News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

The usually restrained BBC  :bowler: does get out some of their better lines about our debates.  My favorite (about Carson):

QuoteThe retired neurosurgeon offered a third-straight somnambulant debate performance, which means he'll probably be the undisputed frontrunner when the next polls come out.

Full article
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DGuller on October 29, 2015, 12:10:36 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 28, 2015, 11:54:16 PM
Quote from: John HudakBen Carson, entering the night with the wind at his back, looked more like a candidate with the sun in his eyes—dazed, confused, and completely unprepared to debate the issues relevant for a presidential race.
:huh: How exactly was that different tonight compared to other nights?

Yeah. If he was any other candidate, I'd say he'd be dropping fast in the polls. However, his support seems to come from pure crazies and zealots, so it's really hard to tell how he'll be impacted, if at all.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 28, 2015, 11:40:34 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 28, 2015, 10:22:59 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 28, 2015, 10:16:12 PM
I don't think I can trust a party holding their primary debate during the World Series. I also don't think true Americans would watch the Republican primary debate with the World Series being on.  :hmm:

Fuck that noise. I am twice the American than you wish you were and I don't watch baseball.

:o Are you sure you're a Puerto Rican!?

Yes,  I am twice the Puerto Rican than you wish you were, what does that have to do with it?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 29, 2015, 08:00:26 AM
Quote from: DGuller on October 29, 2015, 12:10:36 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 28, 2015, 11:54:16 PM
Quote from: John HudakBen Carson, entering the night with the wind at his back, looked more like a candidate with the sun in his eyes—dazed, confused, and completely unprepared to debate the issues relevant for a presidential race.
:huh: How exactly was that different tonight compared to other nights?

Yeah. If he was any other candidate, I'd say he'd be dropping fast in the polls. However, his support seems to come from pure crazies and zealots, so it's really hard to tell how he'll be impacted, if at all.

Yeah, it seems Whispering Ben is getting the religious right vote and as long as he does not "compromise his morals and convictions" blah blah he'll get all those votes.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 29, 2015, 08:29:41 AM
Yes,  I am twice the Puerto Rican than you wish you were, what does that have to do with it?

Roberto Clemente is a the greatest Puerto Rican in history so everybody from Puerto Rico must watch baseball as a patriotic duty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 29, 2015, 08:31:21 AM
Yeah, it seems Whispering Ben is getting the religious right vote and as long as he does not "compromise his morals and convictions" blah blah he'll get all those votes.

You just need to get him to blurt out in a weak moment: 'the gays aren't so bad'.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2015, 08:33:43 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 29, 2015, 08:29:41 AM

Roberto Clemente is a the greatest Puerto Rican in history so everybody from Puerto Rico must watch baseball as a patriotic duty.
:yes:

Watch and play in the local league until your knees won't let you anymore.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

Gentlemen, gentlemen, I played beisbol as a young one, batting and running the bases was fun, standing out in the outfield was not so much fun, watching someone else play has always been boring.

And yes, Roberto was The Awesome.

Back on the debate last night: Biggest losers, Kasich and Bush?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 29, 2015, 08:45:10 AM
Gentlemen, gentlemen, I played beisbol as a young one, batting and running the bases was fun, standing out in the outfield was not so much fun, watching someone else play has always been boring.

And yes, Roberto was The Awesome.

Back on the debate last night: Biggest losers, Kasich and Bush?

What I think about Bush's candidacy.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Yeah, Kasich isn't really relevant enough to lose. You can't lose what you never had.

Which is, yet again, another damning statement about how fucked up the Republican Party is today.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on October 29, 2015, 08:59:39 AM
Yeah, Kasich isn't really relevant enough to lose. You can't lose what you never had.

Which is, yet again, another damning statement about how fucked up the Republican Party is today.

I think he has a good chance for VP.

He's from Ohio and will balance out the more conservative nominee.

A Rubio-Kasich team would have a chance to win I think.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Read an article in The Atlantic that talked, among other things, about the rule of 14.  Apparently since around the turn of the century very few people (LBJ might be the sole exception) have been elected president more than 14 years after they were elected as governor, senator, or vice president.  The thinking is after that time they're too stale.

Hillary and J.E.B. both break the rule of 14.

The article was about the trend toward electing presidents with less and less experience in elected office.

DGuller

It's easy to find a pattern that works retroactively, especially when you're dealing with maybe 20 data points.

MadImmortalMan

If you play football at Michigan, you can be President without even running.

100% correlation.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers