And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on November 10, 2016, 01:07:35 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 10, 2016, 07:14:05 AM
I've seen a lot of folks online clamoring for Tammy Duckworth.

Female
Half Asian
War Hero
Part of the Sanders faction

How about finding someone who has policies that appeal to a majority of the electorate instead of ticking boxes on the diversity bingo chart? Clearly it is possible to have an old white (orange) man elected too.
Agreed, I really wish liberals would fucking stop with this checkboxes shit.  At some point not only did they become prime criteria for giving someone an important job, but the stigma of publicly discussing them went away.

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2016, 01:24:56 PM
It wasn't a literal glass ceiling; it was some machines rigged to spew confetti that looked like glass shattering IIRC.

That is still awful.

Maybe if we had elected Cruz or Rubio as the first hispanic president, he should have approached the podium in a way symbolic of the hispanic experience. The lights go dark, and he crawls along the ground through a small opening in a fence blocking his way, while border patrol agents eat donuts nearby. Then he pushes a lawnmower for a while, before entering a library where he stops to read books such as de tocqueville's Democracy in America. He is inspired, changes into a suit, leaves the library, and ascends to the podium as president elect.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Phillip V

Quote from: The Larch on November 10, 2016, 01:19:55 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 10, 2016, 01:02:10 PMThe electability argument is going to be harder to make in the future.

It seems to me that Trump's victory has blasted away a fair number of received wisdom on how a presidential candidate has to conform to certain norms for electability purposes, not just on political positions but on background and personal life as well. If somebody with as many negatives and skeletons in his closet (and in the open) as Trump can get elected, anyone can get elected (as long as they're a while male, I guess).

Don't forget that Obama had also helped blast away norms:  black first-term senator with a weird name from a northern Democratic state

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on November 10, 2016, 01:30:41 PM
Maybe if we had elected Cruz or Rubio as the first hispanic president, he should have approached the podium in a way symbolic of the hispanic experience. The lights go dark, and he crawls along the ground through a small opening in a fence blocking his way, while border patrol agents eat donuts nearby. Then he pushes a lawnmower for a while, before entering a library where he stops to read books such as de tocqueville's Democracy in America. He is inspired, changes into a suit, leaves the library, and ascends to the podium as president elect.
:lmfao:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Quote from: Phillip V on November 10, 2016, 01:36:47 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 10, 2016, 01:19:55 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 10, 2016, 01:02:10 PMThe electability argument is going to be harder to make in the future.

It seems to me that Trump's victory has blasted away a fair number of received wisdom on how a presidential candidate has to conform to certain norms for electability purposes, not just on political positions but on background and personal life as well. If somebody with as many negatives and skeletons in his closet (and in the open) as Trump can get elected, anyone can get elected (as long as they're a while male, I guess).

Don't forget that Obama had also helped blast away norms:  black first-term senator with a weird name from a northern Democratic state

The only relevant norm that Obama did with was him being black. In almost everything else he's as mainstream as it comes.

Trump is a political dilettante with far from a prim and proper personal life and business history, and there he is.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

I think the power of Barack Obama winning was in large part fueled by him refusing to be anything other than an american being elected president. Just the few times he acknowledged that he was a black man (in a context other than a lighthearted one) have been very controversial (Trayvon Martin shooting, the Gates Beer Summit).

He didn't need to talk about how ground breaking he was, and he didn't. People knew, and he diffused a lot of fear that would come with that by not mentioning it. He was so good on this point we probably got a black president a generation or two before the country was really ready for it.

I'm not sure why Hillary didn't take the same strategy.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Because she lacks whatever magical charismatic power Obama has. Everything she did tended to fall flat.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Quote from: alfred russel on November 10, 2016, 01:50:32 PM
I think the power of Barack Obama winning was in large part fueled by him refusing to be anything other than an american being elected president. Just the few times he acknowledged that he was a black man (in a context other than a lighthearted one) have been very controversial (Trayvon Martin shooting, the Gates Beer Summit).

He didn't need to talk about how ground breaking he was, and he didn't. People knew, and he diffused a lot of fear that would come with that by not mentioning it. He was so good on this point we probably got a black president a generation or two before the country was really ready for it.

I'm not sure why Hillary didn't take the same strategy.

This is a really good point and something I admired him for, actually.

In Hillary's case, chalk it up to another campaign blunder I imagine.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Caliga

Obama is an amazingly skilled politician.  Hillary isn't.  She was a dedicated public servant and she was more than qualified to serve as president, but she wasn't even close to Obama on sheer political skill.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2016, 01:56:31 PM
Obama is an amazingly skilled politician.  Hillary isn't.  She was a dedicated public servant and she was more than qualified to serve as president, but she wasn't even close to Obama on sheer political skill.

Boy you are telling me. It was very frustrating being her supporter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2016, 01:57:36 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2016, 01:56:31 PM

Boy you are telling me. It was very frustrating being her supporter.

True policy wonks simply don't get elected to high office (Al Gore, Gary Hart, Hillary Clinton).  And if they do, they're relatively ineffective with professorial approaches (Carter, Wilson, Obama ).

And besides, nobody likes the smartest kid in the class--especially if it's a girl.  #TracyFlick

Admiral Yi

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: alfred russel on November 10, 2016, 01:30:41 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2016, 01:24:56 PM
It wasn't a literal glass ceiling; it was some machines rigged to spew confetti that looked like glass shattering IIRC.

That is still awful.

now that would be one for the annals