4. Light MG- MG34/42
5. Med MG- MG34/42
6. Heavy MG- M2
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on April 22, 2013, 03:08:32 PM

According to vets, having a BAR in your squad and hearing it firing was a morale-booster, so there's that.

But also according to Vets, hearing the German MG34/42 open up was incredibly demoralizing. And the US Army had no answer for it, and the Germans used them as squad level weapons - sometimes 2 per squad in fact.

Hell, the Germans pretty much built the squad around the MG34/42 LMG.

0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2013, 03:01:44 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 22, 2013, 01:58:42 PM
Small arms is next category

1. Pistol- M1911
2. Submachines Gun- PPSh
3. Battle Rifle- M1 Garand
4. Light MG- BAR
5. Med MG- MG34/42
6. Heavy MG- Ma Deuce

I don't think BAR was a light machine gun.  It was sometimes used as one, but it never really worked well.  The best light machine gun was Type 99 in Japanese service.  You could put a bayonet on it!

We are not talking the best. FAVORITE. Read the original post.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Also we are forgetting some categories like light mortars and anti-tank rockets and grenades.  I suppose there is also anti-tank rifles, but there is no best since none of them were very useful.  The US 60mm mortar was a huge advantage and nobody had anything close to it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on April 22, 2013, 03:27:57 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2013, 03:01:44 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 22, 2013, 01:58:42 PM
Small arms is next category

1. Pistol- M1911
2. Submachines Gun- PPSh
3. Battle Rifle- M1 Garand
4. Light MG- BAR
5. Med MG- MG34/42
6. Heavy MG- Ma Deuce

I don't think BAR was a light machine gun.  It was sometimes used as one, but it never really worked well.  The best light machine gun was Type 99 in Japanese service.  You could put a bayonet on it!

We are not talking the best. FAVORITE. Read the original post.

My favorite is best. :sleep:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2013, 03:26:26 PM

According to vets, having a BAR in your squad and hearing it firing was a morale-booster, so there's that.

But also according to Vets, hearing the German MG34/42 open up was incredibly demoralizing. And the US Army had no answer for it, and the Germans used them as squad level weapons - sometimes 2 per squad in fact.

True.

QuoteHell, the Germans pretty much built the squad around the MG34/42 LMG.

They had to, at least against the US.  K98's couldn't put out the volume of fire of the Garand.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

That small arms list ought to have a category appropriate to the StG 44.  Best next-generation weapon?  I guess it would only be competing with the SKS.

Also I think infantry anti-tank weapons deserve mention. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2013, 03:30:45 PM
Also we are forgetting some categories like light mortars and anti-tank rockets and grenades.  I suppose there is also anti-tank rifles, but there is no best since none of them were very useful.  The US 60mm mortar was a huge advantage and nobody had anything close to it.

Small arms you git. Again read the post.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Quote from: 11B4V on April 22, 2013, 02:55:46 PM
Warships

1. Patrol Boats- US PT Boats
2. Frigate-??
3- Destroyers-??
4- Cruiser- Gneisenau
5- Battleships- Any Iowa Class
6- Aircraft Carrier- USS Enterprise
7. Subs- ??
1 - E-boats
2 - Flower-class corvette
3 - Sumner-class
4 - HMS Norfolk
5 - HMS Warspite
6 - HMS Ark Royal
7 - Pure evil.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on April 22, 2013, 03:34:09 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2013, 03:26:26 PM

True.

QuoteHell, the Germans pretty much built the squad around the MG34/42 LMG.

They had to, at least against the US.  K98's couldn't put out the volume of fire of the Garand.

True - the Garand was an excellent weapon.

It frustrates me that the US infacntry in WW2 did not have the Garand AND an excellent LMG. No reason they could not have, other than obtuseness.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on April 22, 2013, 03:40:31 PM

That is easy. The Germans had the best by far.

The Panzerfaust as a disposable, 1 man weapon that made every enemy tank around terrified, and the Pazerschreck as the best crew served infantry AT weapon.

Both could destroy just about any target they were likely to come up against, and could be used against hardened positions as well (although with the PF you ahd to get pretty close).

The bazooka, while simple, effective, and a great weapon, simply could not reliably take out German armor.

0 rows returned

Neil

On the other hand, bazooka was a better name.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on April 22, 2013, 03:41:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2013, 03:30:45 PM

Small arms you git. Again read the post.

You included heavy machine guns like the .50 which was anti-tank and an anti-air weapon.  Since you were including machine guns I figured anything that would fit in a rifle company. 

11B4V

AFV's

Tanks: M24, Sherman Firefly, Panther, M-26
Assault Gun: StuG III
SP AT (Turreted included): Nashorn
SP ARTY: Hummel
Armored Car: SdKfz 234
APC/Half Track: M-3

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on April 22, 2013, 03:40:31 PM
That small arms list ought to have a category appropriate to the StG 44.  Best next-generation weapon?  I guess it would only be competing with the SKS.

Yea but it was rather unquie. So, it could go in the Battle Rifle for this.