First 3-D-printed gun fired, but its digital blueprints make bigger bang

Started by jimmy olsen, May 06, 2013, 07:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 09, 2013, 02:27:21 PM
A lot of this is also mental masturbation.  We know what round was put in there, but what we don't know is the muzzle energy of this gun.
Muzzle energy of the gun??? Depends on what cartridge the "gun" is shooting  :huh:

Velocity of Bullet
Weight of bullet.

Was said it was a .380 right? Standard factory loaded round right?  With a 90-95gr bullet at about 950-1000 fps thats in the neighborhoood of 190-200 foot pounds at the muzzle.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2013, 02:49:27 PM
Well if you are smuggling a plastic gun around the idea is to get it inside of a secured area.  In that case you will probably be firing at point blank range since they will not be expecting you to have a weapon.

It's just going to be the zip gun of the 21st century.  Doesn't need range or firepower or any of the other characteristics that gets derspiess to roll over and annoy the wife when it's not even his birthday.

QuoteI also think the idea a knife would be more effective is rather absurd, it takes a bit more skill and physical strength to take somebody down with a blade than it does to point a gun and pull the trigger.

I dunno about that.  I always heard the refrain "run from a knife, close on a gun" in training.  A knife'll kill you quicker than dogshit, and it doesn't need to be expertly wielded, either.   You can bleed out before you even realize you were stuck.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2013, 03:11:01 PM
I dunno about that.  I always heard the refrain "run from a knife, close on a gun" in training.  A knife'll kill you quicker than dogshit, and it doesn't need to be expertly wielded, either.   You can bleed out before you even realize you were stuck.

That a fact?  Their lethality is pretty evident in stats (they are always a strong second behind handguns) but as somebody who has never killed anybody I know what I would rather have, even at close range.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on May 09, 2013, 03:02:04 PM
A lot of this is also mental masturbation.  We know what round was put in there, but what we don't know is the muzzle energy of this gun.
Muzzle energy of the gun??? Depends on what cartridge the "gun" is shooting  :huh:

Velocity of Bullet
Weight of bullet.

Was said it was a .380 right? Standard factory loaded round right?  With a 90-95gr bullet at about 950-1000 fps thats in the neighborhoood of 190-200 foot pounds at the muzzle.

But I'd have to think it's going to be less than that coming from a short plastic smoothbore barrel.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2013, 03:22:27 PM

That a fact?  Their lethality is pretty evident in stats (they are always a strong second behind handguns) but as somebody who has never killed anybody I know what I would rather have, even at close range.

Guns can miss, jam, scare the shit out of whoever's shooting it and get dropped and in close enough proximity, you can even disable one if you're a Green Beanie ninja.  But fuck that blade shit.  I've known guys that didn't even feel it go in and out until it was all over.  Hey, who's blood is this? *drop*

11B4V

Dudes doing pretty good with a knife against multiple cops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqMgG_FI2gI

The original clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75RTkGbiJpk

Neil

Remember that thread a seven or eight years back about some retard in Winnipeg who brought a knife to a fight with the cops, and then people were outraged when the cops put three in his chest?  All the bleeding hearts were like 'couldn't they have just shot the knife out of his hand?'
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 03:30:16 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 09, 2013, 03:02:04 PM

Velocity of Bullet
Weight of bullet.

But I'd have to think it's going to be less than that coming from a short plastic smoothbore barrel.

That's from a 3" barrel. Smooth or rifled is really irrelevant at PB range. Besides, all things being equal, a smoothbore would be faster in terms of velocity. Less accurate, however.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Besides, I think the a study came up with 65-80 foot pounds to kill a man. I would have to look around to find a link when I got time. Might have been a military study.

11B4V

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2013, 03:31:12 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2013, 03:22:27 PM

Guns can miss, jam, scare the shit out of whoever's shooting it and get dropped and in close enough proximity, you can even disable one if you're a Green Beanie ninja.  But fuck that blade shit.  I've known guys that didn't even feel it go in and out until it was all over.  Hey, who's blood is this? *drop*

I'm not quite sure what's being debated here.

Blades can absolutely be dangerous.  And totally agree you might not even feel it.  One of my favourite war stories was the guy who was having a birthday party, and wound up inviting a bunch of people he didn't know over to his house after the bar closed.  One of these guys was playing with his replica samurai sword.  So homeowner takes the sword and gently pokes the guy with the tip saying "don't touch my stuff".  No one thought anything of it at the time until 5 minutes later when the guy collapsed - his heart had been nicked.

Agree with the "run from a knife, but close to a gun", but I'd still rather deal with a knife weilding maniac than a gun weilding one, since I'd put more trust in my ability to run away than my ability to wrestle the gun out of the guys hand.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on May 09, 2013, 04:08:47 PM
I'm not quite sure what's being debated here.

That's because we're not really debating anything, counselor.  We're having a conversation.  We can do that without debate. :smarty: