2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2013, 07:02:20 PM
Who the hell is Shirley Manson?

Charles' daughter.

I kid. She's the lead singer of Garbage.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/elizabeth-warren-hillary-clinton-2016-143825887.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CWkTIJSHWUAqEjQtDMD

QuoteWill Elizabeth Warren challenge Hillary Clinton in 2016?

Will Elizabeth Warren challenge Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination in 2016?

That's what some observers in Washington are wondering, after a profile of the Massachusetts senator published by the New Republic on Sunday ("Hillary's Nightmare?") takes a hard look at the possibility of a Warren run for the White House.

"Yeah, Hillary is running," a former Warren aide told the magazine. "And she'll probably win. But Elizabeth doesn't care about winning. She doesn't care whose turn it is."

Earlier this year, Warren co-signed a letter with other Senate Democratic women urging the former first lady, senator and secretary of state to run in 2016. But she sidestepped a direct question from the New Republic's Noam Scheiber about the possibility of taking on Clinton in 2016.

"You've asked me about the politics," Warren said. "All I can do is take you back to the principle part of this. ... I know what I am in Washington to do: I'm here to fight for hard-working families."

Most insiders say Clinton would be an overwhelming favorite against any Democratic primary opponent. One far-too-early poll released in July showed Clinton holds a 48-point lead over Vice President Joe Biden and a 50-point advantage over Warren among Iowa Democrats.

However, former aides say the former Harvard law professor would be undeterred by polls.

"She has an immense — I can't put it in words — a sense of destiny," one said. "If Hillary or the man on the moon is not representing her stuff and her people don't have a seat at table, she'll do what she can to make sure it's represented."

Scheiber lays out Clinton's "nightmare" like this:

QuoteAny candidate who challenged Clinton would need several key assets. The candidate would almost certainly have to be a woman, given Democrats' desire to make history again. She would have to amass huge piles of money with relatively little effort. Above all, she would have to awaken in Democratic voters an almost evangelical passion. As it happens, there is precisely such a person. Her name is Elizabeth Warren.

Reminder: The first votes that count in the 2016 presidential campaign, the Iowa caususes, are scheduled for early January 2016.

:bleeding:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

QuoteMost insiders say Clinton would be an overwhelming favorite against any Democratic primary opponent. One far-too-early poll released in July showed Clinton holds a 48-point lead over Vice President Joe Biden and a 50-point advantage over Warren among Iowa Democrats.

:blink:

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 12, 2013, 10:50:36 AM
Good. Anyone but Clinton :mellow:

I think Warren is like a caricature version of the perceived negatives of Clinton apart from the dynastic piece.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I think your perceived negatives and those identified by a Clinton critic may be different.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Warren would be a perfect chance for Democratic primary voters that disfunctionality is not a monopoly of the right.

Eddie Teach

QuoteAny candidate who challenged Clinton would need several key assets. The candidate would almost certainly have to be a woman, given Democrats' desire to make history again. She would have to amass huge piles of money with relatively little effort. Above all, she would have to awaken in Democratic voters an almost evangelical passion. As it happens, there is precisely such a person. Her name is Elizabeth Warren.

Why is that so urgent?

Also, they could find a Mexirican or Celestial or openly homo candidate and still make history.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 12, 2013, 10:57:56 AM
I think your perceived negatives and those identified by a Clinton critic may be different.

I didn't mean my perceived negatives, I meant perceived negatives as portrayed in op-eds/media. I perceive to negatives in Clinton. :goodboy:

derspiess

It would take someone like Warren to make me feel better about Hillary.  If it were close between the two I'd go all Operation Chaos like Ed and vote for Hil in the primary.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

I thought Clinton had said she wasn't going to run again. Did she reverse that or are people just assuming she will?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on November 12, 2013, 11:21:37 AM
I thought Clinton had said she wasn't going to run again. Did she reverse that or are people just assuming she will?

I never heard that.  All I've heard from her is the waffling one expects from a potential candidate.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2013, 06:42:39 PM
No idea, but I don't see how that's relevant.

She's scottish/british and she's only happy when it rains.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.