News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Explosions at Boston Marathon

Started by Darth Wagtaros, April 15, 2013, 02:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2013, 09:35:48 AM
The right-wing crazies are simply louder - in that they for whatever reasons have their views heard more, in the media, in comments on the Internet, whatever.

With more money.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2013, 11:19:55 AM
The right-wing crazies are simply louder - in that they for whatever reasons have their views heard more, in the media, in comments on the Internet, whatever.

With more money.

Specifically, with regard to the success of Fox, I think conservatives watch TV at higher rates than others. Lots of people are unplugging from TV.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

They certainly listen to talk radio at higher rates.  That was observed before the big talk radio boom in the late 80's-90's.  I strongly suspect there is a bigger appetite for reaffirming your own opinion in right wing circles.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on April 23, 2013, 05:11:46 PM
They certainly listen to talk radio at higher rates.  That was observed before the big talk radio boom in the late 80's-90's.  I strongly suspect there is a bigger appetite for reaffirming your own opinion in right wing circles.

I am pretty sure confirmation bias afllicts us all.  Everything I read confirms that view.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2013, 05:16:58 PMI am pretty sure confirmation bias afllicts us all.  Everything I read confirms that view.

That's what I've read as well.

CountDeMoney

DGuller

Agreed.  The very nature of being a right winger makes you more vulnerable to seeking out blowhards to reaffirm your view, just like the very nature of being left winger makes you more vulnerable to being fickle and apathetic.  That's why there is no successful leftist Rush Limbaugh, just like there is no successful rightist Jon Stewart.

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2013, 05:16:58 PM
I am pretty sure confirmation bias afllicts us all.  Everything I read confirms that view.
:lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 23, 2013, 06:02:05 PM
That's why there is no successful leftist Rush Limbaugh

Olberman had a pretty good run.

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 23, 2013, 01:22:37 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2013, 11:19:55 AM

With more money.

Specifically, with regard to the success of Fox, I think conservatives watch TV at higher rates than others. Lots of people are unplugging from TV.

I suspect that the 24 hour news audience was older, whiter, and more well off than the general population even without people unplugging.

In terms of unplugging from cable, perhaps a bigger effect should be showing up in newspapers. Probably a good chunk of existing subscriptions are to nursing homes. 15 years ago if you told me I wouldn't have a newspaper subscription today, I would assume I somehow ended up homeless (and even then would be using a newspaper as a blanket).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2013, 06:40:08 PM
That's why there is no successful leftist Rush Limbaugh

Olberman had a pretty good run.
Such a good run that he gets fired every couple of hours.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 23, 2013, 08:48:04 PM
Such a good run that he gets fired every couple of hours.

"Had" is the past tense of to have. 

Razgovory

Agreed.  The very nature of being a right winger makes you more vulnerable to seeking out blowhards to reaffirm your view, just like the very nature of being left winger makes you more vulnerable to being fickle and apathetic.  That's why there is no successful leftist Rush Limbaugh, just like there is no successful rightist Jon Stewart.

There is a temptation to think right wingers and left wingers are just mirrors of each other.  I do not think this is true.  For instance, there is a major gap between Democrats and Republicans on the topic of compromise.   http://www.gallup.com/poll/144359/democrats-republicans-differ-views-compromise.aspx
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 23, 2013, 08:58:14 PM

There is a temptation to think right wingers and left wingers are just mirrors of each other.  I do not think this is true.  For instance, there is a major gap between Democrats and Republicans on the topic of compromise.   http://www.gallup.com/poll/144359/democrats-republicans-differ-views-compromise.aspx

I noticed you picked a poll that was taken right at the height of the Tea Party movement :hmm:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall