News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama to end the war on drugs?

Started by Jacob, April 24, 2013, 05:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 25, 2013, 12:07:07 PM
lol, anyone who wants to try to smoke pot now does so now.  You need to be pretty damn naive to think otherwise.

Not true. For example I wouldn't mind smoking a joint just to see how it is (though, that being said, I never smoked a cigarette either), and might end up liking it. Not that my productivity can fall more, what with posting on Languish and all.  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2013, 01:52:27 PM
lol, anyone who wants to try to smoke pot now does so now.  You need to be pretty damn naive to think otherwise.

Not true. For example I wouldn't mind smoking a joint just to see how it is (though, that being said, I never smoked a cigarette either), and might end up liking it.

:hmm:

Live a little, people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Phillip V on April 25, 2013, 12:01:44 PM
I have never smoked and do not intend to so as to not jeopardize my employment and security clearance.

However, if marijuana was legalized with usage causing no adverse effects, I would consider it. I assume smoking a joint is like enjoying a glass of wine?

Different.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 25, 2013, 01:56:56 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2013, 01:52:27 PM

Not true. For example I wouldn't mind smoking a joint just to see how it is (though, that being said, I never smoked a cigarette either), and might end up liking it.

:hmm:

Live a little, people.

Well, I was closeted and pretty square until after law school and now I don't know where to get it. Plus I'm afraid I'd puke. I'd have a magic cookie though.

derspiess

Everyone is always shocked when I tell them I never smoked pot :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2013, 01:59:36 PM

Nobody is shocked when I them them I never smoked pot. :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2013, 02:09:09 PM
I have.  But then again, I've never been one to let the law dictate what I want to do.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2013, 01:58:53 PM
Well, I was closeted and pretty square until after law school and now I don't know where to get it. Plus I'm afraid I'd puke. I'd have a magic cookie though.

Lame.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on April 25, 2013, 02:11:19 PM
I have.  But then again, I've never been one to let the law dictate what I want to do.

Ah, one of those "The Criminal Code is not a Holy Book" types.

Razgovory

Nobody care ones way or the other when I tell them I never smoked pot.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2013, 02:26:33 PM

Nobody care ones way or the other when I tell them I never smoked pot.

I guess I sort of come across as a pothead sometimes.  Kind of dopey & whatnot.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Iormlund

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2013, 11:57:48 AM
:huh:

It seems entirely logical that there is some number of people who would use drugs, but do not for the simple reason it is against the law.

Trying to estimate how many people that is would be quite difficult, but it's a number greater than zero.

Might be greater than zero, but also rather insignificant. I've lived all my life in a very permissive society and can't think of anyone that started taking drugs as an adult. People experiment in their teens and I don't know a single teenager who is greatly concerned about what the law might say about him drinking or snorting coke.

derspiess

Quote from: Iormlund on April 25, 2013, 02:49:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2013, 11:57:48 AM
:huh:

It seems entirely logical that there is some number of people who would use drugs, but do not for the simple reason it is against the law.

Trying to estimate how many people that is would be quite difficult, but it's a number greater than zero.

Might be greater than zero, but also rather insignificant. I've lived all my life in a very permissive society and can't think of anyone that started taking drugs as an adult. People experiment in their teens and I don't know a single teenager who is greatly concerned about what the law might say about him drinking or snorting coke.

I don't think that's a relevant situation though.  You lived all your life in a permissive society, but you haven't seen the transition from restrictive to permissive, in terms of drug use.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 25, 2013, 02:13:51 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 25, 2013, 02:11:19 PM
Ah, one of those "The Criminal Code is not a Holy Book" types.
I suppose.  But then again, I've never given much thought to holy books either.  I just do what feels right.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quotelol, anyone who wants to try to smoke pot now does so now.  You need to be pretty damn naive to think otherwise.
I smoked pot in college until I realized I wanted to eventually work in national security or the military, and I'd gladly smoke again were it not for certain security tests. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."