News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Killing Texans

Started by Jacob, April 25, 2013, 10:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Hey Valmy- is there going to be any kind of political fallout or consequence for the explosion in West, Texas?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/mike-elk-the-texas-fertilizer-plant-explosion-cannot-be-forgotten/2013/04/23/48eb770c-ac26-11e2-b6fd-ba6f5f26d70e_story.html

QuoteThe plant had 1,350 times the legally allowed amount of highly explosive ammonium nitrate, yet hadn't informed the Department of Homeland Security of the danger. Likewise, the fertilizer plant did not have sprinklers, shut-off valves, fire alarms or legally required blast walls, all of which could have prevented the catastrophic damage done.

And there was little chance that regulators would learn about the problems without the company reporting them: Not only had the Occupational Safety and Health Administration not inspected the plant since 1985 but also, because of underfunding, OSHA can inspect plants like the one in West on average only once every 129 years.

Jacob

QuoteIn 2011, 4,609 Americans were killed in workplace accidents while only 17 Americans died at the hands of terrorists — about the same number as were crushed to death by their televisions or furniture.

sbr

Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2013, 10:27:19 PM
QuoteIn 2011, 4,609 Americans were killed in workplace accidents while only 17 Americans died at the hands of terrorists — about the same number as were crushed to death by their televisions or furniture.

Thank God for Liberty.

CountDeMoney

This issue was brought up in the original ZOMG FURTALIZER ESPLOSION thread.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2013, 10:48:37 PM

What was the answer?

CountDeMoney

That things like federal regulation and mandatory safety standards interfere with freedomness and libertytude, so don't mess with Texas.

Scipio

Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2013, 11:12:40 PM

What was the answer?
America, fuck yeah!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Scipio on April 25, 2013, 11:16:33 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2013, 11:12:40 PM

What was the answer?
America, fuck yeah!
Aren't you a full blown libertarian? :yeahright:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 26, 2013, 12:04:47 AMAren't you a full blown libertarian? :yeahright:

That's between him and his significant other.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Jacob

... so is the summary that a complete erosion of regulation and oversight is inevitable in the current political climate, so you'll just take the assorted deaths and maimings? Or do you figure that various law-suits will correct the most egregious problems over the course of time?

Razgovory

I think the plan is to take the assorted deaths and maiming.  I guess we could have congressional hearings to find out why Congress saw fit to underfund OSHA.  Then maybe we could have Rand Paul stand before congress to tell Rand Paul that if he was Rand Paul he would demand Rand Paul's resignation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

I don't think it much different in Canada. Over 6 years I've had 2 jobs in manufacturing plants. Not explosives, but dangerous heavy machinery and huge potential for fires. I've yet to see any inspection. The closest  I can think of was at my last place. Regulators called asking if we had put up guarding on the machinery. We said nope. They said regulations have been in place and we should have had guarding up for five years. We said were working on it. They said let us know when you're done :lol:  then there was the unventilated painting line, which sucked. Paint came with giant warning about the health hazard of the fumes. Oh, and the welding line was right next to it   Safe!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2013, 08:24:42 AM
I don't think it much different in Canada. Over 6 years I've had 2 jobs in manufacturing plants. Not explosives, but dangerous heavy machinery and huge potential for fires. I've yet to see any inspection. The closest  I can think of was at my last place. Regulators called asking if we had put up guarding on the machinery. We said nope. They said regulations have been in place and we should have had guarding up for five years. We said were working on it. They said let us know when you're done :lol:  then there was the unventilated painting line, which sucked. Paint came with giant warning about the health hazard of the fumes. Oh, and the welding line was right next to it   Safe!

That is troubling.  In Canada health and saftey regulation falls mainly within the jurisdiction of the Provinces - unless it is a Federal Undertaking. Dont ask what that is, the answer gets a bit long.

In this Province these sorts of things would normally be met with fines and potential criminal prosecution (under the Provincial Statute) for the directors of the company if any death or injury occurred because of the violations.

sbr

Why does Canada want to stifle business?

If people don't want to work for a company that uses unsafe practices they should just find another job.