And we're back!

Main Menu

Fav WW2 equipment.

Started by 11B4V, April 22, 2013, 11:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2013, 12:52:27 PM
Brewster Buffalos had swastikas in Finnish Service.  I think that's what he talking about.

I'm not good with planes.
Brewster Aeronautical used to have a factory like a mile from where I grew up.  I don't think the Buffalo was made there... I think they manufactured another failed design there (a light bomber IIRC).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

My favourite WWII plane was any RCAF plane that my grandfather flew in (he was a wireless operator).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Small arms is next category

1. Pistol- M1911
2. Submachines Gun- PPSh
3. Battle Rifle- M1 Garand
4. Light MG- BAR
5. Med MG- MG34/42
6. Heavy MG- Ma Deuce
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2013, 01:40:35 PM
My favourite WWII plane was any RCAF plane that my grandfather flew in (he was a wireless operator).
My grandfather did the same for the USAAF. :hug:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

1. Pistol- M1911
2. Submachine Gun- MP40 (PPSh-41 close second)
4. Light MG- Bren
5. Med MG- MG42
6. Heavy MG- MG42

7. Sniper rifle- K98k
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

1. Fighter:  P-40
2. Fighter Bomber:  P-47   
3. Dive Bomber:  Ju-87
4. Ground Attack:  Hs-123
5. Med Bomber:  Wellington
6. Heavy Bomber- B-17

The Minsky Moment

On planes I'm partial to the P-39, as an example of how even a flawed design can be used to effect by employing it to maximize its strengths and minimize its weaknesses.
Also the Corsair, for versatility and sheer longevity.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2013, 12:52:27 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 22, 2013, 12:48:14 PM
:hmm: Yes?

Brewster Buffalos had swastikas in Finnish Service.  I think that's what he talking about.

I'm not good with planes.

:yes:

Sure you are.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Warships

1. Patrol Boats- US PT Boats
2. Frigate-??
3- Destroyers-??
4- Cruiser- Gneisenau
5- Battleships- Any Iowa Class
6- Aircraft Carrier- USS Enterprise
7. Subs- ??
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on April 22, 2013, 01:58:42 PM
Small arms is next category

1. Pistol- M1911
2. Submachines Gun- PPSh
4. Light MG- BAR
5. Med MG- MG34/42
6. Heavy MG- Ma Deuce

I don't think BAR was a light machine gun.  It was sometimes used as one, but it never really worked well.  The best light machine gun was Type 99 in Japanese service.  You could put a bayonet on it!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

Hood
Vittorio Veneto
Prinz Eugen
Nagato
Richelieu
KGV

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2013, 03:01:44 PM
I don't think BAR was a light machine gun.  It was sometimes used as one, but it never really worked well. 

I agree up to a point.  It was the first squad automatic weapon, and doesn't fit your traditional definition of a machinegun.  But it was pretty effective in many situations.  It was reliable & dead-accurate-- you could put all 20 rounds from a magazine into a small target.  And being .30-06 rounds they penetrated well.  It had its limitations (small magazine size & non-changeable barrel) but it was a very valuable squad weapon for its time.

According to vets, having a BAR in your squad and hearing it firing was a morale-booster, so there's that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

1. Patrol Boats:  US PT Boats
2. Frigate:  US Cannon class
3- Destroyers:  US Fletcher class
4- Cruiser:  USS Pensacola
5- Battleship:  USS West Virginia
6- Aircraft Carrier:  HMS Eagle
7. Sub:  Surcouf 

Razgovory

Eh, it wasn't first squad automatic weapon.  It was made in 1918.  There were several weapons before.  Some of them better.  The US didn't adopt the excellent Lewis gun because head of the ordinance board didn't like the inventor.  There was a Danish gun, the Madsen, but it was too complicated mechanically.  The French had a Chauchat but it had the disadvantage of not actually working.  The BAR was a strange weapon.  To heavy to be a rifle, it fired to slow and and had to small a magazine to be a good SAW or light machine gun.  Soldiers liked it because they didn't have anything else.  Clearly the army was dissatisfied with it, (they had some strange notions on how it was to be used, soldier were to hip fire it while walking toward the enemy), and late in the war the army tried to convert the 1919 Machine guns into SAWs. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017