News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

on social media today, been seeing a lot of unhelpful accusations re: republicans being racist, etc. that stuff doesn't help anything. racism and sexism isn't why america elected trump.

The Larch

So, any idea about who can run for the Dems in 2020? I'm reading stuff about people urging Michelle Obama to run, that can't be for real, right?

LaCroix

FunkMonk

Quote from: LaCroix on November 09, 2016, 05:25:56 PM
on social media today, been seeing a lot of unhelpful accusations re: republicans being racist, etc. that stuff doesn't help anything. racism and sexism isn't why america elected trump.

In local news, students at American University burned American flags today to protest Trump's victory.

Really inspiring stuff, kids. Really.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on November 09, 2016, 05:26:53 PM
So, any idea about who can run for the Dems in 2020? I'm reading stuff about people urging Michelle Obama to run, that can't be for real, right?

Lena Dunham.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on November 09, 2016, 05:26:53 PM

It's never too early for a thread about these things.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Fate

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 09, 2016, 05:21:50 PM

The president's party almost always loses seats. SInce there's likely to be a bad recession that will probably happen again.

Yes, that's historically true. But you have to actually have Republican seats at risk and lose no Democrat districts to change control of the Senate. Who's vulnerable on the R side in 2018? Options are Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, Nebraska, Texas, Mississippi, and Tennessee. Maybe Nevada and Arizona? Fine.

Let's say the Dems win 2 R seats and hold 23! D seats - a serious stretch. It'd still be a 50-50 senate with Rep control from Pence.

Dems don't have a chance of getting back into government until 2020.

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 09, 2016, 05:21:50 PM
The president's party almost always loses seats. SInce there's likely to be a bad recession that will probably happen again.

That's true for the HOuse, but the Senate can vary a lot depending on which states are up for election.  And based on Fate's map I can see several possibly vulnerable Dem seats (Florida, W Virginia, Missouri, West Virginia) in places that went strongly for Trump.  Then there's the second tier of places like Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania that Trump did manage to win last night.

On the flip side, the only potentially risky senate seat for the Reps would be Nevada.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 09, 2016, 12:54:18 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 09, 2016, 12:32:25 PM
Christ, Biden was crying.

He knows he made the wrong decision. I feel really bad for him.  :(

His son died. You can hardly expect a man to start running doe president right after that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maximus

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2016, 02:26:19 PM
Quote from: Maximus on November 09, 2016, 02:23:16 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2016, 01:34:54 PM
So this is a true story.

I am playing a game of Triumph of Chaos, a card driven wargame based on the Russian Civil War.

The game is early, and nobody has any advantage yet.

I make a particular move. And the conversation goes like this:

Opponent: You should not do that.
Me: Why not?
Opponent: If you do that, I can do this. Which will then let me attack you. And if I win that attack, I almost certainly win the game.
Me: Yes, but I know that, and I also know that if you make that attack and fail, you will almost certainly lose the game.
Opponent: But why risk the game?
Me: It is not a risk at all, since I don't think you will make the attack, since you only have a 1/3 chance of winning. So you won't make the attack anyway, which makes my initial move safe. Why would you take a 1/3 shot at winning, when the penalty is losing in a game that presumably is still 50-50?

I make the moves, he makes the attack, and gets his 1/3rd result. Game over.

"See, I told you you should not have done that!"

I had a very similar interaction with you in a languish TNW game. :P

I rather doubt that - although the odds are very different in a multi-player game. A 50-50 shot to win a 5 player game is often a good bet...
It was a 1/6 chance that Habs would win on a die roll. You decided that I should be the one to discard a card to make the chance 0/6. I declined. Habs won the roll at which point you blamed me for the loss.

Drakken

Fine for Alec Baldwin, but you may keep Lean Dunham. :yuk:

Speaking of Alec, I'd swiftly negociate a lucrative four-year deal with SNL producers, now.

Martinus

Quote from: Drakken on November 09, 2016, 05:56:29 PM
Fine for Alec Baldwin, but you may keep Lean Dunham. :yuk:

Speaking of Alec, I'd swiftly negociate a lucrative four-year deal with SNL producers, now.

Don't you have some wildlife ocean reserve that could host Lena?

Habbaku

Quote from: Maximus on November 09, 2016, 05:50:10 PM
It was a 1/6 chance that Habs would win on a die roll. You decided that I should be the one to discard a card to make the chance 0/6. I declined. Habs won the roll at which point you blamed me for the loss.

The important thing is who won.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien