News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2015, 07:16:37 PM
I think you people are underestimating the danger of nuttiness.  Chinese are objectively a stronger power with much more potential than Russians, but they're not nuts.  Russians are nuts.  If you look back to 1933, you would probably think that Soviet Union is the real geopolitical foe, and yet it was the crippled Germany that turned to be a bit of an annoyance for a while.

Russia is not as nutty and dangerous as radical Islam or North Korea, nor as powerful as China. Also, I don't think Russia is our enemy at this point. Perhaps they're a less friendly rival than the Chinese, but we can at least be civil to each other.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 13, 2015, 07:52:59 PM
Russia is not as nutty and dangerous as radical Islam or North Korea, nor as powerful as China. Also, I don't think Russia is our enemy at this point. Perhaps they're a less friendly rival than the Chinese, but we can at least be civil to each other.
Radical Islam is an annoyance, not a geopolitical threat.  Maybe when Radical Islam gets nukes, air force, or even tanks, they'll be a real threat, but for now they're just pests.  North Korea is a nutty threat as well, but it's a very local one.  They can't choose to deliberately get in our way everywhere like Russian can.  I think you also underestimate just how self-brainwashed Russian people are.  Don't be mislead because of smart rational specimens like me;  there is a reason why I'm here and not there.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2015, 08:01:32 PM
I think you also underestimate just how self-brainwashed Russian people are.  Don't be mislead because of smart rational specimens like me;  there is a reason why I'm here and not there.

If Ukrainians are ambivalent about whether they're Russian or not, why are Americans supposed to care?  :hmm:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Gotta admit, it'd be kind of cool if Jeb ran with that slogan.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2015, 08:01:32 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 13, 2015, 07:52:59 PM
Radical Islam is an annoyance, not a geopolitical threat.  Maybe when Radical Islam gets nukes, air force, or even tanks, they'll be a real threat, but for now they're just pests.  North Korea is a nutty threat as well, but it's a very local one.  They can't choose to deliberately get in our way everywhere like Russian can.  I think you also underestimate just how self-brainwashed Russian people are.  Don't be mislead because of smart rational specimens like me;  there is a reason why I'm here and not there.

Cause you are Jew, and American jews helped bring you here?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

11B4V

DGuller

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 13, 2015, 06:29:18 PM
I wouldn't use the word "foe" though, apologies to Count de Scoop Jackson.  "competitor" would be fair.

Sure, as long as we stay on this side of the Pacific, then we won't be a foe.  But that is not an option.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2015, 10:00:34 AM
Quote from: Gups on January 13, 2015, 08:53:59 AM
You coudl kinda understand it if he were loved by the base ala Adlei Stevenson.

He does appear to be loved by the donor base.
I think that was a reflection of the weakness of the alternatives as well as a personal sympathy.

QuoteNY mag had a piece where they said they refused to believe this is real / why would Republicans want to give Romney another try when there are so many other candidates available.  I'm not sure I follow that given that buzz so far has been around dreadful Republicans.
2015's only just started. The Republicans have a very strong list of potential candidates from all sorts of wings of their party. They should be very happy.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 13, 2015, 11:43:34 PM
The Republicans have a very strong list of potential candidates from all sorts of wings of their party.

How many wings have you counted? :unsure: