2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I'm sure he's got assets separate from his business and will be fine with a couple more bankruptcies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Yeah, he easily deserves the humiliation he's being put through.

After all his huffing and puffing and people freaking out about whether or not he'll contest the election after he loses by like 10 points, i think he'll actually quietly concede. He's a coward and a lazy fool at heart. His staff around him will impress upon him the importance of not fucking over the republic for the sake of his ego on election night.

However, I can also see him stepping out on that stage on election night, primed to give a concession speech, and then Trump being swept away by the maddening crowd baying for Clinton's blood, and then following their lead into the abyss. Because he's a moron.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

LaCroix

I'm sure he'll have money to retire. but he really cares about his empire and brand name. that's basically gone after all this. his supporters aren't the ones visiting his golf courses or staying at his hotels

FunkMonk

Quote from: Liep on October 20, 2016, 06:39:53 AM
Clearly rigged

https://www.rt.com/politics/363478-united-states-bars-russian-monitors/

QuoteThe request was also rejected on a state level, and in three states – Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Texas – officials used "very harsh formulas" to do so, the sources said. "In violation of all principles of democracy and international monitoring, in Texas they even threatened to hold monitors who appear at ballot stations criminally responsible," they added.

Don't mess with Texas.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on October 20, 2016, 01:42:32 AM
Incidentally, that's why I think the progressive ("regressive") left is such a threat to the American political system - because they seem to be the only group that does not appear to like any part of the US constitution.

I assume they like the 14th amendment although perhaps it's tainted because white men wrote it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zoupa on October 20, 2016, 01:06:51 AM
I don't know if you're talking to Beeb or I. Of course I understand the place the constitution holds in the US. My question to our american posters is more: are independents and democrats just as rahrah about it, or is it mostly the zomg guns/right to bear arms crowd?

Yes it's the secular religion of America.
Not every country likes to change republics like babies change diapers.  ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 20, 2016, 08:21:25 AM
After all this I'm starting to feel bad for Donald. He's just so completely out of his league (bigly!) . He sucks at debating, he can't stay on message much less string coherent thoughts together on stage, he doesn't know when to stop punching himself in the dick, can't take any advice... This whole time it's basically been The Donald vs. Himself and he's losing  :lol:

But yeah, his whole life is unraveling before him for all the world to see. Being humiliated in every debate, even if he doesn't even realize it. That has to to take a toll on him emotionally. I'm sure Ivanka, who seems like an actual decent human being, feels really bad for her Dad.  :(

There are some people whose capacity for introspection is so low that they are unable to mentally stand outside of themselves and imagine how they might seem to others.  I think he may be one of these people.  I don't think he understands at all how it can look when he does stuff like the "nasty woman" comment, or the exchange about Putin where he kept saying "No you're the puppet" like a child in a 2nd grade fight.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

I think he's just really old and not all there. I mean he always seemed a little mean and slow, but it's worse now. There should probably be a cut off age for a presidential nominee
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on October 20, 2016, 08:31:33 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on October 20, 2016, 08:21:25 AM
After all this I'm starting to feel bad for Donald. He's just so completely out of his league (bigly!) . He sucks at debating, he can't stay on message much less string coherent thoughts together on stage, he doesn't know when to stop punching himself in the dick, can't take any advice... This whole time it's basically been The Donald vs. Himself and he's losing  :lol:

But yeah, his whole life is unraveling before him for all the world to see. Being humiliated in every debate, even if he doesn't even realize it. That has to to take a toll on him emotionally. I'm sure Ivanka, who seems like an actual decent human being, feels really bad for her Dad.  :(

I have no sympathies whatsoever.  I mean, it is hard to find any politician who is more repulsive and revolting than Donald Trump in any functioning democracy.  Even if someone actively tries to be obnoxious, it is a challenge to beat Donald Trump.  Brags about sexually assaulting women?  Colludes with foreign enemies?  Calls for your political opponents be jailed or assassinated?  Spews lies non-stop?  Refuses to accept voting results?  Insults parents of fallen soldiers?  Attacks racial and religious minorities?  I am sure I have missed a whole lot.

I gotta go with Mono on this one.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: HVC on October 20, 2016, 10:02:57 AM
I think he's just really old and not all there. I mean he always seemed a little mean and slow, but it's worse now. There should probably be a cut off age for a presidential nominee

For this election I'd totally be for a cutoff age of, say, 67 years. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2016, 01:22:11 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on October 20, 2016, 01:06:51 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2016, 12:44:07 AM
But seriously, though, if you don't understand the place the Constitution holds in the US - after years on languish and years of US media coverage - it is highly unlikely that a few more posts are going to get you anywhere closer. Unless, of course, you're being deliberately daft.

I don't know if you're talking to Beeb or I. Of course I understand the place the constitution holds in the US. My question to our american posters is more: are independents and democrats just as rahrah about it, or is it mostly the zomg guns/right to bear arms crowd?

That was at Beeb. Comparing the Constitution to the British North America act is pretty insipid when the discussion is about the significance the Constitution holds in the minds of Americans.

Insipid?  Really?  Because the thing is - the BNA Act (renamed in 1982 to the Constitution Act) is exactly the same thing as the US Constitution.  That is to say - they are both written constitutional documents setting out how the nation is to be run.

Do I understand that the US Constitution has special reverence in US political life?  Of course I do.  You can see it all the time in US politics.  I just don't understand why it is so, or I guess I reject the notion that it should be revered in the manner it is.  Which is not the same as saying it should be ignored - far from it.  The rule of law is a very dear principle to uphold.  But rather that if the Constitution isn't working in some manner people should be free to discuss amending it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 20, 2016, 11:08:18 AM

Cruz would have won by default :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Quote from: derspiess on October 20, 2016, 11:08:18 AM

Be sure to vote McMuffin

Razgovory

CNN/ORC poll shows Clinton won the debate, but I don't trust them.  Last year they had a poll that showed that 60% of the population thought Hobbits naturally gravitate towards burglary.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017