And we're back!

Main Menu

Open mariages and paternity

Started by merithyn, May 02, 2013, 11:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

A friend recently gave me two bits of information:

1) Her newly married son and his wife are five weeks pregant; and
2) They are in an open marriage, which the wife made use of about five or six weeks ago with her husband's best friend. (Which, oddly, coincides with their wedding date.)

Setting aside the moral issues regarding open marriages, how will this work regarding paternity if sometime down the road this marriage falls apart (and really, why would it?)?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2013, 11:56:47 AM
A friend? :hmm:

Family member, actually, but that didn't seem important.

The Brain

I would never do that to a friend. Unless he travelled a lot.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on May 02, 2013, 11:57:42 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2013, 11:56:47 AM
A friend? :hmm:

Family member, actually, but that didn't seem important.

Wait she had sex with a family member now?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

I guess it comes down to who, if either of the two guys, sign the birth certificate.  If the husband signs it, then he's probably on the hook.  If neither sign it, he's on the hook unless he gets a DNA test post haste. 

To each his own, but the arrangement sounds creepy to me (surprise, surprise).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on May 02, 2013, 11:53:35 AM
A friend recently gave me two bits of information:

1) Her newly married son and his wife are five weeks pregant; and
2) They are in an open marriage, which the wife made use of about five or six weeks ago with her husband's best friend. (Which, oddly, coincides with their wedding date.)

Setting aside the moral issues regarding open marriages, how will this work regarding paternity if sometime down the road this marriage falls apart (and really, why would it?)?

He should get a paternity test.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: 11B4V on May 02, 2013, 12:00:34 PM

They should just be done as a matter of course. There's no reason every couple can't leave the hospital every time knowing the paternity of their child. It's 2013 ffs.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 02, 2013, 12:09:01 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 02, 2013, 12:00:34 PM

They should just be done as a matter of course. There's no reason every couple can't leave the hospital every time knowing the paternity of their child. It's 2013 ffs.

I was able to just look at my kids.  They look a lot like me.  Poor kids :(

Neither of them bear any resemblance to my wife at all, but Lola seems to be imitating her facial expressions-- and Latina temper.  A redhead with a Latina temper :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

I don't think that anyone is going to ask for a paternity test, and I'm fairly certain that the husband will be listed on the birth certificate.

If later, they should split up and it gets ugly, if they find out that the child isn't his biological child, what happens?

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 12:16:06 PM
I was able to just look at my kids.  They look a lot like me.  Poor kids :(

Neither of them bear any resemblance to my wife at all, but Lola seems to be imitating her facial expressions-- and Latina temper.  A redhead with a Latina temper :ph34r:

I've read that that's an evolutionairy thing. Babies tend to look just like their fathers until around their fourth or fifth birthday, at which time they start to look more like their mom. That way, the father is less likely to walk away, leaving Mom and Baby to die.

MadImmortalMan

If he's on the birth certificate, he'll still get fucked over by the court for support. If there's any chance at all he's not the father he should not put his name on the certificate.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 02, 2013, 12:21:06 PM
I don't think that anyone is going to ask for a paternity test, and I'm fairly certain that the husband will be listed on the birth certificate.

If later, they should split up and it gets ugly, if they find out that the child isn't his biological child, what happens?

Depends on state law, but there's a very good chance that hubby will be stuck with paternity.  Even if later on he can get a DNA test that proves he is not the father.  Best thing he can do to protect himself would be to not list himself on the birth cert and get a prompt DNA test.

Barrister

Being listed on the birth certificate does not matter.

As a matter of law, if you're legally married you are presumed to be the father (or, if you have been living common law for one year).

In the particular scenario that Meri has, where the couple live together, start raising the child, then split, the husband will be in loco parentis (in place of the parent), even if he is not bio dad.  As such he will be forced to pay for child support.

If the husband wanted to avoid paying child support he would need to separate from his wife, and ultimately get a divorce.  Because if they stay together he will be treated as the father.

The state of the law on this point drove Drakken into a furious rage the last time it came up in Languish...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.