News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

:(

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/romney-face-tattoo-guy-says-hes-not-supporting-romney-in-201#.qcVJaa3kE

QuoteRomney Face Tattoo Guy Says He's Not Supporting Romney In 2016
"You are waiting for him to shoot himself in the foot. It's going to look real good and then — bam something else — he screws it up," Eric Hartsburg said in an interview with BuzzFeed News.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

:yeahright: Are Mormons actually allowed to tattoo themselves, especially on the face?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2015, 09:32:39 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2015, 09:04:13 AM
Well, he did get the Russia thing right,

No, he didn't.  Russia is not our greatest geopolitical foe.  It may be Europe's greatest annoyance, however.

You keep saying that, but China isn't taking chunks out of other people's countries.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2015, 05:39:38 PM
:yeahright: Are Mormons actually allowed to tattoo themselves, especially on the face?

You'd have to be a Mormon to support Romney? :yeahright:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2015, 05:38:35 PM
:(

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/romney-face-tattoo-guy-says-hes-not-supporting-romney-in-201#.qcVJaa3kE

QuoteRomney Face Tattoo Guy Says He's Not Supporting Romney In 2016
"You are waiting for him to shoot himself in the foot. It's going to look real good and then — bam something else — he screws it up," Eric Hartsburg said in an interview with BuzzFeed News.

Damn, that is a stupid man.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on January 13, 2015, 05:44:38 PM
You keep saying that, but China isn't taking chunks out of other people's countries.

China is taking chunks out of other peoples' intellectual property, which is worth a fucking hell of a lot more than Ukrainian real estate.

garbon

Razgovory

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2015, 05:47:40 PM

China is taking chunks out of other peoples' intellectual property, which is worth a fucking hell of a lot more than Ukrainian real estate.

Yeah, the Russians do that as well.  So do the Ukrainians for that matter.  In fact, they are the worst.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on January 13, 2015, 05:49:43 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2015, 05:47:55 PM

Uh, no.  That's like Argentina claiming Antarctica.

Except, of course, that China has taken physical steps to mark its claim.

Razgovory

So has Argentina.   They are claiming land that nobody really owns.  I don't think anyone lives on the Spratley islands.  So it's a lot like Antarctica.  Their claim on the Parcel islands might have some merit. China's other claims are absurd, but then so are Vietnam's.  And of Course, Russia claims the Anatartic.  And unlike the Ukrainian thing, the Chinese haven't started a war over some damned coral reefs.

garbon

Wiki notes that China did kill people over some of those South China Sea claims in the 70s and 80s. Though that section also notes that many of the sentences like citations. :D

The Minsky Moment

No, he didn't.  Russia is not our greatest geopolitical foe.  It may be Europe's greatest annoyance, however.

Russia is a declining power facing a severe economic crunch.  China is a strong, rising power.  Russia's Ukrainian adventure is turning into quagmire, China is expanding its diplomatic and geopolitical freedom of action.  It's not even a close question, IMO

I wouldn't use the word "foe" though, apologies to Count de Scoop Jackson.  "competitor" would be fair.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 13, 2015, 06:29:18 PM
Russia is a declining power facing a severe economic crunch.  China is a strong, rising power.  Russia's Ukrainian adventure is turning into quagmire, China is expanding its diplomatic and geopolitical freedom of action.  It's not even a close question, IMO

I wouldn't use the word "foe" though, apologies to Count de Scoop Jackson.  "competitor" would be fair.
I think you people are underestimating the danger of nuttiness.  Chinese are objectively a stronger power with much more potential than Russians, but they're not nuts.  Russians are nuts.  If you look back to 1933, you would probably think that Soviet Union is the real geopolitical foe, and yet it was the crippled Germany that turned to be a bit of an annoyance for a while.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 13, 2015, 06:29:18 PM

That's fair.  They are a rising power, but they aren't a foe.  They want to be top dog, but their method of doing so is different.  They aren't seeking to overturn the world order (which they profit from so much), but rather use that order to make their way to the top.  The Russians would rather throw it all to ruin and then build something new with them on the top.  The Russian comes to your house with a gun, the Chinese come to your house with an eviction notice.