And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on January 29, 2016, 01:36:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2016, 01:29:15 PM
Yep it is really bad. And I thought the 2004 election looked bad.

Easily the worst in our lifetimes. If Hillary wins and the email stuff blows over, she is a decent candidate. Rubio is the best the Republicans can hope for, and as you say he is weak as well (weaker resume than Hillary, but then not so old). if that is the election, it isn't too bad. But if it deviates at all from that...

Kasich

He is the only actual candidate who is sane, reasonable, moderate, and competent.

Should not be really objectionable to much of anyone.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2016, 02:03:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 29, 2016, 02:01:11 PM
What's wrong with Rubio?  He's a little weak on experience, but about on par with what Obama had.

Well he also has pretty extreme views for the 'rational' choice. And Obama was the outside insurgent guy, being selected almost because he had no experience. And now you have the establishment guy being of equal experience to what would have previously been an outsider longshot lightweight guy. Pretty messed up state of affairs.

Well the big selling point for Rubio was that he was the straddle candidate - he's mainstream enough to satisfy establishment voters, but he was radical enough to satisfy the tea party voters.  He's definitely no Jeb Bush.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on January 29, 2016, 02:04:25 PM

Easily the worst in our lifetimes. If Hillary wins and the email stuff blows over, she is a decent candidate. Rubio is the best the Republicans can hope for, and as you say he is weak as well (weaker resume than Hillary, but then not so old). if that is the election, it isn't too bad. But if it deviates at all from that...

Kasich

He is the only actual candidate who is sane, reasonable, moderate, and competent.

Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

garbon

Kasich

Yeah no one would take issue with these things. :P

QuoteHe was a commentator on Fox News Channel, hosting Heartland with John Kasich from 2001 to 2007. He also worked as an investment banker, a managing director of Lehman Brothers' Columbus, Ohio, office
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

I just heard the Duck Dynasty guy on the radio. He wants me to vote for Cruz.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Kasich

Well if he is still in the election by the time Super Duper Whama Blama Raining Mana Tuesday comes along I will consider it. I mean not that it will matter too much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 29, 2016, 02:10:11 PM
I just heard the Duck Dynasty guy on the radio. He wants me to vote for Cruz.

Yeah those guys strike me as Cruz's base.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Kasich

I wasn't considering him in the running because he doesn't have a chance.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 29, 2016, 02:07:35 PM
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

I knew you would throw off the shackles of that reactionary Burke eventually and embrace the genius of extreme revolution!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2016, 11:21:17 AM
We'll see. I am not so sure their supporters have that much overlap. Alot of Cruz supporters are anti-establishment types as well.

I'm not sure what "establishment" means in this context, if it includes the Senator with the fifth most conservative voting record(Rubio). The Cruz supporters I know are skeptical of Trump's true convictions and mainly want a bona fide conservative. Rubio might have hurt himself with his immigration bill, but the people who care most about that are already going for Trump.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 29, 2016, 02:14:38 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2016, 11:21:17 AM
We'll see. I am not so sure their supporters have that much overlap. Alot of Cruz supporters are anti-establishment types as well.

I'm not sure what "establishment" means in this context, if it includes the Senator with the fifth most conservative voting record(Rubio). The Cruz supporters I know are skeptical of Trump's true convictions and mainly want a bona fide conservative. Rubio might have hurt himself with his immigration bill, but the people who care most about that are already going for Trump.

A candidate the party leaders do not despise? But yes good point.

alfred russel

What's wrong with Rubio?  He's a little weak on experience, but about on par with what Obama had.

Obama had no real relevant experience, but has degrees from Columbia and Harvard and taught at Chicago Law. He ran as the really smart inspiring guy without much experience.

Rubio has degrees from UF and Miami. So I guess the comparison is he is the not really smart but kind of above average guy that isn't as inspiring as Obama but has roughly the same experience level?

Based on resume/experience, the republican candidate should be Bush or Kasich. One has an unfortunate last name; both suffer from being boring.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

The problem we are having is that no sane person with common sense would not be interested in running for president in the current political circus.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 29, 2016, 02:19:22 PM
The problem we are having is that no sane person with common sense would not be interested in running for president in the current political circus.

We now have that problem in government at all levels.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on January 29, 2016, 02:18:01 PM

Obama had no real relevant experience, but has degrees from Columbia and Harvard and taught at Chicago Law. He ran as the really smart inspiring guy without much experience.

Rubio has degrees from UF and Miami. So I guess the comparison is he is the not really smart but kind of above average guy that isn't as inspiring as Obama but has roughly the same experience level?

Based on resume/experience, the republican candidate should be Bush or Kasich. One has an unfortunate last name; both suffer from being boring.

Obama is smarter than Rubio because he went to Ivy league schools instead of UF and Miami? :rolleyes:

And how the hell does Jeb Bush have the experience to be President over than his last name.  Sure he was a moderately successful governor - who left office nine years ago.