-180 scale when I wrote it 20 years ago. 

Some time around 89.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on January 29, 2016, 05:34:13 PM

Tell me about it.  :(

Whenever the topic of the LSAT comes up, I am reminded that I have totally forgotten what I scored on it; once upon a time that was all-important.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Isn't LSAT that new light machine gun that was been developed?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

Quote from: LaCroix on January 29, 2016, 04:25:35 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 29, 2016, 04:21:46 PMCanada doesn't really have rock star law schools where the difference in student caliber is "insane" between the top ranked school and the average. Most of them are pretty well on a level.*

*Except, of course, for U of M. That one is for dunces:P

yeah, I think I remember seeing that when I looked up canadian law school reqs (to figure out why so many canadians enrolled at my school). all your law schools (except for like one or two iirc?) have pretty massive LSAT/GPA requirements compared to a ton of US law schools, including mine. I couldn't have gotten into a canadian law school because my LSAT score was hilariously low.

(edit) http://www.oxfordseminars.ca/LSAT/lsat_profiles.php

LSAT isn't as high as I remembered, but those average GPAs... (except for Sask :D). UND's was 3.3~ GPA and 150~ LSAT iirc when I got accepted.

I had a 3.78 undergrad and 4.0 masters GPA. :smarty:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

I knocked the equivalents out of the park.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

When I applied to American Unis I got my Spanish grades translated and wound up with a 3.80 GPA. Pretty sure there was some mistake, though. But it was official  :D

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on January 29, 2016, 05:36:52 PM

Whenever the topic of the LSAT comes up, I am reminded that I have totally forgotten what I scored on it; once upon a time that was all-important.

My grades in undergrad were quite poor, I even got suspended for a semester, and needed a 3.3 my last term to get my GPA high enough for graduation. So it was an uphill battle for me to get into a good grad school. The GMAT is instantly graded, and after I took the test and got my paper showing my score, it was like getting a winning lottery ticket. It was a lot higher than I expected based on practice exams.

I think for me it was all important (a good school ended up giving me almost a full ride, and since my GPA was below what most top firms would consider, the guidance office called several of the firms and got me the interviews that set me on my way). Sometimes I get a kick out of mentioning my college grades, because it confuses people how I got a gig at a solid firm, or into a good grad school.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2016, 06:39:14 PM
Did you boot your grad school grades too?

No, I did well. Like a 3.7 or so...Grad school only lasted 2 semesters for me. In the first semester, my GPA was like a 3.9, but I got my future job in the first semester, so I lost interest in the second.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Meanwhile in Iowa:

What a heinous allegation! :o
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

Interesting article from David Frum on how the GOP establishment's failure to tackle issues that the middle class actually cares about is costing their candidates the primary and feeding into Trump's success: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/01/republicans-cant-have-it-all/431463/
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Admiral Yi

Was double-checking the location of my caucus site and procedures for changing party affiliation night-of, and learned that Republicans now vote secretly.  That's changed since I last went in 08.  Democrats still vote openly, by standing in herds.

Admiral Yi