2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

The first debate will be in a couple of weeks.  No matter what happens, the damage has already been done.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 19, 2015, 02:26:36 AM

They were the same dogs.

The Blue Dogs are not a 'were' yet. Barely. The home for sane Democrats seems to be the New Dem Coalition these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

One thing I do like about Trump is he is not a politician, and he will say whatever stupid shit he thinks/believes. That is refreshing, a candidate we actually know what his stance is instead of the ones that just say what we want to hear.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 20, 2015, 10:30:49 AM
One thing I do like about Trump is he is not a politician, and he will say whatever stupid shit he thinks/believes. That is refreshing, a candidate we actually know what his stance is instead of the ones that just say what we want to hear.

Do we really know what his stances are beyond whatever weird stuff he likes to bellow? Ross Perot was that guy, he had crazy shit to say but he also had serious policy stance positions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2015, 07:24:07 AM

They were the same dogs.

The Blue Dogs are not a 'were' yet. Barely. The home for sane Democrats seems to be the New Dem Coalition these days.

These "sane" democrats are still the conservative wing.  Filibustering anti-lynching laws, opposing civil rights, etc.  Same guys, different era.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 20, 2015, 11:19:01 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2015, 07:24:07 AM

They were the same dogs.

These "sane" democrats are still the conservative wing.  Filibustering anti-lynching laws, opposing civil rights, etc.  Same guys, different era.

Even worse, they are not entirely hostile to a balanced budget. Basically Hitler. But that is ok, Obama is Hitler as well. It is hard to find American Politicians who are not Hitler.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2015, 11:08:56 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on July 20, 2015, 10:30:49 AM

Do we really know what his stances are beyond whatever weird stuff he likes to bellow? Ross Perot was that guy, he had crazy shit to say but he also had serious policy stance positions.

No he didn't.  People like being told shocking nonsense.  Some people think that is telling truth to power.  You want a politician who says thing that people don't want to hear, look at Walter Mondale.  Nobody wants to here that the US has limits or needs to needs to raise taxes.  They want to hear it's morning in America.  They want to hear that the Mexicans are rapist wetbacks. They want to here that if there are bad things, it's someone else's fault.  For the cynic who fallen into the trap of believing that every one is crooked is a some sort of worldly wisdom, a third party candidate is quite attractive.  Ross Perot was a racist populist who thought the CIA was trying to disrupt his daughter's wedding.  I see nothing attractive about him.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2015, 11:24:09 AM

Even worse, they are not entirely hostile to a balanced budget. Basically Hitler. But that is ok, Obama is Hitler as well. It is hard to find American Politicians who are not Hitler.

They weren't actually for it either.  Trying to balance a budget in an economic crisis is idiotic.  Fortunately we didn't try to become Greece in 2009.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 20, 2015, 11:30:53 AM

They weren't actually for it either.  Trying to balance a budget in an economic crisis is idiotic.  Fortunately we didn't try to become Greece in 2009.

See? Evil. They would have made us Greece.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 20, 2015, 11:28:29 AM
No he didn't.  People like being told shocking nonsense.  Some people think that is telling truth to power.  You want a politician who says thing that people don't want to hear, look at Walter Mondale.  Nobody wants to here that the US has limits or needs to needs to raise taxes.  They want to hear it's morning in America.  They want to hear that the Mexicans are rapist wetbacks. They want to here that if there are bad things, it's someone else's fault.  For the cynic who fallen into the trap of believing that every one is crooked is a some sort of worldly wisdom, a third party candidate is quite attractive.  Ross Perot was a racist populist who thought the CIA was trying to disrupt his daughter's wedding.  I see nothing attractive about him.

It seems calling him more substantial than Donald Trump was too outrageous of a statement for Raz.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2015, 11:35:33 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 20, 2015, 11:30:53 AM

See? Evil. They would have made us Greece.

Worse, populist.  That most despised group on Languish.  It is a bit amusing so many here have a fond memory for the Strom Thurmond wing of the Democratic party.  If they were interested in balancing the budget where were they in 2001?  That was the time to do so.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2015, 11:37:42 AM

It seems calling him more substantial than Donald Trump was too outrageous of a statement for Raz.

Saying that Ross Perot had "serious policy stance positions" is an outrageous position.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 20, 2015, 11:39:08 AM
Worse, populist.  That most despised group on Languish.  It is a bit amusing so many here have a fond memory for the Strom Thurmond wing of the Democratic party.  If they were interested in balancing the budget where were they in 2001?  That was the time to do so.

Of course they were :unsure: In 2001 they were still actually relevant as a block before Obamacare pretty much killed them off. Their conservative constituencies just elected Republican nutcases after that.

By the time I started liking the Blue Dogs Strom Thurmond had been a Republican for over 30 years along with the rest of his kind. I have a hard time thinking it was based on memories of them, when they were still in office but for the other party.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on July 20, 2015, 11:41:22 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2015, 11:37:42 AM

Saying that Ross Perot had "serious policy stance positions" is an outrageous position.

I don't remember much about his policies but I do recall he actually had policies.  One policy of his that I do recall his opposition to NAFTA.