U.S. Boy Scouts set to end ban on gay members

Started by garbon, April 19, 2013, 10:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/u-boy-scouts-set-end-ban-gay-members-150711650.html

QuoteThe Boy Scouts of America called to end a long-standing ban on openly gay members, a spokesman said on Friday, but the organization's board must still vote in May on whether to ratify the resolution.

If the vote is approved, "no youth may be denied membership in the Boy Scouts of America on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone," Deron Smith, the organization's spokesman, told Reuters.

Smith noted that the decision drew from three months of research, surveys and discussions and was "among the most complex and challenging issues facing the BSA and society today."

The deliberations over whether to admit openly gay and lesbian members to the Boy Scouts has divided organizers, polarized its corporate and religious sponsors, and placed the group at the center of a nationwide debate over gay rights over the past two years.

"This is a historic change for the Boy Scouts," said Patrick Boyle, whose 1994 book "Scout's Honor" examined sexual abuse in the Boy Scouts of America.

"You have a more than hundred-year-old organization changing what it considered a fundamental belief just a decade ago. That says a lot about the Scouts and a lot about how far the gay rights movement has come in the United States."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

I'm sure it's great for your cause, but how many gay threads do we need.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

fhdz

This is an excellent policy change.

The Boy Scouts teach awesome skills; a gay kid should be able to partake of that kind of education.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on April 19, 2013, 10:58:10 AM

You don't have to read them. :)

Besides, I don't think allowing gay members into the boy scouts really has any tangible benefits for me besides general increased tolerance for homosexuality. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2013, 11:03:10 AM

Besides, I don't think allowing gay members into the boy scouts really has any tangible benefits for me besides general increased tolerance for homosexuality. :unsure:

No, they could teach you Nancys some woodcraft/survival skills. Dont sell them short.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

True, but you will all get your day in the near future.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

Cal, you were a boy scout, weren't you? Eagle Scout, iirc. So answer this question for me:

1.) BSA said that gays were not allowed in the BSA because they're a Christian organization.
2.) There are Christians who do not believe that being gay is a sin.
3.) BSA isn't affiliated with a particular Christian church.

Am I correct on all of the above?

If I am, why haven't the Christians who have no issue with homosexuality stepped up and said so?

This is the part that gets me. I know a lot of Christians who say things like, "Well, I'm not one of those kinds of Christians. I believe in equal rights for everyone. I'm not a fundy nutjob." And yet, you never hear those people, in a Christian organization, saying, "How about we represent all Christians and not just you fundy nutjobs?"
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

He reads them as long as they don't act "faggy".

Martinus

So gays are already allowed into the army and boyscouts? What's next? The KKK and neonazis?

It's laughable how we want to be a part of those patriarchal (para)military circle-jerks.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on April 19, 2013, 02:21:19 PM
So gays are already allowed into the army and boyscouts? What's next? The KKK and neonazis?

It's laughable how we want to be a part of those patriarchal (para)military circle-jerks.

The AB needs to get diversified too.

Martinus

Quote from: 11B4V on April 19, 2013, 02:23:14 PM

Wassat?

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on April 19, 2013, 02:24:24 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 19, 2013, 02:23:14 PM

Wassat?

AB=Aryan Brohood