News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

English language books everyone should read

Started by Razgovory, April 29, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I haven't finished Ulysses, but I have an annotated copy that has a long preface about the genesis of the work. Apparently Joyce had made a detailed spreadsheet of motifs and ideas per chapter that he followed meticulously. However, no one seemed to "get it", so he got so frustrated that eventually, years after the books was published, he released that information.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on April 30, 2013, 01:45:10 PM
I haven't finished Ulysses, but I have an annotated copy that has a long preface about the genesis of the work. Apparently Joyce had made a detailed spreadsheet of motifs and ideas per chapter that he followed meticulously. However, no one seemed to "get it", so he got so frustrated that eventually, years after the books was published, he released that information.

That's the book that I read, too. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Capetan Mihali

Malcolm Lowry, Under the Volcano.  Written in the late 40s (in B.C., no less :Canuck:), a hallucinogenic exploration of one day (the last day) in the life of a severely alcoholic British consul in Mexico in 1936.  Lowry's own alcoholism unfortunately reduced his output (and lifespan) a lot, so this is one lasting achievement, though other writings by him are great as well.  He has a very tragicomic novella about being picked up having the DTs on the NYC waterfront and being locked in Bellevue.

Raymond Carver, What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?, Cathedral short-story collections.  It's kind of love it or loathe it with Carver, though I think he gets a bad rap cause of the prominence of his less talented imitators, to this day, but esp. in the 80s.  All the stories were the process of an intense back and forth between Carver, who wanted the stories to be a little more expansive, and his very talented editor Gordon Lish, who used the scapel on them until they became the modern life fragments they are famous for. 

Anything by Jim Thompson during the 50s.  Nobody captured the the deranged and perverse in the American psyche than these hilarious pulp novels, written by a true pulp individual.  [Hmm, my list is all bad alcoholics at this point.  :hmm:]

Tropic of Cancer, Tropic of Capricorn, or the one I actually like best Black Spring, by Henry Miller.  Written in the 1930s by a Brooklynite telegram clerk who, around age 40 in the late 1920s, went over to live a poor and filthy expat life in Paris, the flip side of Fitzgerald et al's experience.  Tropic of Cancer was banned in the US for its sexual descriptions for years, and only made an impact here after Grove Press brought it out and had a big court case about it.  [EDIT: Not an alky!  :)]
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2013, 01:25:44 PM
Don't you know all literature worth reading originated in the UK or the US?

Not all of it, some was written by Americans living in Paris.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 30, 2013, 02:23:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2013, 01:25:44 PM
Don't you know all literature worth reading originated in the UK or the US?

Not all of it, some was written by Americans living in Paris.  ;)

Like an embassy they had a halo of US/UK around them protecting them from the unwashed masses. :goodboy:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Trying not to duplicate anything that's already been mentioned:

Gulliver's Travels by Johnathon Swift
Foundation, by Isaac Asimov

mongers

As I get older, I become less concerned about the books I've yet to read and more interested in the story I've so far told.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
The Aubrey/Maturin series
To Kill a Mockingbird
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Comedians
Mating

garbon

Quote from: mongers on April 30, 2013, 06:35:48 PM
As I get older, I become less concerned about the books I've yet to read and more interested in the story I've so far told.

I don't think Shitditch will be a bestseller. :console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Scipio on April 30, 2013, 09:54:26 AM
It may be inaccurate, but the language is certainly magisterial and as a work it is stupendous.
Yep. And there's always the old argument of what translation is for. You need, say, Heaney's Beowulf and a more literal almost transliteration. Both have their place. One's trying to make a work of art into art in another language, the other is to enable study and proximity to the other.

QuoteI did and do not ascribe to myself any preternatural powers, so I assume others must be capable of it as well.
Yep. I loved it.

For me I think The Sea, The Sea or another Murdoch (maybe The Bell, or Sacred and Profane Love Machine both of which I love) would be a must-read. Murdoch and Greene are probably the two authors I force most on other people.
Let's bomb Russia!

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Neil

Quote from: Pedrito on April 30, 2013, 02:00:34 AM
The Three Musketeers and Monte Cristo are English Literature? in which parallel universe?
Well, they were originally written in a dead language.  All works of consequence are English works.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive