Why does the Western world tolerate Pitcairn?

Started by Martinus, April 25, 2013, 08:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Apparently child abuse and other crimes are ubiquitous there. Why won't Britain or Australia just claim the island and put perpetrators in prison?

Valmy

Aren't there like 50 people on that island?  I suspect we tolerate because it is so remote and insignificant.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2013, 08:26:30 AM
Apparently child abuse and other crimes are ubiquitous there. Why won't Britain or Australia just claim the island and put perpetrators in prison?

What the hell are you talking about?  It's an island with like 50 people on it.  And it's already owned by Britain.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Well, britain did fly in a court, hold a trial, build a prison and issue a new constitution. Short of quartering red-coats in homes with children, what do you want them to do?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Lettow77

Was this created completely to throw the numbers for the "What contrived problem will Martinus feel outraged over next" pool?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Malthus

What do you expect from the descendants of mutineers?

:pirate
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I do wonder what Marty read that provoked this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Quote from: Viking on April 25, 2013, 08:31:28 AM
Well, britain did fly in a court, hold a trial, build a prison and issue a new constitution. Short of quartering red-coats in homes with children, what do you want them to do?

They didn't fly in anyone.  Pitcairn doesn't have an airport or a suitable place for a harbor.  Instead the islanders ferry in people on a nice big lifeboat kind of thing.  Yeah, I saw it in 1987, none of us went ashore it was too stormy there - we just sailed off.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2013, 08:26:30 AM

maybe they should direct a few movies to gain acceptance

Viking

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2013, 08:39:18 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 25, 2013, 08:31:28 AM

They didn't fly in anyone.  Pitcairn doesn't have an airport or a suitable place for a harbor.  Instead the islanders ferry in people on a nice big lifeboat kind of thing.  Yeah, I saw it in 1987, none of us went ashore it was too stormy there - we just sailed off.

OK, they sailed in a court... that is just so much more of an effort.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

What viking says, they don't tolerate it, it was a huge scandal, a pretty major court case.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 25, 2013, 08:32:49 AM
Was this created completely to throw the numbers for the "What contrived problem will Martinus feel outraged over next" pool?

:)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: Viking on April 25, 2013, 08:43:52 AM
OK, they sailed in a court... that is just so much more of an effort.

That was my point.  It is incredibly remote, when the allegations in the early 2000s were found out there were trials and all that.  There may well be more problems now, but that very remoteness makes things far harder.

Maybe they can airdrop in the Polish Gay Legal Justice team, I don't know.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2013, 08:38:43 AM

I bet someone insulted a gay person there.
and the horse you rode in on

Viking

Quote from: fahdiz on April 25, 2013, 10:28:55 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2013, 08:38:43 AM

I bet someone insulted a gay person there.

Probably found out that Fletcher Christian

wasn't ghey.