News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama to end the war on drugs?

Started by Jacob, April 24, 2013, 05:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on April 24, 2013, 08:27:18 PM
Ending the War On Drugs would provide real immediate and lasting stimulus to the economy.

How?  Productivity would go to shit, anyway :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2013, 11:45:00 AM
Ending the War On Drugs would provide real immediate and lasting stimulus to the economy.

How?  Productivity would go to shit, anyway :p

I know you are joking and so this is not directed at you.  But the assumption that more people will use if criminal sanctions are not imposed is a bit odd and unfortunately is the rational behind criminalizing a health issue.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 25, 2013, 11:48:20 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2013, 11:45:00 AM

How?  Productivity would go to shit, anyway :p

I know you are joking and so this is not directed at you.  But the assumption that more people will use if criminal sanctions are not imposed is a bit odd and unfortunately is the rational behind criminalizing a health issue.

:huh:

It seems entirely logical that there is some number of people who would use drugs, but do not for the simple reason it is against the law.

Trying to estimate how many people that is would be quite difficult, but it's a number greater than zero.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 25, 2013, 11:48:20 AM

I was joking but I would be surprised if drug use did not increase if decriminalized.  I've heard plenty of drug legalization advocates say as much.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Phillip V

I have never smoked and do not intend to so as to not jeopardize my employment and security clearance.

However, if marijuana was legalized with usage causing no adverse effects, I would consider it. I assume smoking a joint is like enjoying a glass of wine?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

lol, anyone who wants to try to smoke pot now does so now.  You need to be pretty damn naive to think otherwise.

I suppose there is some miniscule percentage of the population that might want to try but are working in zero tolerance sorts of jobs.  But are we really going to keep criminalizing a medical condition because of that?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 25, 2013, 12:07:07 PM
lol, anyone who wants to try to smoke pot now does so now.  You need to be pretty damn naive to think otherwise.

I suppose there is some miniscule percentage of the population that might want to try but are working in zero tolerance sorts of jobs.  But are we really going to keep criminalizing a medical condition because of that?

So you're agreeing with me - there are some people who might smoke if it was legal, but don't at present.

And since when is smoking marijuana a medical condition?

crazy canuck

I can only hope your way of looking at this is becoming a significant minority in this country.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2013, 08:34:06 PM
Would it help more than it would hurt?  After all, huge segments of the law enforcement industry depend on drug crime.

Then again, I suppose that ending Prohibition helped the recovery from the Great Depression, so it's worth a shot.

maybe transfer to parts of law-enforcement to customs. The drugs will still come in after all, and smuggling wills till be a crime...

crazy canuck

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 25, 2013, 12:21:16 PM
Would it help more than it would hurt?  After all, huge segments of the law enforcement industry depend on drug crime.

Then again, I suppose that ending Prohibition helped the recovery from the Great Depression, so it's worth a shot.

maybe transfer to parts of law-enforcement to customs. The drugs will still come in after all, and smuggling wills till be a crime...

The extent to which drugs come across borders illegally would be a function of the cost difference between the illegal drugs and the drugs which can be obtained legally.  Given that the tax on such things would be high there would likely be some smuggling but not likely on the level there is today.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 25, 2013, 12:40:57 PM

The extent to which drugs come across borders illegally would be a function of the cost difference between the illegal drugs and the drugs which can be obtained legally.  Given that the tax on such things would be high there would likely be some smuggling but not likely on the level there is today.

If you go back to the OP it seems as if Obama just wants to move towards a more treatment-focused approach.  They're not legalizing it, and you won't be buying a joint atthe corner store.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2013, 12:43:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 25, 2013, 12:40:57 PM

If you go back to the OP it seems as if Obama just wants to move towards a more treatment-focused approach.  They're not legalizing it, and you won't be buying a joint atthe corner store.

You missed the point where the discussion advanced and the quip was made about where all the law enforcement would go if it was legalized.

I know you are stick in the mud about this topic but try to keep up.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2013, 12:13:39 PM
Around the time that personal failings ceased to exist.

I would imagine C is pulling his opinion on this from the same place where he got his conviction that soccer and basketball would be the most popular sports in Canada if it weren't for an unholy conspiracy of CBC, TSN and the NHL.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on April 25, 2013, 01:04:39 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2013, 12:13:39 PM
Around the time that personal failings ceased to exist.

I would imagine C is pulling his opinion on this from the same place where he got his conviction that soccer and basketball would be the most popular sports in Canada if it weren't for an unholy conspiracy of CBC, TSN and the NHL.

It figures that two guy from Edmonton with brain cells being killed off by the cold would agree on this issue.