News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

This continued Republican infighting at the highest levels of power is hilarious. :D

Next, I want Trump to tell his supporters to egg Romney's houses.

Valmy

There is no damn way Paul Ryan thinks he can win the nomination in 2020. He is just trying not to be lynched by his fellow Representatives.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2016, 09:19:16 AM
There is no damn way Paul Ryan thinks he can win the nomination in 2020. He is just trying not to be lynched by his fellow Representatives.

Paul Ryan now risks getting lynched by the voters.

alfred russel

Quote from: Phillip V on May 09, 2016, 09:33:10 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2016, 09:19:16 AM

Paul Ryan now risks getting lynched by the voters.

By "getting lynched by the voters" I assume you mean "getting pushed into a lobbying career that will triple his pay, with additional lucrative speaking engagements on the side."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on May 09, 2016, 09:36:23 AM
By "getting lynched by the voters" I assume you mean "getting pushed into a lobbying career that will triple his pay, with additional lucrative speaking engagements on the side."

Oh yeah tons of people are going to be lined up to listen to him speak.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Not a very high risk, I'd say. If Wisconsin voters prefer Ted Cruz to Trump, it's likely they also prefer Paul Ryan to Trump's stooge candidate and Sarah Palin.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2016, 09:38:54 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 09, 2016, 09:36:23 AM

Oh yeah tons of people are going to be lined up to listen to him speak.

I don't think that corporations pay lots of money to former politicians for speaking engagements because they are such compelling speakers.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on May 09, 2016, 09:45:37 AM
I don't think that corporations pay lots of money to former politicians for speaking engagements because they are such compelling speakers.

Well the assumption being is that they have connections that the Corporation can use. If a politician is in disgrace and has few allies in Congress then what good is he?

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2016, 09:46:54 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 09, 2016, 09:45:37 AM

Well the assumption being is that they have connections that the Corporation can use. If a politician is in disgrace and has few allies in Congress then what good is he?

He is speaker of the house--the majority of elected republicans support him as their leader. Trump is the most divisive candidate of our lifetimes and is likely to lose in a tsunami.

I'm not sure how he ends up in disgrace or with few allies in congress (unless the tsunami taking out Trump takes out most house republicans as well).

Berkut

Getting slammed by Sarah Palin. Gee, that has to hurt.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Stating the obvious, but Marti is wrong about the Treasury issue.  The US treasury market is foundational to the existing international financial system and treasury securities have a key role as collateral.  It's one thing to have some worries about debt/GDP ratios or interest rate swings, but talking about failure to redeem at par is another thing entirely.

The basic problem as I think berkut identified - is that the skills required to be a successful NYC real estate operator don't readily transfer over to the conduct of public policy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on May 09, 2016, 10:29:18 AM
Getting slammed by Sarah Palin. Gee, that has to hurt.

Something that used to be a lot more common before the parties stabilized in their current political gridlock was congressional party switching. If the Republican Party starts to realign, I wouldn't be surprised to see some defections.

Sarah Palin looks eager to push the process along.

jimmy olsen

Probably be good for both of them. Seperates Ryan from Trump which is good for him once Trump goes down in flames. It's good for Trump because it makes him look strong.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/09/politics/paul-ryan-donald-trump-convention-chairman/

Paul Ryan will skip chairing convention if Donald Trump asks

By Tal Kopan, CNN

Updated 0021 GMT (0821 HKT) May 10, 2016

Washington (CNN) — House Speaker Paul Ryan would back out of chairing the Republican National Convention in July, if Donald Trump asks him to, his office confirmed Monday.

Ryan first made the comments to a home-town paper, telling the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, "He's the nominee. I'll do whatever he wants with respect to the convention."

The two are set to meet Thursday in Washington, after Ryan told CNN last week he was "just not ready" to throw support behind Trump, after rivals Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and Ohio Gov. John Kasich both suspended their campaigns making Trump the presumptive Republican nominee.

Trump will also meet that same day with Senate Republican leaders. Don Stewart, spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, said the meeting will take place at the National Republican Senatorial Committee near the Capitol at 11:45 a.m.

Trump said Ryan's comments "blindsided" him.

Trump responded with a statement saying he wasn't "ready" to embrace Ryan's agenda.

Ryan repeated that he did not rule out supporting Trump in the future, but had concerns he wanted addressed first.

"I never said never. I just said (not) at this point," Ryan told the Journal Sentinel. "I just want to get to know the guy ... We just don't know each other."

And Ryan said that he wasn't in the camp pushing for a third-party candidate to run against Trump.

That "would be a disaster for our party," Ryan told the Journal Sentinel. "I have communicated that to plenty of people."

Ryan is scheduled to preside over the GOP convention in Cleveland in July as part of his role as House speaker. He said even though he's not ready to back Trump, he would continue to fill that role regardless.

One of Trump's highest profile surrogates, Sarah Palin, announced on Sunday that she would back Ryan's primary challenger in Wisconsin.

"I think Paul Ryan is soon to be 'Cantored,' as in Eric Cantor," Palin said, referring to the former Republican House majority leader who was ousted in a shocking upset in his 2014 Virginia primary race.

Asked about Palin's comments on CNN, Trump called Palin "very much a free agent" and said he wasn't aware of her plans to back Ryan's opponent.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point