And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama to end the war on drugs?

Started by Jacob, April 24, 2013, 05:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2013, 11:57:48 AM
:huh:

It seems entirely logical that there is some number of people who would use drugs, but do not for the simple reason it is against the law.

Trying to estimate how many people that is would be quite difficult, but it's a number greater than zero.
I don't think it's realistic that the productivity loss from people being able to enjoy Princess Mononoke a whole lot more is going to cancel out what would be gained by having a ton of non-violent offenders coming back in to gainful employment. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Iormlund

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2013, 02:57:14 PM
I don't think that's a relevant situation though.  You lived all your life in a permissive society, but you haven't seen the transition from restrictive to permissive, in terms of drug use.

You miss the point.

People experiment in their teens, when it is illegal to take drugs, rather than as adults, when it would be tolerated. So not only the law fails to deter illegal use, but whether you allow adult drug use is largely irrelevant since the time of experimenting is long past.

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2013, 02:39:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2013, 02:26:33 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2013, 02:09:09 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2013, 01:59:36 PM
Everyone is always shocked when I tell them I never smoked pot :unsure:

Nobody is shocked when I them them I never smoked pot. :unsure:

Nobody care ones way or the other when I tell them I never smoked pot.
I guess I sort of come across as a pothead sometimes.  Kind of dopey & whatnot.
It's all the ska and reggae music :contract:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on April 25, 2013, 03:32:37 PM
I don't think that's a relevant situation though.  You lived all your life in a permissive society, but you haven't seen the transition from restrictive to permissive, in terms of drug use.

You miss the point.

People experiment in their teens, when it is illegal to take drugs, rather than as adults, when it would be tolerated. So not only the law fails to deter illegal use, but whether you allow adult drug use is largely irrelevant since the time of experimenting is long past.

I think you'd be very surprised.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2013, 03:45:24 PM

You miss the point.

Indeed. As Marti already demonstrated in this thread - different people experiment at different times.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 25, 2013, 03:46:45 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2013, 03:45:24 PM

You miss the point.

Indeed. As Marti already demonstrated in this thread - different people experiment at different times.

Marti is full of it.  If he really wanted to experiment he lived how may minutes away from Amsterdam at one point?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Yep never tried pot till I was 23.

katmai

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 25, 2013, 03:53:14 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 25, 2013, 03:52:23 PM

The homeschool exception
Nah I had been around it all time when growing up, so never had that allure. Same with drinking which I never did really til I was 21.

crazy canuck

Quote from: katmai on April 25, 2013, 03:55:48 PM

The homeschool exception
Nah I had been around it all time when growing up, so never had that allure. Same with drinking which I never did really til I was 21.

See BB, people can actually decide not to use even when it is freely available. :P

The Minsky Moment

Effect on productivity doesn't seem to be a legit reason for a criminal prohibition.  Alchohol has massive negative effects on productivity; the economic costs of alchohol consumption would have to counted in many billions of dollars.  No one serious seems to think that a valid basis for re-imposing Prohibition.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 25, 2013, 06:14:25 PM
Effect on productivity doesn't seem to be a legit reason for a criminal prohibition.  Alchohol has massive negative effects on productivity; the economic costs of alchohol consumption would have to counted in many billions of dollars.  No one serious seems to think that a valid basis for re-imposing Prohibition.
Not necessarily.  After all, status quo is always the easiest path to walk.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

Quote from: katmai on April 25, 2013, 03:55:48 PM

The homeschool exception

This is pretty much my experience, stuff about a lot, no big deal, so no big interest in using it. Couldn't tell you when I first had some doped, possible 20 and never really been a part of my life.
Similarly, I probably had a few drinks in pubs whilst under-age, but the whole 'illegal' thing wasn't an important vibe for me or my peer group, so getting utterly hammered was never really an aim. I guess over the years my consumption of booze has gradually declined to very little indeed.

Seems to be that kids who are constricted, too tightly monitored or controlled, are often the ones who find the allure of 'forbidden fruits' too much and a far proportion of them eventually go off the rails for a while/permanently. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I never tried it until I was 19 or 20 or round about there.  Long after I started drinking. No way would I have done it as a teenager, back then I still believed the all drugs are the same, do weed and you'll look like a character in trainsporting in short order, etc.... stuff.

I don't think the amount of people avoiding it because it's illegal but would do it if it was legal is particularly high. When I lived in Amsterdam there were some people who had been users at home who took it up with relish there, some people who did a little at home who did a little there and some who had never done it who didn't suddenly start just because they could go to a shop rather than having to ask a friend.
It is very easily available if you want it and isn't regarded as an immoral crime.
██████
██████
██████