U.S. Boy Scouts set to end ban on gay members

Started by garbon, April 19, 2013, 10:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Caliga on March 03, 2014, 07:50:23 PM
Interesting, my uncle refused to hire a tranny to be a principal in his school district in NJ a while back.  Wonder if it was before their discrimination laws, or if he figured out some other way to avoid hiring him?

I had to google tranny to see what it means.
Apparently it means transvestite, and it can be homosexual, transsexual, bisexual, and heterosexual.

Now I have to google all those terms.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

Quote from: Siege on March 04, 2014, 02:04:32 PM
Interesting, my uncle refused to hire a tranny to be a principal in his school district in NJ a while back.  Wonder if it was before their discrimination laws, or if he figured out some other way to avoid hiring him?

Apparently it means transvestite, and it can be homosexual, transsexual, bisexual, and heterosexual.

Use google image search.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2014, 03:18:02 PM
Is banning gay troup leaders contrary to US human rights laws (Fed or State)?

Most of the Fed laws are Civil Rights era legislation (some later for crips) back when gays were still considered criminal monsters anyway so they don't cover sexual orientation. Some States are more protective. But without putting myself out as an expert (although the motherfucking 8 hour anti-discrimination training class I have to attend every year as a Federal manager might make me more informed than I want) I think most of these laws, State or Federal, tend to focus on discrimination in employment, public accommodations etc. Being a troop leader is not a job and it's essentially a volunteer position in a private organization. It probably doesn't fall under the purview of these laws which is why even in liberal States that have extended civil rights protections to gays I don't believe there's any cases of the scouts being forced to accept gay troop leaders.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2014, 01:36:14 PMThere was a gay fellow who was terminated from one of the major firms a number of years back.  He was convinced it was because he was gay.  The truth was he was a terrible lawyer.  The other thing he didnt know is the guy who fired him was also gay.   At least the terminated fellow sure carried on like he didnt know his boss was gay as he wrote a number of scathing emails accusing his boss of being homophobic.

Friend of mine who is a New Orleans lawyer at one of the top firms down there told me they hired a guy fresh out of Tulane's law school that was basically an ideal candidate, was near the top of his class, etc etc. Interviewed very strongly, as well. His first day on the job (and this was like in 1991, not recently), the fresh-faced, well groomed guy from the interview was gone. Instead a dude (appropriately dressed in a suit, at least) shows up with a green mohawk and 3-4 different piercings visible on his head (ears, lip etc.) I'm not sure anyone truly knew what to do right at first, so he made it to lunch, when he went opened up a thing of raw ground beef, dumped some salt on it and started eating it at his desk.

He was gone before end of business.  :D

sbr

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 04, 2014, 02:08:12 PM

Use google image search.
I work with a guy who is a bit strange.  Very religious; lives up in the hills, almost off the grid;barely literate; the wife home schools his kids; not technology savvy at all.  Very nice guy but nearly Amish, or even more out there.

He wanted to buy a post hole digger, so he logged onto his PC and googled it; he entered the wrong thing though and googled post hole pounder.  He was rather traumatized by the image results.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on March 04, 2014, 02:16:55 PM

Use google image search.
I work with a guy who is a bit strange.  Very religious; lives up in the hills, almost off the grid;barely literate; the wife home schools his kids; not technology savvy at all.  Very nice guy but nearly Amish, or even more out there.

He wanted to buy a post hole digger, so he logged onto his PC and googled it; he entered the wrong thing though and googled post hole pounder.  He was rather traumatized by the image results.

Tease. I don't have safe search on and I got nothing but farming equipment and bowling balls...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 02:19:28 PM
Tease. I don't have safe search on and I got nothing but farming equipment and bowling balls...

Is that code for something?  :hmm:

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2014, 02:20:26 PM

Is that code for something?  :hmm:

In this case, code for disappointment. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Use google image search.

... and the next day he needed a corn-holer.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2014, 02:31:08 PM

Use google image search.

... and the next day he needed a corn-holer.  :D

Now that one was odd. A man in bunny ears wearing diapers while holding a stuffed bear.

celedhring

Use google image search.

The ones I get are all big, long, hard and red.

http://ruralaspirations.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/pounder.jpg

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/boy-scouts-shutdown-troop-for-refusing-to-banish-gay-scoutmaster-171244503.html

QuoteBoy Scouts shutdown troop for refusing to banish gay scoutmaster

Minister of sponsor church says boys will continue meeting regardless

The Boy Scouts of America, one of the country's largest and oldest youth organizations, has shutdown a Seattle troop and pack for refusing to remove an openly homosexual scoutmaster.

In a letter sent last week from BSA attorney Steven P. McGowan to Seattle attorney Peter J. Mullenix, the Scouts fault Rainier Beach United Methodist Church for allowing Geoff McGrath to serve in violation of their policy that "does not allow open or avowed homosexuals to serve as volunteer adult leaders."

The chapter is being closed "as a result of this refusal to comply with the policies, guidelines, rules and regulations of the Boy Scouts of America," according to the letter. It goes on to say Troop 98 may "no longer use the Scouting program or any of its registered marks or brands."

However, Rev. Monica Corsaro, minister of the Seattle troop's host church, told Yahoo News on Monday that the 15 Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts will meet this week as though nothing has changed. But will they wear their uniforms?

"Those boys paid for those uniforms," Corsaro said. "It will not be me telling them to not wear their uniforms."

McGrath, 49, made headlines last month when BSA leadership said they learned through a news story that he was gay. The National Council immediately removed McGrath from its rolls for "deliberately injecting" his sexuality into the job. McGrath maintains the organization had known all along about his open support of gay rights.

Last May, the Scouts broke 103 years of tradition when it decided to allow openly gay members into its ranks. The historic change, however, did not include accepting gay scout leaders. McGrath is believed to be first leader to lose his position since last year's policy change.

Corsaro defied the BSA's request to remove McGrath.

"Based on our religious principles, we will continue to act as an autonomous church that does not discriminate," said Rev. Corsaro, according to a press release from Scouts for Equality, a national advocacy organization.

The church and McGrath are represented by the same Seattle attorney. On Monday, Corsaro told Yahoo News that they are weighing their legal options on how to proceed.

Zach Wahls, executive director of Scouts for Equality, called the move to revoke the troops' charter startling.

"The Boy Scouts' decisions only serve to hurt a group of boys who need the values and leadership of someone like Scoutmaster McGrath," Wahls wrote in a statement. "Unfortunately, the BSA's decision calls into question its commitment to leadership and values by perpetuating an outmoded policy rooted in fear and discrimination. History will show that today's announcement is a self-inflicted wound."

The BSA's letter stated arrangements have been made to allow members of Troop 98 to transfer to another unit.

McGrath, according to Scouts for Equality, was disappointed by the Scouts' action to shutter the troop.

"Pastor Corsaro specifically sought out someone with my Scouting background to help get these units off the ground, and her church is now being told to violate their religious convictions," McGrath said in a statement. "It's unconscionable and irreverent."

Valmy

Wow what a bunch of d-bags.  They cannot just silently wink and nod about that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Valmy on April 21, 2014, 01:49:26 PM
Wow what a bunch of d-bags.  They cannot just silently wink and nod about that?

;) :yes:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"