News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Killing Texans

Started by Jacob, April 25, 2013, 10:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: sbr on April 26, 2013, 11:01:02 AM
Why does Canada want to stifle business?

Why does the US want to stifle life?

sbr

It's the American way.

Unless a brown person can be blamed, then it's srs bsnss.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2013, 10:53:50 AM
That is troubling.  In Canada health and saftey regulation falls mainly within the jurisdiction of the Provinces - unless it is a Federal Undertaking. Dont ask what that is, the answer gets a bit long.

In this Province these sorts of things would normally be met with fines and potential criminal prosecution (under the Provincial Statute) for the directors of the company if any death or injury occurred because of the violations.

Yeah, that is troubling.

Though I still have faith that if the place HVC worked actually blew up and killed a bunch of people, that would be a major scandal leading to new legislation, more stringent enforcement across the board, some sort of inquiry, and most likely several people losing their jobs.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2013, 08:24:42 AM
I don't think it much different in Canada. Over 6 years I've had 2 jobs in manufacturing plants. Not explosives, but dangerous heavy machinery and huge potential for fires. I've yet to see any inspection. The closest  I can think of was at my last place. Regulators called asking if we had put up guarding on the machinery. We said nope. They said regulations have been in place and we should have had guarding up for five years. We said were working on it. They said let us know when you're done :lol:  then there was the unventilated painting line, which sucked. Paint came with giant warning about the health hazard of the fumes. Oh, and the welding line was right next to it   Safe!
They're all in Quebec checking construction site, inspecting ladders and other trivial issues.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on April 26, 2013, 12:49:26 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2013, 08:24:42 AM
I don't think it much different in Canada. Over 6 years I've had 2 jobs in manufacturing plants. Not explosives, but dangerous heavy machinery and huge potential for fires. I've yet to see any inspection. The closest  I can think of was at my last place. Regulators called asking if we had put up guarding on the machinery. We said nope. They said regulations have been in place and we should have had guarding up for five years. We said were working on it. They said let us know when you're done :lol:  then there was the unventilated painting line, which sucked. Paint came with giant warning about the health hazard of the fumes. Oh, and the welding line was right next to it   Safe!
They're all in Quebec checking construction site, inspecting ladders and other trivial issues.
oh construction gets scrutinized heavily here too. But usually by the unions trying slow down construction by storms of paper to extort the building company. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

As for my experience its only a sample size of 2, maybe they've just fallen through the cracks.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Has Jim Stone explained what really happened?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

QuoteThe plant had 1,350 times the legally allowed amount of highly explosive ammonium nitrate, yet hadn't informed the Department of Homeland Security of the danger.

That's sort of like saying someone has been robbing convenience stores for years, yet hadn't informed the local police department.  Of course most people doing something illegal don't report themselves to the authorities.  D'oh.

The Brain

Quote from: dps on April 26, 2013, 04:34:33 PM
QuoteThe plant had 1,350 times the legally allowed amount of highly explosive ammonium nitrate, yet hadn't informed the Department of Homeland Security of the danger.

That's sort of like saying someone has been robbing convenience stores for years, yet hadn't informed the local police department.  Of course most people doing something illegal don't report themselves to the authorities.  D'oh.

I don't follow.

dps

Quote from: The Brain on April 26, 2013, 04:49:41 PM
QuoteThe plant had 1,350 times the legally allowed amount of highly explosive ammonium nitrate, yet hadn’t informed the Department of Homeland Security of the danger.

I don't follow.

So, you consider yourself a natural leader?

The Brain

Quote from: dps on April 26, 2013, 05:08:13 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 26, 2013, 04:49:41 PM

I don't follow.

So, you consider yourself a natural leader?

Not natural, no.

frunk

I doubt anyone will go to prison for this nearly as long as if they had robbed a convenience store.

dps

Quote from: frunk on April 26, 2013, 06:25:50 PM

I doubt anyone will go to prison for this nearly as long as if they had robbed a convenience store.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if anyone goes to prison for it at all.

MadImmortalMan

What's the legally allowed amount of ammonium nitrate?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 26, 2013, 07:44:10 PM
What's the legally allowed amount of ammonium nitrate?

The West Fertilizer company plant's inventory divided by 1,350.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017